UK PPE production & ventilator drive JCB, Dyson, Barbour, SME's etc.

Perhaps I am being picky - but hey, I am being picky -

the second photo is a CPAP device. It is not a ventilator.
Secondly - the Twitter feed says uses less oxygen than a ventilator.
Wrong - can't be. CPAP deliver 25 litres a minute in volume.
A ventilator usually scales upwards of 15 litres with capacity for more, but the purpose of the ventilator is not volume, but pressure to maintain expansion and nil collapse of the alveoli. This can sometimes be done with lower volumes. Also, the FiO2 delivered at the tissues doesn't need to be all oxygen as this leads to problems later on when trying to wean folk off.
it a tank =-|
That's the CPAP that's a form of non-invasive ventilation. You can see why people outside the field are getting confused.

OAGAAG

Crow
That's the CPAP that's a form of non-invasive ventilation. You can see why people outside the field are getting confused.
Perhaps - it is understandable for the lay public, I agree.
However, these things are fuelled by MSM.

Even yesterday, stokes such as Robert Peston and James O'brien are making wild accusations about reagents and testing. Peston tried to show up Professor Jonathan Nguyen Van Tam, an expert in epidemiology and influenza specifically saying untruthful things about combined antigens and antibodiy tests (which cannot exist). The reporter further sowed confusion defending his statements against an expert that deals with disease transmission.

When MSM indicate that you can make a ventilator or the gas consumption is different than reality, someone is likely to say - hold on - not true ...... because it just doesn't help progress things.

If I take a large balloon, fill it with air, then place this over a mouthpiece or a straw, and forceably expel the air outwards into the poor patient, I will be providing ventilation ...... however, it remains just a balloon, not a ventilator.

YetAnotherRock

War Hero
It’s interesting how many companies PR departments are in virtue signalling overdrive. The UK ventilator program, coordinated by PA consulting has just production tested a proven ventilator design at Luton. I really like the fact that Smiths PLC (who are generally cnuts) gave it’s IP away for free to the likes of BAE and Rolls Royce for it’s proven and approved ventilator designs to help meet demand.

gung_hobo

Old-Salt
For most of my life I have tried to "Buy British" and where it is not a British company, have tried to buy items that are manufactured in Britain or where I can find out, that have significant R&D or components from UK companies. I will be extremely interested to see published lists of UK companies and organizations that have risen to the occasion and especially where intellectual or other rights have been shared to other companies in a better position to achieve the overarching aim. It is hoped that such selfless actions will not be abused by others. In any event, whilst I have little need to purchase a personal ventilator for example, I will peruse other offerings of these selfless companies and even if their products are more expensive than for others purchased elsewhere I intend to favour the companies that I believe are doing the right thing when it matters.

It is hoped that UK will produce a guide to UK companies (and others that perhaps have a facility in UK) that went above and beyond. I would also be interested in a list of those countries or regions thereof, or companies themselves, that decided on a "Me, Me, Me first" type attitude as I would like to become the stranger to them that clearly they regard me as at the moment. Germany springs to mind.

On this somewhat vitriolic note, I hope that we do not do this to others. The USA (just look at The State of New York, but also many other countries) is having a pretty ghastly time of it and if UK companies make breakthrough developments in antibody or antigen tests, in designing new ventilators or CPAP (if the acronym is correct...) breathers and a host of other R&D type things, then I hope that we will selflessly for the greater good share the knowledge and manufacturing techniques etc. The difference between a 98% reliable test and a 99.5% test might seem trivial but is vital. Of course it is better if it is infallible but perfection takes time. To probably misquote "Good enough on time is better than perfect but too late". This was stated for rather different procurement issues but still holds true. UK is very good at soft power and now is a good time to help others.

To OAGAAG two posts above, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the interview between Peston and Nguyen Van Tam (now insert half a dozen lines of titles/qualifications medical/virology/pandemic etc. etc. etc.). It was laughable that Peston felt the good Professor was "aggressive" in his replies as it was quite difficult for him to actually answer the question(s) due to the constant very aggressive and ignorant "over-talking/questioning" by Peston. Personally I am waiting for one of the experts to come out with something along the lines of "Is there anybody else I can talk to? Preferably somebody who has at least a vague idea what they are talking about and can ask relevant and meaningful questions without me having to correct your basic ignorance of the subject?" One can but dream.

Stay safe and healthy and if that is not possible then die happy and very drunk!

GH

CAE, a Canadian aerospace manufacturer of things like flight simulators, say they have developed a ventilator and will begin producing it in Montreal as soon as they have approval from Health Canada. They are currently sourcing suppliers of components. They developed the first prototype in 11 days.
CAE Develops Ventilator to Help Fight COVID-19

CAE, a Canadian aerospace manufacturer of things like flight simulators, say they have developed a ventilator and will begin producing it in Montreal as soon as they have approval from Health Canada. They are currently sourcing suppliers of components. They developed the first prototype in 11 days.
CAE Develops Ventilator to Help Fight COVID-19
and medical simulators, they're not brand new to the world of healthcare

Canada will build 30,000 ventilators using Thornhill Medical, CAE, Ventilators for Canadians and StarFish Medical.
Canada working to produce up to 30,000 ventilators domestically: Trudeau
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his government is teaming up with a handful of Canadian companies to produce up to 30,000 ventilators — a critical piece of equipment in the battle against COVID-19.

"To keep our frontline workers safe and care for Canadians with COVID-19, we need a sustainable, stable supply of these products, and that means making them at home," he said today during his daily news briefing outside Rideau Cottage in Ottawa.

Trudeau said the government is working with Thornhill Medical, CAE, Ventilators for Canadians and a group led by StarFish Medical to produce the 30,000 machines. He did not say when they'll be ready.
If it tuns out that not all 30,000 will be needed in Canada, then they will be available for other countries.
"If we end up making more ventilators than Canada needs because Canadians continued ... social distancing, continued to follow [the] best health advice, that'll be great news and we will have ventilators to share with other countries that are facing more difficult circumstances. For us, doing more right now, doing quicker right now, is really the only option."
Also in the story is news that the US has reversed themselves and allowed at least some orders of N95 masks from American companies to continue to be shipped to Canada for now. There were news reports that the Canadian government has been dropping broad hints in Washington about how the US relies on Canada for certain critical PPE and medical services, including being one of the few sources for medical grade raw material to make mask filters. A light bulb seems to have gone on in Washington, and limited shipments have resumed for now. This however doesn't remove the urgency around setting up independent supply chains in Canada.
B.C. mill doubles production, ships medical pulp south despite U.S. export ban

The ventilators made by SEAT (the car company) have now gone into production. 300 of them came off the production line after they were approved. The first batch were delivered to a hospital in Badalona in the Catalan Region.
They now aim to produce 300 of these ventilators per day and Correos (the Spanish post office) are delivering them to hospitals.

Euro Weekly News

Haven't heard anything more on the ones produced by Valencia Polytech but they were ready to go into production before last weekend.

Valencia Polytech

Yokel

LE
If the industrialised West produces enough ventilators to supply some to developing nations then that will be a worthwhile and positive development. Improving critical care in the developing World would save many lives - many economically productive lives that poor countries need.

This should be a moment when we remember that being able to design and build equipment to demanding standards is hugely important for all nations.

Canada will build 30,000 ventilators using Thornhill Medical, CAE, Ventilators for Canadians and StarFish Medical.
Canada working to produce up to 30,000 ventilators domestically: Trudeau

If it tuns out that not all 30,000 will be needed in Canada, then they will be available for other countries.

Also in the story is news that the US has reversed themselves and allowed at least some orders of N95 masks from American companies to continue to be shipped to Canada for now. There were news reports that the Canadian government has been dropping broad hints in Washington about how the US relies on Canada for certain critical PPE and medical services, including being one of the few sources for medical grade raw material to make mask filters. A light bulb seems to have gone on in Washington, and limited shipments have resumed for now. This however doesn't remove the urgency around setting up independent supply chains in Canada.
B.C. mill doubles production, ships medical pulp south despite U.S. export ban
You are a much nicer lot.

Yokel

LE
Cobham re-purposes jet fighter tech for COVID-18 ventilators - UK Defence Journal

Cobham has announced that it has successfully modified its existing hardware used for oxygen systems in military aircraft to create an air pressure regulator, which can be used within a ventilator system to precisely control the flow of oxygen to the patient.

Also: Cobham’s support of the Ventilator Challenge is part of the company’s broader commitment to supporting the global fight against COVID-19, which includes leveraging its space pedigree in Application Specific Integrated Circuits (ASIC) to analyse the genomic sequence of the virus that causes COVID-19, to enable further insights into how COVID-19 is transmitted and evolve

Yokel

LE
More on what BAE Systems are doing here.

As well as supporting the national ventilator effort, employees across our business have rallied to donate vital Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to the NHS to help protect medical staff around the UK in the fight against Coronavirus.

Employees in our Air sector, who normally produce parts for combat aircraft including Eurofighter Typhoon, and our Submarines business are 3D printing parts for newly designed face shields. Meanwhile, we are sourcing tens of thousands of additional face shields through our supply chain to distribute to the NHS on our behalf, which means we will deliver more than 120,000 face shields to the NHS this month.

Every man and his dog with the ability to 3D print can help make PPE.

Perhaps I am being picky - but hey, I am being picky -

the second photo is a CPAP device. It is not a ventilator.
Secondly - the Twitter feed says uses less oxygen than a ventilator.
Wrong - can't be. CPAP deliver 25 litres a minute in volume.
A ventilator usually scales upwards of 15 litres with capacity for more, but the purpose of the ventilator is not volume, but pressure to maintain expansion and nil collapse of the alveoli. This can sometimes be done with lower volumes. Also, the FiO2 delivered at the tissues doesn't need to be all oxygen as this leads to problems later on when trying to wean folk off.

F..ing twitter twats again part of the armchair keyboard commando brigade talking shite without any knowledge of the devices they commenting on.

It's like listening to my sister point to AS90 and call it a tank =-|
You could always take it up with the designers, JFD, who say:

The InVicto™ ventilator is more advanced than CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) systems; it has been fully developed, including full in-house testing, and is ready for launch into full scale production and global distribution. The InVicto™ system can support global healthcare services by reducing pressure on intensive care unit (ICU) facilities, helping to save lives as the virus approaches its peak in many countries.

JFD has engineered the InVicto™ ventilator system, with extensive testing conducted in the JFD breathing laboratories.

New ventilator at Aberdeen lab to support fight against virus | Press and Journal

You reckon JFD might know a bit more about this subject than you think?

Seeing as we've managed not to run out of capacity, perhaps it's turned out not to be the problem that needs solving?

Every man and his dog with the ability to 3D print can help make PPE.
Friends of mine are fully underway on this, laser cutters are also superbly useful.

I personally love that that Barbour is using its Jarrow factory for making gowns for Hospitals in the NE.

Probably been said before , but I do like the jump in and help out attitude from lots of Brit industry who cover a wide range of disciplines.

Seeing as we've managed not to run out of capacity, perhaps it's turned out not to be the problem that needs solving?
Let's hope you are right and maybe it has reawakend Whitehall, the Oxbridge 'elite' and the legacy media to the fact that in Country comprehensive design and manufacturing capacity is critical in a crisis, and the over reliance on 'just in time' and ultra extended supply chains for 'shareholder value' is an utter nonsense when exposed to a proper stress test. It is also kick starting the drive to UK manufacturing solutions that the is envitable by product of this catastrophe (huzzah).

Reusable Graphene N99 face masks coming out of Manchester is next on my wanna see list.

Last edited:
That I don't get.
Does it work - yea or nay ?
If yea - get it rolling. We might decide that we don't need them now, but even if we don't, they are useful for other scenarios and we can always give them to places that need but don't have the budget for them. Failing that, its stock the NHS can draw on if some other nasty shite rears it ugly head in the future.

Probably been said before , but I do like the jump in and help out attitude from lots of Brit industry who cover a wide range of disciplines.
The unfortunate issue then is does the kit meet official standards for approval and use. It's really fantastic that companies crack on but if it doesn't meet approval it's wasted effort.

Latest Threads