UK para with US parachutist badge

Yeee haw! The very same. It nearly got a little “excited” when some enthusiastic two stepping was taken as a piss take rather than the best effort it was.
Bah. Should have stopped at the Flaming Mug if you were looking for some lively lads to twostep with. ;-)

The cloth is a unofficial beret badge for 3BN, 1BN has straighter antlers and no scroll underneath. Official 3BN is the 44Bde Griffon with 3 chutes above instead of the one big one behind.

It is my understanding that Vivat Bacchus, London does a loverly grilled springbok with biltong crust...
Cloth is official beret badge for 1Bn last I dealt with them. Both 2 & 3Bn wear the iron eagle on the beret. Shoulder flashes show either 2 or 3 canopies as recognition with the iron eagle. 1Bn shoulder flash is fish eagle stooping superimposed over canopy, some with with Ex Alto Vincimus motto. Straight horns is the SWA Spes gemsbok, not 1Bn springbok.

Last edited:
Having spent 3 years at ILLRP school under German tutilage I made it a point never to qualify for "wings". Always one descent short. I'd been through the 'hoo-hah' of previous experiences.
I don't understand the fascination of badges, but I'm aware it exists. I just got on with whatever was required at the time, albeit in this training environment I did make a stand.

The most unusual foreign wings I ever saw a Brit wearing were Iraqi ones in about 1990. Some British/Iraqi guy had combat jumped a couple of times during the Iran-Iraq war. The WTF? looks his chest got were a source of moderate amusement. He was a senior rank back then but must have retired decades ago.

The most unusual foreign wings I ever saw a Brit wearing were Iraqi ones in about 1990. Some British/Iraqi guy had combat jumped a couple of times during the Iran-Iraq war. The WTF? looks his chest got were a source of moderate amusement. He was a senior rank back then but must have retired decades ago.
I know him,top chap

Cloth is official beret badge for 1Bn last I dealt with them. Both 2 & 3Bn wear the iron eagle on the beret. Shoulder flashes show either 2 or 3 canopies as recognition with the iron eagle. 1Bn shoulder flash is fish eagle stooping superimposed over canopy, some with with Ex Alto Vincimus motto. Straight horns is the SWA Spes gemsbok, not 1Bn springbok.

Still looks like a griffon to me...

You're much closer than I am, my view from over here was...
SAPara.png

Thank you for clearing that up.

Having spent 3 years at ILLRP school under German tutilage I made it a point never to qualify for "wings". Always one descent short. I'd been through the 'hoo-hah' of previous experiences.
I don't understand the fascination of badges, but I'm aware it exists. I just got on with whatever was required at the time, albeit in this training environment I did make a stand.
Of course, you are obviously much to serious to ever deign to enjoy a bit of memorialized interoperability.

I bet you would run away from these as well...
bushwings.jpg

Still looks like a griffon to me...

You're much closer than I am, my view from over here was... View attachment 379396

Thank you for clearing that up.
Those look like the soopa doopa new updated insignia for a unit that no longer counts for much under the new dispensation. All the old unit insignia have changed and become a bit of a clown show but the paras seem to have followed more or less along the old lines.

Example of change in standards is two week selection now three days. Cuts/Koschei will have the lowdown.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
In 1944, Count Obolensky, a Russian émigré, qualified for both British and US para wings at the age of 50.

Op Dingo Rhodesia 1977.

One of the troops who jumped onto the resupply point was talking to the Boss who asked the last time he had been on an external raid from a Dak.

53 year old replied.

" Ah that would have been Arnhem, in fact one of our Daks was there as well."

Of course, you are obviously much to serious to ever deign to enjoy a bit of memorialized interoperability.

I bet you would run away from these as well...
View attachment 379398
For a period I was a PJI with access to the NATO para schools. Over a period there was a " jump, run,swim shoot" competition held respectively in each country 's schools for the staff. Acquiring a collection of wings was therefore fairly straightforward without having to put in the hard yards the regular troops had to .

I did the French basic course at ETAP / Pau ( badge no. 442115 ) and subsequently their Moniteur's course because I considered it to to one of the most technically proficient courses to attend of any I had viewed.

Op Dingo Rhodesia 1977.

One of the troops who jumped onto the resupply point was talking to the Boss who asked the last time he had been on an external raid from a Dak.

53 year old replied.

" Ah that would have been Arnhem, in fact one of our Daks was there as well."
I've heard that story from Peter Mac as well.

I've heard that story from Peter Mac as well.
All this talk of wings, cheeky question for you Alec: How many did you collect over the years? I knew one of our Cpl's who was on the freefall demo team who had managed to get 9 - he used to put up a different set every day on his combat jacket just to irk the CSM.

All this talk of wings, cheeky question for you Alec: How many did you collect over the years? I knew one of our Cpl's who was on the freefall demo team who had managed to get 9 - he used to put up a different set every day on his combat jacket just to irk the CSM.
@Alec_Lomas must have qualified for loads of them over the years.

I did the HALO Jumpmaster/Instructor course whilst on exchange with the USSF.

DSC00001_LI.jpg
In 1970 the US didn't have HALO wings but they were introduced in 1994. In 2014 I was invited over to Fort Bragg for a wings presentation along with what was left of my old ODA Team. I wasn't interested in the wings per se but went over anyway just to meet the old team and have a few beers. Proper orders were cut etc.
I've had a drawer full of old wings and stuff given to me from my service days, and on my return from the USA the memsahib decided to dig them out and stick them on a board (or at least those I still had). Some are missing.
These things can get out of hand I'm afraid.
IMG_20140530_154129.jpg

Last edited:
@Alec_Lomas must have qualified for loads of them over the years.

I did the HALO/Jumpmaster course whilst on exchange with the USSF.

View attachment 379552
In 1970 the US didn't have HALO wings but they were introduced in 1994. In 2014 I was invited over to Fort Bragg for a wings presentation along with what was left of my old ODA Team. I wasn't interested in the wings per se but went over anyway just to meet the old team and have a few beers. Proper orders were cut etc.
I've had a drawer full of old wings and stuff given to me from my service days, and on my return from the USA the memsahib decided to dig them out and stick them on a board (or at least those I still had). Some are missing.
These things can get out of hand I'm afraid.
View attachment 379553
Respect Sir.:)

Is that the Greek wing?

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Infantry 10
Outstanding Current Affairs, News and Analysis 41
nastyberganchafe ACF 22