UK officer slams US Iraq tactics

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by FNUSNU, Jan 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well done AF!!!!

2. Brig Aylwin-Foster’s far reaching operational experience (1 tour of Belfast) qualifies him extensively to pass comment on the US forces. As a professional desk jockey perhaps he should look at our failings before criticising others.

3. Such a popular theme!

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=29591.html

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=29520.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/10/AR2006011001456.html

4. Fair point I suppose. Saying that, my primary experience of the Iraq imbroglio comes from Sky News and even I can see that the US army is making a bit of a hash of things.

Message to US army senior officers: sticking your fingers in your ears and going "NAHNAHNAHNAHNAHNAHNAH" will not change your casualty figures nor stabilize the insurgency. I will now return to my remote control, armchair and cup of tea, feel free to flame on.

5. Look at his last post

I think he has ever so slightly more experience on the goings on in Iraq than you credit him with, and thus he has every right to criticise...

6. I'd say a crow squaddie on his first tour of anywhere has just as much right to criticise as any scambled egg wearer

7. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

Against
    (Benson) and
    (Fontenot).

Surely that's just evidencing A-F's comments? Don't the Spams have any concept?

8. Just looking at the front page of the article....

Seems Septics are happy to dribble on about "Candid Observations" but don't actually like reading them!

9. Brig Aylwin-Foster says the American army's laudable "can-do" approach paradoxically led to another trait, namely "damaging optimism".

That same "can do" is why we British still speak English and not German.However, I do commend him on his "victorious pessimism"approach.

Moreover, his central theme is that US military commanders have failed to train and educate their soldiers in the art of counter-insurgency operations and the need to cultivate the "hearts and minds" of the local population.

Just because you do not see it on tv, why are all those damn Iraqi kids flocking around American troops? Despite the press reports, they are getting regular reports from locals of where the insurgents are hiding.

While US officers in Iraq criticised their allies for being too reluctant to use force, their strategy was "to kill or capture all terrorists and insurgents: they saw military destruction of the enemy as a strategic goal in its own right". In short, the brigadier says, "the US army has developed over time a singular focus on conventional warfare, of a particularly swift and violent kind".

D'UH! What a novel concept! It makes one wonder what they learn at Staff College?

Such an unsophisticated approach, ingrained in American military doctrine, is counter-productive, exacerbating the task the US faced by alienating significant sections of the population, argues Brig Aylwin-Foster.

Yes, that sophisticated approach really worked wonders in Northern Ireland from 1969 -2006.

What he calls a sense of "moral righteousness" contributed to the US response to the killing of four American contractors in Fallujah in the spring of 2004. As a "come-on" tactic by insurgents, designed to provoke a disproportionate response, it succeeded, says the brigadier, as US commanders were "set on the total destruction of the enemy".

Two R.Sigs were murdered on video as the world watched and too our eternal shame we did nothing.

The Armed Forces of both the US and the UK are not there to negotiate. They're there because negotiation failed, and force was required.

10. That mate is quote simply rubbish. anyone who knows anything about history will tell you that.

And NI is currently at "peace" (I use the term losley, not ocunting organised crime and such), imagine how it would have turned out if we had an RTR trundling around in cheiftains blowing up house's.

Bet it wouldn't have been as quiet as it is now..

11. Are you speaking from experience? as I remember it the biggest impact on PIRA and INLA was when the blades and the RUC tore the arse out of them at Loughgall, Strabane, Gibraltar et al.

12. The only reason there is 'peace' as you call it is because hundreds of soldiers and police officers gave their lives, only to have the politicians stab us in the back and cow tow tho terrorists.

Remember that the next time you see Martin McGuinness sneering at the cameras on TV.

13. FACWIT wrote:
    Brig Aylwin-Foster’s far reaching operational experience (1 tour of Belfast) qualifies him extensively to pass comment on the US forces. As a professional desk jockey perhaps he should look at our failings before criticising others.

Look at his last post

Quote:
    The British officer - who was commander of a programme to train the Iraqi military - says he wrote the article with the intent to "be helpful to an institution I greatly respect".

I think he has ever so slightly more experience on the goings on in Iraq than you credit him with, and thus he has every right to criticise...

Point taken, I just forgot to put that PRIOR to going to Iraq 1 tour of Belfast (according to his own bio) was the only Op he had done. It is know that Senior US Military officals have certain reservations about the Brits, its just they have the decency not to publish stinging criticisms of thier closest allies.