UK PLC......... Giving away our money once again

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr_d, Dec 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yes I agree. Knowing that our elected government were involved in kidnapping an innocent man and his wife and children and were intrumental in handing them over to a known psychotic despot who tortures and kills people for the fun of it.

Terrrible.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Weird. Al Megrahi spent 8 years trying to get back to Libya, this bloke gets a free trip and wants paying for it. Granted the government wasn't to his liking, but we provided a bit of assistance in accommodating his wishes.

Beside, he's evidently alive so his soujourn can't have been as bad as he'd anticipated.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Always nice to meet a fan of Tony Blair.

I imagine the electric shock treatment made Mr Al-Saadi's blood boil. Perhaps the evaporation of blood is why he weighed 7 stone when he got out of nick after 5 years of torture. Still, it must have been nice to see his kids again. They were 6, 9, 11 and 12 when they were kidnapped on Chinese sovereign soil and dragged screaming onto a CIA jet.

His crime? He opposed Gadaffi. And during Tony Blair's 'Deal in the Desert' Gaddafi's people asked for him and a few others to be returned for attention. Abdul Belhaj was lifted with his pregnant wife. Head of MI6 counter terrorism (yet clearly not the sharpest tool in the box) sent a creeping fax to Moussa Koussa which was found when Tripoli fell...

“I congratulate you on the safe arrival of [Mr Belhaj]. This was the least we could do for you and for Libya. I know I did not pay for the air cargo [but] the intelligence [on him] was British.”

• Like Like x 3
  4. If you read that article and it wound you up because of the compensation, you're a ****.

Whoever was involved in the decision to capture a family and send them to Libya to face torture (for nothing more damning than daring to oppose Gadaffi) needs holding to account.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Since a decision like this must have gone up to Minister level at least. Would now be a good time to suggest to the familiy that they insist on an enquiry to ID who signed off on this..?

• Like Like x 2
  6. We are nothing if not inconsistant / selective regarding Human Rights. I imagine the former residents of Diego Garcia read this stuff and wonder why HM Govt and the good ol' US of A don't abide by the court rulings regarding them and their little lump of land.

This particular case seems to warrant putting right.

7. Plus the fact that the alleged kidnap was in Hong Kong, surely Chinese territory in 2004! Try getting compo from China :-(

8. As I recall, treason was one of the last UK crimes to have the death penalty lifted.

I don't know the full involvement of MI6 in the incident, the quote says "intelligence" which could mean as extensive as "Here's his address in Hong Kong".

It's alluded that the CIA flew him out of HK and into Tripoli but I find no mention of a similar, much less larger, claim against the US government. Did his lawyers elect for the "soft touch"?

9. TheIronDuke

No. He elected to take the bunce (misquote here but pretty well what he said) "For the benefit of his family" who were decked on Chinese soil and dragged screaming onto a CIA white jet and delivered to Tripoli. Where Dad was tortured for FIVE ****ing YEARS.

This is not some bonkers terrorist. This is a quiet family man who though his homeland might benefit from a little freedom.

I have no problem with my taxes handing him £2.2m. I feel it shows remarkable restraint. If that shit had been pulled on me I would take the money and run. Then engineer a short but interesting conversation with Tony Blair an every other backstairs creepy motherfucker involved in laying hands on my children and torturing me.

And involving Great Britain in the kidnap of children, pregnant birds, betrayal and torture. Because that is kinda not what I pay my ****ing taxes for.

I pay my taxes so men, women, children and pregnant birds can walk the streets in safety.

• Like Like x 10
  10. Just shows how quickly the term 'freedom fighter' can change to 'terrorist' when Uncle Sam decrees it. And then how no-one can be found to blame when politics deems it prudent to change sides.

You'd have thought after all the shit in the 1980's with the USA Vs Libya, that the man would have been feted. I wonder if the Septics got him out of Libya and to HK and then kidnapped him when it suited them to appease Gaddafi - whom they then turned against - again ..........

11. I don't know the bloke, so I've only got info gleaned from the web to go on, but...

Former militants now wage battle within Libya to discredit al-Qaeda

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheIronDuke

The Washington Post. A lovely newspaper and only a 30 minute hop to Fairfax, VA on Route 66.

Look, I really couldn't give a **** if the boy was found over the corpse of Mother Theresa with a smoking AK47 in one hand and his dick in the other.

I have no problem with X-Box drones vapourising some ****** who wants to vapourise me. Bad things happen and there it is.

But when we, that is The Brits are creeping about providing info for a bunch of gung-ho Septics to batter a man and his wife and kids into prison in a third world shithole, for the sake of a few quid for BP?

Nah.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Fair play to the other claimant who has refused the money and is suing Jack Straw personally.

He deserves a pint and a handshake.

• Like Like x 1