UK must accept immigrants when Calais camp is razed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DesktopCommando, Sep 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1214161/French-Jungle-razed-week-immigrants-told-You-England-anymore-Calais.html?ITO=1490

The UK must accept some migrants from the illegal migrant camp known as the 'Jungle' when it is razed by France next week, the UN has said.

High Commissioner for Refugees Antonio Guterres said the British government should be prepared to allow migrants with large families already in the UK to enter the country.

France has vowed to send in its army and riot police to raze the migrant camp at Calais, known as The Jungle, by the end of next week.

[​IMG]

Immigration minister Eric Besson firmly told those using the camp: 'You will not get to England any more via Calais.'

However Mr Guterres told the BBC: 'There will be situations in which we would recommend the British authorities consider the possibility, within reason, of receiving, for instance, people who have large families in Britain and things of this sort.

'What I believe is important is that everybody that is in need of protection should be granted protection.'

The UK Border Agency told the BBC that details of the closure were 'matters for the French government'.

The camp has replaced official centres like Sangatte as a gathering point for migrants hoping to cross to Britain.

Riot police have already taken up positions around the 'Jungle' in preparation for the assault.

The camp's demolition is expected on Monday or Tuesday, at the end of the holy Islamic month of Ramadan.

'The majority of people living in the camp are Muslims and we would not want to offend them by launching our raid during Ramadan,' said an officer.

Mr Besson said the problem of where to put the displaced migrants would be solved by 'individual solutions'.

By this he said he meant forced repatriation, an asylum claim in France, or a voluntary return to their country of origin.

But he made it clear the tough action was necessary only because Britain was so soft on immigration.

'The paradoxical situation in which France finds itself is that we're trying to protect entry to the United Kingdom,' said Mr Besson, adding that some 2,000 foreigners living rough in the Calais area was the result.

He said Britain's generous welfare benefits encourage migrants from all over the world to use his country as a springboard to cross the Channel.

In an interview on TF1, France's main national TV channel, Mr Besson said 'enough is enough' and Calais would no longer be a base for migrants hoping to get into Britain. The action fulfils a pledge he made in April.

Mr Besson said crime was again on the increase in Calais around the notorious shanty town, where a London journalism student was raped last summer.

At present about 800 mainly Iraqi and Afghan immigrants live on the lawless patch of waste ground, waiting to board Dover-bound trains and lorries illegally.

The camp is made up of dozens of makeshift buildings, including kitchens and even a mosque. Lorry drivers are regularly beaten up by gangs of migrants when they try to stop them jumping on to their trailers.

Meanwhile, people smugglers infiltrate the camp offering passages to Britain for up to £1,000.

Such camps have sprung up regularly since the closure in 2002 of the Red Cross centre at Sangatte which acted as a magnet to thousands.

'This is an important stage,' Mr Besson said in the interview. 'We're going to destroy the main working tool of the illegal smuggling rings and more measures will follow.'

A French Immigration Ministry spokesman said orders had been issued to destroy the camp and interpreters and social workers would be present.

But refugee charities warned that the closure of such camps would make matters worse.

'It's ridiculous, where are all the evicted people expected to go,' said Jean-Pierre Boutoille, of the C-Sur charity. 'You can't just make people who want to get to Britain vanish.'

The order to destroy the 'Jungle' comes as port security figures show the number of migrants trying to get into Britain by stowing away on lorries has doubled in the past year.

About 6,031 illegal immigrants tried their luck in the first three months of this year compared with 2,919 caught between January and March last year.

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Edited.

Well, good on the French, and screw the U.N.

Trust the French to tell it how it is. It's not Britain's much-vaunted freedoms they want - it's because we are suckers.

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I thought that refugees had to be accepted by the first country in the EU that they enter, e.g. Italy or Spain for the N Africans, etc? How come they got that far?

The least the Frogs could do is stop these camps springing up - and the least we can do in return is find out what makes the UK such a magnet for the dispossessed of the world - and sort it out, so we are on an equal footing with the rest of Europe. I'd like to think people head here due to our tolerance, live-and-let-live attitude, and our fairness - but I fear it's our gullibility.

4. Nice one Kermits , shame we dont have a politico with balls like that. It is said they only come to the UK because of the genorous benefits , well the govt want to shake up the benefits system here , so here is an ideal oppotunity to kill two birds with one stone. Nothing will happen tho , we,ll just let em all in , house them , feed them & pay them. Not to do so would be instututionally racist or some other bollocks eh ? :roll:

LT

5. Just watch that camp fill up just before eviction day :roll:

LT

6. Don't worry, the Attorney-General will soon sort this out!

7. The only person who wants to keep illegal immigrants is the present mayor of London.

The only person who mentioned asylum in the article is the journalist who wrote it. Who printed the story???

Say no more.

8. They are not accepted as such,rather they have to have they're case for asylum ect heard it the country they were first picked up in.

You are spot on when you allude to our gullibility.While I cannot blame illegal immigrants for wanting to come to the UK (I would too with the ammount of money we throw around here),I find it incredible that anyone is granted asylum at all when you consider that a person must travel through sometimes dozens of safe countries to arrive at the UK.

Ref taking on more of them.....you have been given your orders from the overlords so hand over your taxes,embrace this new chance to enjoy diversity and shut the fuck up about it. :D

9. [​IMG]

I would love to drop a couple of JDAM's onto that camp.

10. Whet, we are used to you spouting shite most of the time, but your comment:

"The only person who wants to keep illegal immigrants is the present mayor of London"

meets new heights of crass stupidity.

11. For some reason this comment amused me :D

12. anyone want to share on petrol to go and watch?

13. I've edited the quote to suit...

14. So the huge tax payer funded multimillion pound industry,spear headed by the likes of Cheri Blair and her lobbyist ilk,have nothing to do with it I suppose. :roll:

15. No... too dispersed to be a good JDAM target, cluster bombs would be the best option.

Of course we could just nuke the place and get rid of some frogs as well. :twisted: