UK Muslim leaders fear backlash

From Sky News:

MUSLIMS FEAR REPRISALS

Muslim leaders will hold talks with police amid fears of reprisals against their community in the wake of the London terrorist attacks.

Islamic groups have already reported incidents of right-wing extremists attempting to stir up hatred against them.

Massoud Shadjareh, chairman of the Islamic Human Rights Commission, appealed for calm.

"The Islamic Human Rights Commission utterly condemns this attack," he said.

He added: "We appeal that there should be no further victims as a result of reprisals."

A leading Muslim cleric will travel to Leicester today to deliver a message of condemnation to the community.

The Imam will say it is not acceptable to hold extremist beliefs such as those which led to the attacks and still live as a Muslim.

He will also call for Muslims to contact police with any information about individuals they suspect of extremism.

A spokesman for the Muslim community said: "This will be the most direct and extreme message given to the Muslims in this country."

A group calling themselves the Secret Organisation Group of al Qaeda of Jihad Organisation in Europe have said they were behind the bombings.
The link goes here.

I don't believe that there will be a 'backlash' of any kind. One of the problems we have as a free democratic nation (please, no sniggering at the back) is that we allow peoples of every political persuasion to speak their minds, even Gorgeous George.

Quite frankly, the popular press can burble on about 'hidden sleepers' all they like - the cowards who perpetrated yesterday's act used the British Muslim community as their sea - and it is that same community who must take partial ownership of this problem and act. It's good to see the Imam is taking steps in that direction.

I'm with you Darth. I've read the article earlier today. It's amazing that people of all different religions and from all countries are condemning the attacks.

There won't be a backlash in, I don't think but there would be a handful of people attacking the muslim community. Also, I reckon there would be security checks and things of the nature which is all understandable. I hope all of London's religions and communities can work hand in hand against the terrorists as I'm sure they would.

Darth i have to remind you that we actually don't have the right of free speech.
I think i am right in saying that Griffin from the bnp is currently being tried at court for speaking out against islam. I think he refered to it as a wicked faith.
So we have the right of free speech so long as we toe the line........

If there is a backlash against the general Islamic community it would be a shame. There must have been people whom were Muslim using trains and were injured in the blasts. This was not someone sniping from a rooftop, picking "Christian only" targets. This was an indicriminate attack that cared not for people but just wished to get a message across "Hello we bombed you, fear us."

Extremist groups of any type are weak, cowardly and are unable to maintain civilised discourse with others. They blindly hit out at easy targets because they are so incapable (and on the whole so emasculated) they cannot do anything else.

Lenny,

Thank you for taking the time to 'remind' me how my country works. :D

Some points if I may. On December 14, 2004, Nick Griffin was arrested on suspicion of incitement to racial hatred, relating to a BBC documentary aired in July 2004. He was released on police bail the same day.

Nick Griffin was the 12th person to be arrested following the documentary and the second high profile arrestee in this case after BNP founder John Tyndall, who was arrested on 12th December.

On April 6, 2005, he was charged by police with four offences of using words or behaviour intended or likely to stir up racial hatred.

I suggest that there is a difference between 'speaking your mind' and 'committing an offence in law'. Please understand this seemingly minor but crucial difference.

cpunk

LE
Darth_Doctrinus said:
Quite frankly, the popular press can burble on about 'hidden sleepers' all they like - the cowards who perpetrated yesterday's act used the British Muslim community as their sea - and it is that same community who must take partial ownership of this problem and act. It's good to see the Imam is taking steps in that direction.
'Hidden sleepers' my arse. My very strong suspicion is that the people who carried this out are the kind of low-achieving, failed cretinous youth that we can all see on the streets every day. The white variety become Chavs, the Afro-Caribbeans 'bling-bling' gangstas whilst the Bangladeshi/Pakistani Muslim variety often submerge themselves into a version of 'Islam for Morons', which gives them the chance to 'big' themselves up like nobody's business: 'Me and my mate Wazir, we're like Mujahideen, innit'.

Fact of the matter was that, notwithstanding the appalling consequences for the people killed and injured, and their families of course, these bombs were a fleabite: any competent terrorist setting off bombs in packed commuter trains confined by tunnels would have been disappointed by ten times the fatalities inflicted here.

Will there be a backlash against Muslims? Outside BNP circles, I doubt it; but the fact of the matter is that Britain's Muslim leaders need to take a long, hard look at what goes on in and around their Mosques, and recognise that they have a problem which they have to address.

Darth sweety, did you get out of bed the wrong side?????????

What griffin said was as follows " One last thing, a personal message from me: I was heavily criticised last year by the BBC, Labour politicians and Guardianistas for calling Islam a "wicked, vicious faith", and later this year I face a trial for saying that and for exposing instances of racist attacks on innocent young whites by gangs of young thugs from the Islamic community. I did not, and I do not, say that Muslims are wicked and vicious, but I maintain that a faith that provides the justification and the 'moral' climate for some of its most ardent followers to plant bombs on crowded tube trains and buses in London, or to beat and stab lone 'kufirs' on the streets of dozens of British towns and cities, is indeed wicked and vicious. The Islamification of Britain can and must be stopped by political and then legal changes. And the same methods must be used to reverse it."

Britain and the West will be free and Western, or they will be an endless bloodbath. Today's horrific events have shown that, in the end, whatever propaganda the BBC produces over the days ahead, that is the only choice we have to make.

I found this on their web site. I firmly believe we either have freedom of speech or we don't. You cant pick and choose..

Love you, keep the hair on good buddy.....

Posted this yesterday but seems better placed on this thread

A work colleague has just received this in a email, from the number of people on the email list - it seems to have already reached a fair number of muslims (and non muslims) in the UK.

Islam on terrorism - a timely reminder in respect to what has occured from the evils in London today!

"...The terrorist attacks that took place and what occurred of general (mass) killing; this is not permissible and Islam does not allow it in any form whatsoever. Islam frees itself from this action…"
- Shaykh Saalih as-Suhaymee, Saudi Arabia

Shaykh Saalih as-Suhaymee is one of the more senior scholars of the city of Medina, Saudi Arabia. Shortly after the events of September 11, he was asked by a group of youth in Toronto, Canada, to advise the Muslims as to what their position should be regarding the terrorist attacks. After a short preliminary speech, the lecturer at the Islamic University of Medina recited the following verse from the Quran:

"Thus We have made you a just and most balanced nation, that you may be witnesses over mankind (on the Day of Judgement), and the Messenger be a witness over you."

"Hence, Islam is a balanced and moderate way, and it does not enter into negligence on the one hand, nor exaggeration or extremism on the other. It is balanced in between (these two extremes)… In addition, Islam encourages equity and justice amidst both Muslims and non-Muslims.

"Verily, Allah enjoins justice, the doing of good, and giving to kith and kin; He forbids all shameful and prohibited deeds, and oppression. He admonishes you, that you may take heed."

Continuing in his address, Shaykh Saalih as-Suhaymee spoke about the Prophet Muhammad (may Allah raise his rank and grant him peace), saying: "And he also forbade those fighting in jihad from killing women, children, the elderly and the ascetics who are devoted to worship, as well as forbidding the cutting down of trees and so on - despite the fact that the associates of these categories of people may be involved in fighting with the Muslims.

Based upon what has preceded, then we say; that which we believe and hold as our religion concerning what happened to the World Trade Centre in America - and in Allah lies success - is that the terrorist attacks that took place and what occurred of general (mass) killing; this is not permissible and Islam does not allow it in any form whatsoever. Islam frees itself from this action…

So Islam does not allow them (these deeds), nor do Muslims perform them, and the true followers of Islam - which is balanced and moderate - they free themselves from these actions and from those who performed them…
In this centre, there were nothing but innocent non-Muslims and Muslims from all the various parts of the world, of different races. They had material possessions and assets in these buildings, and so all of this is impermissible; this is oppression upon both Muslims and non-Muslims. Even if people (who were responsible) claim that they had valid reasons for perpetrating this; this is not the correct way.

It is obligatory upon the Muslims in this country and elsewhere, and upon the students of knowledge, to explain that this action is free from Islam, and that Islam is free from these actions. I request them to make clear this issue, with certainty - and to be truthful when they explain this issue - without compromising the religion of Islam, and without giving a bad impression of Islam.

And we say, to whomever has justice and fairness amongst the non-Muslims, that they should reflect upon this matter, and not take it out on innocent Muslims and Arabs, for there are millions of them in the United States. They should also not accept everything from the media without question. It is desirable for the American people to understand that Islam does not support these affairs, and that they should not use the media in order to ascribe these actions to Islam. And the Muslims in those areas should participate in explaining that these affairs are not from Islam…

May Allah guide us to what He is loved and pleased with, and may He raise the rank of the Prophet, and that of his family and companions, and grant them peace."

Every time a bunch of muslims commit mass murder the BCM, an unelected self appointed group who do not speak for all muslims , shove out a press release saying, all muslims are nice people and then the next day they call for protection from all us nasty non muslims.

As usual these BCM release are bought to ARRSE by the resident mouthpiece for the BCM, PTP.

PTP deleted any view expressed yesterday that dared to criticize muslims, but nothing new there.

POST EDITED TO REMOVE STUPID REMARK AND MY APOLOGY TO PTP IS ON PAGE 3

polar said:
Posted this yesterday but seems better placed on this thread

A work colleague has just received this in a email, from the number of people on the email list - it seems to have already reached a fair number of muslims (and non muslims) in the UK.

Islam on terrorism - a timely reminder in respect to what has occured from the evils in London today!

that they should reflect upon this matter, and not take it out on innocent Muslims and Arabs, for there are millions of them in the United States. They should also not accept everything from the media without question. It is desirable for the American people to understand that Islam does not support these affairs, and that they should not use the media in order to ascribe these actions to Islam. And the Muslims in those areas should participate in explaining that these affairs are not from Islam…
If you had bothered to read the above crap you'd have noticed that it refers to 9/11 and NOT yesterdays murderous attack by muslims.

armourer said:
Every time a bunch of muslims commit mass murder the BCM, an unelected self appointed group who do not speak for all muslims , shove out a press release saying, all muslims are nice people and then the next day they call for protection from all us nasty non muslims.
I see exactly where you're coming from there, armourer and I agree.

armourer said:
As usual these BCM release are bouth to ARRSE by the resident apologist for muslim terror, PTP.
But I think what people are trying to say is that while there are some terrorist muslims, not all muslims are terrorists. If this attack had been planned and carried out by another minority (or shall I say majority?) there would be a similar retaliation in terms of worry about members of said group. Muslims, however, have been the focus of world terror theatre, so things are understandabley trickier.

armourer said:
If you had bothered to read the above crap you'd have noticed that it refers to 9/11 and NOT yesterdays murderous attack by muslims.
I must bow to your obvious greater knowledge of muslims than I. I'll pass that info onto all the muslims at work, that should bring that out of their anguish and deep hurt they are currently feeling.

Armourer, grow up. Your polemic is boring.

The only way to defeat terrorism is to address the underlying causes whilst maintaining pressure on those who would commit acts of terror. A vital part of this is to help prevent the radicalisation of those who would go on to perpetrate terrorism. For this the Islamic community must be engaged, and not alienated.

Your views are exactly what the terrorists want to hear, that is that the 'West continues to oppress Islam', bringing us towards a mythical 'Clash of Civilisations', hence they validate their propaganda and their legitimacy grows. The cycle continues. They have a long-term view of what they are trying to achieve, we must have a long-term strategy with which to deal with them.

The US approach of counting body bags and arrests will not work. We tried the hard approach in NI and it did not work. We must seek to undermine thier support from within their own community, and that means engaging them positively, not spouting the normal sh!te you come out with.

And I am no apolgist.

Get a brain or leave.

dogmonkey said:
Armourer, grow up. Your polemic is boring.

For this the Islamic community must be engaged, and not alienated.
So I can't have my view but you can ?

The islamic community are the ones who don't want to engage with the rest of the UK, they chose to islotate themselves.

armourer said:
OK ******** show me in that crap email you were posting where it refers to yesterdays murders ? all you have done is recycle crap from 9/11
why do I bother .... wouldn't it be easier to swtich off your PC, take a gun out into the streets and start shooting coloureds.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
deleted for not reading the thread to the end.

B

Biscuits_AB

I doubt there will be a 'backlash' as you call it. There will be inevitable fears amongst the Muslim communities and the inevitable 'racially intolerant' comments and a few actions by the right wing lunatics, but all in all, I beileve that the average man in the street already understands that those who perpetrated this incident do not speak on behalf of the Muslim community, a bit like PIRA didn't speak for all Irish Catholics.

The Journos however, will as always take things to the extreme in their clammer to be seen as the voice of the people.

And some of the drongoes amongst you will believe them.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
armourer said:
As usual these BCM release are bouth to ARRSE by the resident apologist for muslim terror, PTP.
PTP can stand up for himself, but I cannot recall him ever giving an apologia for terrorism be it committed by muslims or anyone else.

I can however, recall him giving short shrift to neo-fascists like the British National Party and their apologists.