UK PPE production & ventilator drive JCB, Dyson, Barbour, SME's etc.

Throught a positive thread about the top grade UK engineering application to our most pressing problem was in order

Just released from JCB

On the other end of the spectrum I have a mate whose workshop is now knocking out visors for health workers.

Already being attacked by the Dave Spart element on Facebook as Boris handing out contracts to Tory Party cronies.

You couldn't make it up.
There is sadly a core of those across all aspects of national life that seem more intent on pushing a political / agenda point rather than wanting to see some positives come out of this situation, Hopefully they will get ignored and found to be irrelevant as more of the population, business large and small turn towards making things work and work well, glass half full rather than half empty.

Throught a positive thread about the top grade UK engineering application to our most pressing problem was in order

Just released from JCB

On the other end of the spectrum I have a mate whose workshop is now knocking out visors for health workers.
I think we need a separate thread on that rather than derailing this one.
Or this thread could be combined with the other one on companies providing ventilators.

Yokel

LE
Already being attacked by the Dave Spart element on Facebook as Boris handing out contracts to Tory Party cronies.

You couldn't make it up.
I thought they were meant to be on the side of the workers? You know like the people at various companies and universities making things happen?

I saw a report this morning saying that a partnership between University College London and an F1 team had developed a breathing aid to stop people from needing ICU care.

The thread I started in the COVID-19 forum is here.

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Okay look at this:

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 14.39.26.png

There probably couldn't be a more skewed interpretation of events than that. But, it's being picked up and re-posted over and over because Johnson's an Evil Tory Bigot and as long as he and his billionaire mates are ok then the rest of us can get stuffed, and that includes the sheeple who voted for him.

...etc.

You couldn't make it up.

Of course, pointing out that Dyson and JCB aren't the only companies involved never quite gets a response...

Okay look at this:

View attachment 461156
There probably couldn't be a more skewed interpretation of events than that. But, it's being picked up and re-posted over and over because Johnson's an Evil Tory Bigot and as long as he and his billionaire mates are ok then the rest of us can get stuffed, and that includes the sheeple who voted for him.

...etc.

You couldn't make it up.

Of course, pointing out that Dyson and JCB aren't the only companies involved never quite gets a response...
Better not mention that JCB was Brexit Party aligned while May was in power (Jesus Christ I am so glad she is not in charge now) and only shifted to back to the Tories when Boris became PM

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
The big problem is that for every ventilator you need 6 to 10 syringe and fluid pumps, an entral feed pump, a suction unit a computerised vital signs monitor 2 gas source regulators and for 30% a haemofiltration machine and nitric oxcide unit. Then for each bed 6 staff per 24 hours.

It's not just about one facet but many coming together.

The big problem is that for every ventilator you need 6 to 10 syringe and fluid pumps, an entral feed pump, a suction unit a computerised vital signs monitor 2 gas source regulators and for 30% a haemofiltration machine and nitric oxcide unit. Then for each bed 6 staff per 24 hours.

It's not just about one facet but many coming together.
pffft, you’ll be wanting it to work properly as well.

I’ve been looking at my CPAP machine trying fo figure out how they’ve adapted them, buggered if I have a scooby

I’ve been looking at my CPAP machine trying fo figure out how they’ve adapted them, buggered if I have a scooby
I suspect it is the mask. I am led to believe that standard CPAP machines have no filter to prevent virus-laden aerosols from being distributed throughout the vicinity of the patient, and I suspect the modification that has been made is to include a filter.
Just a guess, though.

ETA: Possibly to get around the issues raised here:

I suspect it is the mask. I am led to believe that standard CPAP machines have no filter to prevent virus-laden aerosols from being distributed throughout the vicinity of the patient, and I suspect the modification that has been made is to include a filter.
Just a guess, though.

ETA: Possibly to get around the issues raised here:
It appears there’s an adaptor that plugs into the hospital oxygen supply, I’m guessing that doesn’t require a filter.

My CPAP just sucks air in from the environment then forces it down my fat neck, I’m guessing they’ve just attached a hose to the sucky in pipe and plugged it into the O2 supply.

It appears there’s an adaptor that plugs into the hospital oxygen supply, I’m guessing that doesn’t require a filter.

My CPAP just sucks air in from the environment then forces it down my fat neck, I’m guessing they’ve just attached a hose to the sucky in pipe and plugged it into the O2 supply.
Yeah, probably that too. The main issue, though, isn't forcing it down your neck, it's where the viral load goes when you breath out. Assuming you breath out...

Which is possibly why Gtech were told theirs aren't required.
A shame as I liked the story but if it don't do the job...

any link to this announcement?

Latest Threads