UK or Germany

Discussion in 'RLC' started by D-Runner, Feb 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im joining RLC and was want to hear peoples opinions about what countrys better to serve in and why?

I dont know if you get the option but i was thinking to ask for Germany for a change of scenary.
  2. UK - Generally what you have always been used to (lifestyle) possibly OK if you want to see your family/girlfriend every weekend.
    Germany - Tax free booze/Fag/Petrol, LOA, LSA for courses in the UK, Tax free cars, legal brothels, opportunities to use the yanks PXs and quite a few more things.
    The majority of troops based in Germany may be moving back to the UK within the next decade so best make the most of it while you can.
  3. I could live with seeing my family a couple of times a yr (there a pain in the arse anyways) im single so dont need to worry about a girlfriend back home.

Fcuk it legal brothels an low tax germany wins
  4. Germany is good, if you make the most of it. I.E. get yourself a motor, travel about and do stuff with your time off. Go to the cities, go to the mountains, go to Denmark/Netherlands/wherever. Don't stay on camp, go to the same crappy local bars and squaddie clubs.

I got fed up of having to pay to get to the bloody airports, pay to fly home, get picked up from bloody airports, all to have a couple of days at home on a long weekend or week off, and then do the exact same to go back. And also having to fork out anything from €50-100 to pay for people to cover Easter/Christmas duties because I am back in the UK at it would be at my own expense to fly back to do the one day's duty! (or sacrifice going home altogether)

Yes, Germany was good, but after 2 and a half years there, enough was enough. Fed up of being away ruining relationships back home aswell. And I wouldn't ever get involved with a German girl.
  5. Join the Army and see the world, whilst you can.
  6. I like to go hillwalking, rockclimbing and do outdoor activitys. Have they got good mountains over there and does the army have clubs for people who are intrested in that kind off thing.

i like a drink aswell but im no the type of guy to sit in the pub getting drunk (every night)

why wouldn't you get involved with a german woman?
  7. Ever heard of Bavaria? Well thats where the British army do their AT over there (and you can go there at the weekends)

With the drinking thing you need to mix it with culture and jump on the train every weekend and discover different German towns that are do not have squaddies based nearby, so you get to see the sights and 9 times out of 10 there is an all you can drink for a set price type bar that you can bankrupt because they are unused to squaddies drinking habits.

Not all German women have heard of the delights of a razor.
  8. "Ever heard of Bavaria? " just checked it out online there looks like they have mountains than wee got in scotland.

cheers for the advice
  9. A few weeks into your basic training at Pirbright, you will be asked where you want to serve; location and/or unit. If you ask for Germany, there is a very good chance you will get Germany - probably Gutersloh.
  10. samm1551

samm1551 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Germany is a good posting imo, but you will NEED a car if you want to do those things.
  11. With hindsight, I would say that learning to speak German is far more important than having a car. Public transport was pretty good and you meet people using that more than you would in a car.
  12. As Forks and others have said, get yourself out & about. To live on the continent is something very few people actually get to do, so with that in mind, and the whole BFG thing gone in a decade or so, you'll only regret it if you don't.

Bravaria is the mutt's nuts. Volunteer for every AT you can get down there and trawl through, and bid for, all the AT course's you can.

I did a singly tour first and got the drinking/abusing/fighting out of my system and then did the second tour as a pad, which was more as Forks describes. In hindsight I wish I'd done the touring etc. on both tours.

Germany is a nice place full of opportunities, tax-free stuff aside, and the chance shouldn't be wasted.

Good luck
  13. Germany, like any european country, is what you make of it. I now live here as an ex squaddie and love it here. Public transport is usually very good and on time, so even if you don't have a car, there is no excuse not to travel.

As has already been mentioned, learn a bit of the lingo. This will reap rewards in how much you enjoy your time over here, I mean, a bit more than just ordering a Bier or Currywurst! The germans aren't as arrogent as they are made out to be. This is usually because of people doing direct/literal translation from german into english.

Get out here and try it! Once this posting is gone, it won't be returning.
  14. No you don't. Train travel in Germany is normally cheap and you can get pissed on the train.
  15. What they said above. 12 hour drive south from the Brit area, overnight stay in Austria and next day - stay in Austria, go to the Croatian Coast, drive to Italy, visit Budapest etc.

The dogs bollox.

And try and learn some German.

Oh and you don't need a motor. Stick a a frigid tart on a fast train, overnight in Vienna, take her to the Mozart Haus for a concert (not highbrow, quite nice) and then plonk her on the Danube ferry to Budapest. It will unfreeze an iceberg.