UK Politics - Broken Britain ?

Which voting system would you like to see used in UK national elections?

• First Past the Post (https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/voting-systems/)

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Single Transferable Vote

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Additional Member System

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Alternative Vote Plus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Two-Round System

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Alternative Vote

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Supplementary Vote

• Borda Count

• Party List Proportional Representation

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Dual Member Proportional

• Total voters
Oh yes, change will happen at the next election.
And I think the Liberal's/SNP/DUP/Independents will form a coalition with either the Tory's or labour.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Taking the original premise that the UK has been doing politics in the wrong way for the past 30 or so years - who has been the biggest influence on our domestic policy in that period? Clue, not in this country!

However, as soon as the population said it should be changed the poor jelly like people we have in Parliament go in to meltdown and the country drags to a grinding halt!

Change is on the way - just be patient and determined and it will happen.

There definitely seems to be a dilution of a peoples who once powered a major Empire round the Globe.

And so Rome fell.

@chrisg46 I still don't see how you can say the system works when it has delivered the current mess? PMTM is flying to Brussels to beg, the Unions within the UK are slowly falling away, the population is split 50/50 and utterly detests the other etc etc. If the system was working then none of this would be true.
I don’t think it is split 50/50. Far too simplistic IMO. You have leavers, I won’t call them hardcore, they’d aren’t, they/we voted to leave the EU & want to see that delivered. Then you have leavers who want a deal, then remainers who expect the democratic vote to be honoured, then remainiacs who are a bit like zealous religious fanatics & finally, those who couldn’t give a flying f*ck at a rolling donut about it all.

What has exposed our current system is parliament is overwhelmingly remain & the country voted to leave. Parliament has done its best since June 16 to subvert that vote & in the process taken a giant collective mess Webley to its foot.

In terms of quality in the HoC, yes it is low, even taking the nutters leave me lammy, Sourby etc out there isn’t any quality there. But I feel that kind of reflects society as a whole, everything s dumbed down.

JCC

Old-Salt
Just finished Isabel Hardman's book "Why We Get the Wrong Politicians" and found it quite interesting. It surprised me in that I had supposed that the thrust of her criticism would be the quality and breadth of candidates/MPs - however she goes into great lengths about the actual political system itself and how the partys will knowingly allow bad legislation to pass rather than take onboard, no matter how justified, constructive criticism just to save a Minister's face.

I came away with, though she doesn't say it, that it is our party system that is at the root of the problem which would support the push for a replacement of FPTP.

Last edited:
My Party allegiance is finished, dead.
I will now study the candidates and see how they voted in areas that I particularly give a shit about.
The person who ticks most of the boxes gets my vote. If none represent my thoughts, I will draw something puerile on the paper.

Also, politics should not be allowed to be a career, you can only serve 2 electoral terms.
Bin university degrees in it.
Nobody allowed to stand as an MP unless they have worked oooooh, 15 years doing something useful to society.

Bring back hanging for treason, and clear out the current swamp.

I think two changes could make a difference:

1. Being an MP being a regular job with MPs entitled to 25 days of leave only. The HoC would sit every other week; on the second week, the MP would have to be constituency-based.

2. A ban on MPs being on Twitter. This (Twitter) makes MPs act like idiots as they are playing up for an audience of those interested in politics; and those with strongly held views. This makes MPs take extreme positions and eschew compromise.

Yokel

LE
There definitely seems to be a dilution of a peoples who once powered a major Empire round the Globe.

And so Rome fell.
As someone who has started thread on themes such as integrity, learning from experience, cultural Marxism/neo fascism, and identity politics, I think the dilution of values has been the problem. It has not helped that post Colonial guilt, and the European project, and consumerism have all overshadowed any concept of what 'British' means.

Easter carries with it four hugely important themes, which traditionally have influenced the West. These are service to others, sacrifice, repentance, and forgiveness. These go hand in hand - particularly the last two. Today's society seems to have lost touch with the idea that we all make mistakes, instead a culture of blame avoidance and witch hunting has taken route.

We need to focus on similarities, not differences. We need to accept people make mistakes and create a culture in which mistakes can be admitted. We need to have a culture where politicians can admit mistakes, instead of defending a mistaken policy and suppressing criticism.

We need to stop blaming people - bankers, business owners, trade unions, the disabled, Jews, Muslims, black people, gays, or whoever.

Happy Easter.

Spoke with my daughter recently, she and her daughter (my grand daughter) has followed some of the Brexit debate. 13 year old comment, a lot of MP's don't know what they are talking about, same 13 year old shocked when informed by her mother that you need no qualification what so ever to be an MP. Is this the base line of the problem? Plus the 'safe seat' system?

JCC

Old-Salt
...It has not helped that post Colonial guilt, and the European project, and consumerism have all overshadowed any concept of what 'British' means.
I suspect that a lack of confidence can be blamed for a lot of what is going wrong. What is "British" values that immigrants are asked to take on board. We're supposed to be ashamed about so many things that were, in my youth, a source of pride. Nowadays "British" values seems to revolve around, cultural relativism, post-Colonial guilt and diversity. We in UK, in the West, have lost confidence in ourselves and our past.

Without a political system that works and has confidence in itself decline is inevitable.

JCC

Old-Salt
Spoke with my daughter recently, she and her daughter (my grand daughter) has followed some of the Brexit debate. 13 year old comment, a lot of MP's don't know what they are talking about, same 13 year old shocked when informed by her mother that you need no qualification what so ever to be an MP. Is this the base line of the problem? Plus the 'safe seat' system?
I'd go deeper and suggest that it is the party system itself.

JCC

Old-Salt
I think two changes could make a difference:

1. Being an MP being a regular job with MPs entitled to 25 days of leave only. The HoC would sit every other week; on the second week, the MP would have to be constituency-based.

2. A ban on MPs being on Twitter. This (Twitter) makes MPs act like idiots as they are playing up for an audience of those interested in politics; and those with strongly held views. This makes MPs take extreme positions and eschew compromise.
Would electronic voting that removes the need for MPs to go to the HoC to vote be possible? Be desirable?

Twatter is, unfortunately, not going away but shouldn't be a problem to adults.

Latest Threads