UK Muslim leaders fear backlash

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Proximo, Jul 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From Sky News:

The link goes here.

I don't believe that there will be a 'backlash' of any kind. One of the problems we have as a free democratic nation (please, no sniggering at the back) is that we allow peoples of every political persuasion to speak their minds, even Gorgeous George.

Quite frankly, the popular press can burble on about 'hidden sleepers' all they like - the cowards who perpetrated yesterday's act used the British Muslim community as their sea - and it is that same community who must take partial ownership of this problem and act. It's good to see the Imam is taking steps in that direction.

2. I'm with you Darth. I've read the article earlier today. It's amazing that people of all different religions and from all countries are condemning the attacks.

There won't be a backlash in, I don't think but there would be a handful of people attacking the muslim community. Also, I reckon there would be security checks and things of the nature which is all understandable. I hope all of London's religions and communities can work hand in hand against the terrorists as I'm sure they would.

3. Darth i have to remind you that we actually don't have the right of free speech.
    I think i am right in saying that Griffin from the bnp is currently being tried at court for speaking out against islam. I think he refered to it as a wicked faith.
    So we have the right of free speech so long as we toe the line........

4. If there is a backlash against the general Islamic community it would be a shame. There must have been people whom were Muslim using trains and were injured in the blasts. This was not someone sniping from a rooftop, picking "Christian only" targets. This was an indicriminate attack that cared not for people but just wished to get a message across "Hello we bombed you, fear us."

Extremist groups of any type are weak, cowardly and are unable to maintain civilised discourse with others. They blindly hit out at easy targets because they are so incapable (and on the whole so emasculated) they cannot do anything else.

5. Lenny,

Thank you for taking the time to 'remind' me how my country works. :D

Some points if I may. On December 14, 2004, Nick Griffin was arrested on suspicion of incitement to racial hatred, relating to a BBC documentary aired in July 2004. He was released on police bail the same day.

Nick Griffin was the 12th person to be arrested following the documentary and the second high profile arrestee in this case after BNP founder John Tyndall, who was arrested on 12th December.

On April 6, 2005, he was charged by police with four offences of using words or behaviour intended or likely to stir up racial hatred.

I suggest that there is a difference between 'speaking your mind' and 'committing an offence in law'. Please understand this seemingly minor but crucial difference.

6. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

'Hidden sleepers' my arse. My very strong suspicion is that the people who carried this out are the kind of low-achieving, failed cretinous youth that we can all see on the streets every day. The white variety become Chavs, the Afro-Caribbeans 'bling-bling' gangstas whilst the Bangladeshi/Pakistani Muslim variety often submerge themselves into a version of 'Islam for Morons', which gives them the chance to 'big' themselves up like nobody's business: 'Me and my mate Wazir, we're like Mujahideen, innit'.

Fact of the matter was that, notwithstanding the appalling consequences for the people killed and injured, and their families of course, these bombs were a fleabite: any competent terrorist setting off bombs in packed commuter trains confined by tunnels would have been disappointed by ten times the fatalities inflicted here.

Will there be a backlash against Muslims? Outside BNP circles, I doubt it; but the fact of the matter is that Britain's Muslim leaders need to take a long, hard look at what goes on in and around their Mosques, and recognise that they have a problem which they have to address.

7. Darth sweety, did you get out of bed the wrong side?????????

What griffin said was as follows " One last thing, a personal message from me: I was heavily criticised last year by the BBC, Labour politicians and Guardianistas for calling Islam a "wicked, vicious faith", and later this year I face a trial for saying that and for exposing instances of racist attacks on innocent young whites by gangs of young thugs from the Islamic community. I did not, and I do not, say that Muslims are wicked and vicious, but I maintain that a faith that provides the justification and the 'moral' climate for some of its most ardent followers to plant bombs on crowded tube trains and buses in London, or to beat and stab lone 'kufirs' on the streets of dozens of British towns and cities, is indeed wicked and vicious. The Islamification of Britain can and must be stopped by political and then legal changes. And the same methods must be used to reverse it."

Britain and the West will be free and Western, or they will be an endless bloodbath. Today's horrific events have shown that, in the end, whatever propaganda the BBC produces over the days ahead, that is the only choice we have to make.

I found this on their web site. I firmly believe we either have freedom of speech or we don't. You cant pick and choose..

Love you, keep the hair on good buddy.....

8. I'm not dragging this off-thread. You have your views, and I have have mine. By all means speak your mind.

9. Posted this yesterday but seems better placed on this thread

A work colleague has just received this in a email, from the number of people on the email list - it seems to have already reached a fair number of muslims (and non muslims) in the UK.

10. Every time a bunch of muslims commit mass murder the BCM, an unelected self appointed group who do not speak for all muslims , shove out a press release saying, all muslims are nice people and then the next day they call for protection from all us nasty non muslims.

As usual these BCM release are bought to ARRSE by the resident mouthpiece for the BCM, PTP.

PTP deleted any view expressed yesterday that dared to criticize muslims, but nothing new there.

POST EDITED TO REMOVE STUPID REMARK AND MY APOLOGY TO PTP IS ON PAGE 3

11. If you had bothered to read the above crap you'd have noticed that it refers to 9/11 and NOT yesterdays murderous attack by muslims.

12. I see exactly where you're coming from there, armourer and I agree.

But I think what people are trying to say is that while there are some terrorist muslims, not all muslims are terrorists. If this attack had been planned and carried out by another minority (or shall I say majority?) there would be a similar retaliation in terms of worry about members of said group. Muslims, however, have been the focus of world terror theatre, so things are understandabley trickier.

13. I must bow to your obvious greater knowledge of muslims than I. I'll pass that info onto all the muslims at work, that should bring that out of their anguish and deep hurt they are currently feeling.

14. Armourer, grow up. Your polemic is boring.

The only way to defeat terrorism is to address the underlying causes whilst maintaining pressure on those who would commit acts of terror. A vital part of this is to help prevent the radicalisation of those who would go on to perpetrate terrorism. For this the Islamic community must be engaged, and not alienated.

Your views are exactly what the terrorists want to hear, that is that the 'West continues to oppress Islam', bringing us towards a mythical 'Clash of Civilisations', hence they validate their propaganda and their legitimacy grows. The cycle continues. They have a long-term view of what they are trying to achieve, we must have a long-term strategy with which to deal with them.

The US approach of counting body bags and arrests will not work. We tried the hard approach in NI and it did not work. We must seek to undermine thier support from within their own community, and that means engaging them positively, not spouting the normal sh!te you come out with.

And I am no apolgist.

Get a brain or leave.

15. So I can't have my view but you can ?

The islamic community are the ones who don't want to engage with the rest of the UK, they chose to islotate themselves.