UK Parcel carriers for shooting items

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Alsacien, Apr 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Due to too many commitments I am having trouble taking time in UK for the next month or so.
    I need to find a UK parcel carrier that can ship an antique rifle (1861 Snider Enfield to be exact) to Europe. The rifle is license free, classed as obsolete calibre antique - but paranoia reigns in UK.......... (5kg metal tube 4ft long with attached lump of wood)
  2. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

3. I think TNT is the only courier that still carries guns - they have a trade partnership with the Gun Trade association.
  4. DO NOT use Royal Mail. They are paranoid, and take great pleasure in ripping up gun-like parcels so the sorting office can shut down for extended coffee breaks whilst the police are informed. Also many of their services do not track the parcel.

As the previous poster suggest TNT are very good, members of the Gun Trade Association. When arranging collection inform them it is a firearm (imitation or not) and they will ask a list of questions regarding the condition of the firearm, seek assurances tha the firearm is securely packaged etc.

Best thing to do though is to go to your favourte gunshop who has an account with TNT and use them; the discounts to GTA members is massive.
  5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

We used to use TNT however they 'lost' a newly engraved action of our's worth in the region of 40 grand and refused to take any responsibilty for it. It was insured but obviously something that takes 18 months to hand build and engrave can't just be replaced. Result: very stroppy customer, lost sale etc.

We use UPS now and they seem to be very professional.

Edited to add: Someone, somewhere has a very nice shiny paperweight on their desk!
  6. There are lots of Courier Companies who do Europe on a regular basis. Costs more than your nationals but it will be looked after and not trans-shipped from vehicle to vehicle with the associated risks.

As a lot of couriers are ex forces there's no paranoia when it comes to firearms.

PM me if want more info, i know i can arrange it if you want.
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

TNT just told me they only do business to business - private.
    UPS say no because they do not carry anything over 100 years old.....
  8. We used to order TNT business-to-business for one package and they used to take any other packages we had at the same time, business or private. Best thing is to speak to an RFD who should be able to do the same trick.
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

PM sent.