UK para with US parachutist badge

@Alec_Lomas must have qualified for loads of them over the years.

I did the HALO/Jumpmaster course whilst on exchange with the USSF.

View attachment 379552
In 1970 the US didn't have HALO wings but they were introduced in 1994. In 2014 I was invited over to Fort Bragg for a wings presentation along with what was left of my old ODA Team. I wasn't interested in the wings per se but went over anyway just to meet the old team and have a few beers. Proper orders were cut etc.
I've had a drawer full of old wings and stuff given to me from my service days, and on my return from the USA the memsahib decided to dig them out and stick them on a board (or at least those I still had). Some are missing.
These things can get out of hand I'm afraid.
View attachment 379553
Fuck your old.

Did you get to hear the story about the barber in Pleiku first hand from LF?

LF was CO C-Team compound at Pleiku before Bad Tolz... the barber shop was next door to his office...
Aha! Ludwig Faistenheimer! Good bloke (well, he put up with me for 18 months!)
His SGM John Pioletti was another good bloke although very much a 'by the book' soldier.
Ludwig never told me about Pleiku but as this period was at the height of the Vietnam business I was never short of a war story.
And you're right. I am bloody old!

Last edited:
As two US generals have been posted wearing Brit wings, here is the current French Chief of the Army General Staff, General J-P. Bosser (former CO 8 RPIMa and Commander 11 Para Bde with his up:
1551127999606.png

He is also an honorary "Caporal" of the French Foreign Legion as seen in this picture:
1551128079939.png

Interesting to note the bling difference between him and the two afore-posted US Generals.

As two US generals have been posted wearing Brit wings, here is the current French Chief of the Army General Staff, General J-P. Bosser (former CO 8 RPIMa and Commander 11 Para Bde with his up:
View attachment 379740
He is also an honorary "Caporal" of the French Foreign Legion as seen in this picture:
View attachment 379741
Interesting to note the bling difference between him and the two afore-posted US Generals.
They look more Belgian than British. Looking more closely they are definitely not British issue. Cheap knock off's maybe.

Last edited:
It would appear that the Irish Guards are getting in on the unnecessary foreign bling act, though why the chap next to him with the QCVS/MiD is apparently missing a medal I'm not sure.

54436655_2242523039144496_7978889126646644736_o.jpg

Last edited:
It would appear that the Irish Guards are getting in on the unnecessary foreign bling act, though why the chap next to him with the QVCS/MiD is apparently missing a medal I'm not sure.

View attachment 382955
Takes a special kind of badge collector to wear French wings on service dress. What a fu*king mong.

It would appear that the Irish Guards are getting in on the unnecessary foreign bling act, though why the chap next to him with the QVCS/MiD is apparently missing a medal I'm not sure.

View attachment 382955
That just looks wrong.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Infantry 10
Outstanding Current Affairs, News and Analysis 41
nastyberganchafe ACF 22