UK Professor Contends UK is Responsible for Genocide

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Jan 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is from a speech delivered by Martin Shaw, (a sociologist of global politics, war and genocide. He is Research Professor of International Relations at the University of Sussex) to the Military Studies Department at Kings College earlier this week:

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

'Martin Shaw delivered the annual war-studies lecture at King's College, London on 26 January 2010. '

he should have stuck to appearing in The Professionals.

3. When I first saw the article I wondered if he was one in the same--I liked him especially as Commander Daigleish.

4. Hardly a cast-iron case. My guess is that he's on the hunt for a research grant and/or some publicity.

5. This is just a continuum of the "we don't own the world but we should apologise for everything anyway". These are allegedly educated people who astonishingly have no concept that from day one everybody was not born equal and the borders of the planet were forged in conflict. They’d probably look at you blankly if you said something like; ‘do you realise nothing happens in a business until something is sold?’

All we need now is for that stupid woman who was on TV recently, to reappear saying ‘we are all the same’ :omg: What, a carbon based life-form? Has anyone heard of ‘natural selection’, do they know part of it means the strong kill the weak? I wonder what they think happened to the Neanderthals? Do they think that civilisations became defunct because they got bored being the boss?

Stalin systematically killed more than Hitler, but I never hear of them being commemorated? Is Shaw et al going to lecture in Africa? Maybe Zimbabwe – topical :?

No.9

6. This speech cites Lenin and references supposed British collusion with Zionists, and you take it seriously?

Agreed.

7. This is another canard flying expedition like the Obama teleprompter post.
    ADHD alert.
    :sleepy:

8. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

"Yet the record is distinctly unimpressive: Britain may not bear the shame of facilitating a particular horrific massacre (as the Dutch do for Srebrenica in 1995)"

I thought that the Serbs were responsible for the massacre at Srebrenica. IIRC the Dutch were operating under rules imposed on them by the UN. No doubt Mr Shaw would bleat about the 'illegality' of the Iraq War because the UN didn't agree to it (allegedly) but here he seems to suggest that the Dutch UN soldiers at Srebineca should have acted illegally.

In reality its the attitude of cnuts like Mr Shaw which so stymied the Dutch UN contingent from acting in Srebinica which 'facilitated' the massacre. He and his ilk also gave succour to Saddam Hussain which ultimately caused him to make a very poor judgment call in early 2003.

9. All nations have done disgusting things in their past. These should be acknowledged but it does no good to keep apologising for them.
    Standards of behaviour change, what we consider to be barbaric was at one time the norm.
    By the time the 20th century was reached, amongst the "civilised" nations, certain standards should reasonably have been expected to apply.

10. Please Lord, protect us from the sociologists.

B

11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Flashman described 'snoopopathic meddlers who strut about with a fly whisk and a notebook, prodding lies out of the natives and over-tipping the dragoman on college funds' sums it up quite nicely.

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I stopped reading at "Martin Shaw, (a sociologist"

In case you're wondering, all sociologists are merely left-wing failures at life and all the proper things to learn at School, College and Uni. Usually fat, bald and short, but almost certainly bullied a lot from an early age and in the habit of pilfering oxygen belonging to others.

The only thing they will approve of is things involving mass social control and experiementation, invariably involving spending huge amounts of other people's money on others who can barely wipe their own arrses.

Oh, and war is baddd mmmmmmkay!

13. I'm very disappointed he forgot about the Paddiecaust!
    [​IMG]
    That's me on the left.

14. What he seems to ignore is the subtle difference between states that have deliberately set out to eliminate populations and those that have caused mass suffering through incompetence and / or neglect. Britain does bear some significant responsibility for the large-scale deaths in the Irish and Indian famines and the South African concentration camps. BUT in none of these cases was it government policy to deliberately eliminate populations; the relief effort aimed at Ireland may have been tragically inadequate (and for a long time, virtually non-existent) but there is a wide gulf between that and wilfully destroying an entire population.

It's interesting that he cannot give a modern example of Britain engaging in genocide, instead listing examples where she has 'facilitated' genocide or stood by while it has taken place. You could say the same about most Western states - the USA and France included. But again, there is a world of difference between failing to act and actually conducting genocide yourself. And to include an example from 1069 is, quite frankly, utterly ludicrous.

What such people have to decide is: do you want the West to police the world or not? You can't have it both ways.

15. Quoting Biped's reply......

quote...In case you're wondering, all sociologists are merely left-wing failures at life and all the proper things to learn at School, College and Uni. Usually fat, bald and short, but almost certainly bullied a lot from an early age and in the habit of pilfering oxygen belonging to others.

The only thing they will approve of is things involving mass social control and experiementation, invariably involving spending huge amounts of other people's money on others who can barely wipe their own arrses.

unquote...

Sorry, I cannot resist it.............. Thought immediaty that you were talking about Sven/Whet !!!!!!