UK opposes future migrant rescues in Mediterranean

UK opposes future migrant rescues in Mediterranean

_78575474_78575471.jpg

The UK would not support future search and rescue operations to prevent migrants drowning in the Mediterranean Sea, the Foreign Office has said.

Foreign Office minister Baroness Anelay has said such operations can encourage more people to attempt to make the dangerous sea crossing to enter Europe.

An Italian mission is being wound down and an EU force will carry out a more limited border security operation .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29799473

At last, the EU, Italian Government and everything in between (including our own UK Government), has realised the “bleeding” obvious, that if you make it easy for the blighters, and welcome them with open arms, the blighters will keep arriving . . . :-x

This morning, John Humphries on BBC Radio 4, was getting his knickers-in-a-right-twist, over this.

On Channel 4 this this evening, MEP Daniel Hannan, tried to explain the “facts-of-life” to interviewer Snow, who was visibly wringing his hands in anguish.

Last edited:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Snow, who was visibly wringing his hands in anguish.

A human being getting upset that other human beings, desperately trying to either improve their lot or escape warfare, are drowning? What a liberal bed-wetter eh?

Let em drown then eh?
Real freedom.
They have the absolute freedom to decide for themselves whether to get on the boat.
This freedom includes the right to die if that is the way it turns out.
No one forces them, in fact we do everything possible to stop them doing it short of using force.
It is their own choice and they have to live, or not, with the consequences.

For once i agree with the government position.

Let em drown then eh?
The general consensus seems to be, that if they are daft enough to embark on such a perilous venture, they should be prepared to suffer the consequences.

How long it will take for such realisation to dawn, has not been suggested.

It is not known why they have never been towed back, returned, to the SOUTHERN Mediterranean coastline from which they sailed.

A human being getting upset that other human beings, desperately trying to either improve their lot or escape warfare, are drowning? What a liberal bed-wetter eh?
The general consensus seems to be, that if they are daft enough to embark on such a perilous venture, they should be prepared to suffer the consequences.

It is not known why they have never been towed back, returned, to the SOUTHERN Mediterranean coastline from which they sailed.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer

Steady, Farage. I didn't comment on the advisability of undertaking such. I commented on your lack of empathy.

How do you get a refugee in a biscuit tin - tell him it floats.

Ok, so it's C&A, in an effort to avoid a pelident:

Whilst I have no problem with UK forces actively monitoring refugee vessels should they require assistance, it's wrong to stand by letting a vessel sink drowning isn't a nice way to go.

We should shoot them instead, much more humane.

Or maybe they are trying to escape a situation so awful, the risk is worth it? Then it'd be daft to stay.

Or maybe they are trying to escape a situation so awful, the risk is worth it? Then it'd be daft to stay.

The UK would not support future search and rescue operations to prevent migrants drowning in the Mediterranean Sea, the Foreign Office has said.

Foreign Office minister Baroness Anelay has said such operations can encourage more people to attempt to make the dangerous sea crossing to enter Europe . . . .

The mind boggles at the sheer desperation of these " refugees " conned out of their money and then set loose in a variety of floating death traps.
Perhaps the answer lies in using physical violence of the military kind against the organised criminal gangs running these scams.

They are human beings simply trying to better their lot, of course we do not have room for them so bollixs , let's just turn a blind eye and pretend that thousands of innocent people are not dying in the attempt to reach our shores.

Perhaps a few days on one of those boats might convince Europes politicians to come up with a better solution, towing back to the point of origin would be a start.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Foreign Office minister Baroness Anelay has said such operations can encourage more people to attempt to make the dangerous sea crossing to enter Europe.

I have a funny feeling that Baroness Anelay & the FO is proposing a path than runs in direct contradiction of certain Laws, Conventions and Traditions of the Sea. In which regard it would be a punishable offence if a ship's Captain or Master refused to aid a vessel in distress when they are in a position to do so.

I'm awaiting confirmation or refutation of this from an old colleague who is a Master Mariner.

CQMS

LE
I have a funny feeling that Baroness Anelay & the FO is proposing a path than runs in direct contradiction of certain Laws, Conventions and Traditions of the Sea. In which regard it would be a punishable offence if a ship's Captain or Master refused to aid a vessel in distress when they are in a position to do so.

Not really, the Laws, Conventions and Traditions of the Sea remain unchanged, what they are doing is winding down a dedicated resource.

Remind me of the Italian SAR effort in the North Sea again.
The Italians don't own a gurt big rock in the North Sea, stacked to the brim with alcoholics.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
You do realise that all that separates us from these people is an accident of birth?
No, it's the bloody Med and English Channel!
Accident of birth my arse.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I'm awaiting confirmation or refutation of this from an old colleague who is a Master Mariner.

As I guessed, unless there is a direct danger to the crew or vessel a ship must offer all assistance to a vessel in found in distress, and it is indeed punishable if they fail to do so. Searching for the specific law now.

There is no obligation to search though unless you are directed by authorities or unless you come across the situation or pick up a distress call

Does that law say that you have to send your ship off to where distressed vessels have been seen before and spend weeks hanging around waiting for another one to get into trouble?

If a UK ship sees another vessel sinking then i am sure they will help, what we won't do is commit resources to actively try and find these boats just in case they need rescue.