UK minister to condemn Guantanamo

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Sep 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5340104.stm

Yeah , whatever.

2. oh, like not being elected, but being in the executive? (cabinet)

mind you, I do see his point, we seem to make do with Paddington Nick

3. Falconer wants to worry more about those running around our streets dtonating bombs than the ones who are safely tucked away where they can kill no more innocents.

Cnut!

4. Dear Concerned Citizen,

Thank you for your recent letter roundly criticizing
    our treatment of the Taliban and Al Quaeda detainees
    currently being held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Our administration takes these matters seriously and
    your opinion was heard loud and clear here in
    Washington.
    You'll be pleased to learn that, thanks to the
    concerns of citizens like yourself, we are creating a
    new division of the Terrorist Retraining Program,to be
    called the "Liberals Accept Responsibility for
    Killers" program, or LARK for short.

In accordance with the guidelines of this new program,
    we have decided to place one terrorist under your
    personal care. Your personal detainee has been
    selected and scheduled for transportation under
    heavily armed guard to your residence next Monday.

Ali Mohammed Ahmed bin Mahmud (you can just call him
    Ahmed) is to be cared for pursuant to the standards
    you personally demanded in your letter of complaint.
    It will likely be necessary for you to hire some
    assistant caretakers.

We will conduct weekly inspections to ensure that your
    standards of care for Ahmed are Commensurate with
    those you so strongly recommended in your letter.

Although Ahmed is a sociopath and extremely violent,
    we hope that your sensitivity to what you described as
    his "attitudinal problem" will help him overcome these
    character flaws. Perhaps you are correct in
    describing these problems as mere cultural
    differences. We understand that you plan to offer
    counseling and home schooling.

Your adopted terrorist is extremely proficient in
    hand-to-hand combat and can extinguish human life with
    such simple items as a pencil or nail clippers. We
    advise that you do not ask him to demonstrate these
    skills at your next yoga group. He is also expert at
    making a wide variety of explosive devices from common
    household products, so you may wish to keep those
    items locked up, unless (in your opinion) this might
    offend him.

Ahmed will not wish to interact with you or your
    daughters (except sexually), since he views females as
    a subhuman form of property. This is a particularly
    sensitive subject for him and he has been known to
    show violent tendencies around women who fail to
    comply with the new dress code that he will recommend
    as more appropriate attire.

I'm sure you will come to enjoy the anonymity offered
    by the burka -- over time.

Just remember that it is all part of "respecting his
    culture and his religious beliefs" -- wasn't that how
    you put it?

Thanks again for your letter. We truly appreciate it
    when folks like you keep us informed of the proper way
    to do our job. You take good care of Ahmed - and
    remember..we'll be watching.

Good luck!

Cordially, your friend,
    Don Rumsfeld

5. How very brave of a minister of HMG to criticize Gitmo almost five years after it opened and just after inmates are granted Geneva convetion rights by the US government!

The UK estavblishment generally should take note that, whilst no-one likes a bully, they at least fear or even respect him. Nobody has anything other than the utmost contempt for the bully's pathetic hangers-on. On the world stage, we comport ourselves like Jabba's little mate, nothing more.

6. Yep, absolutely correct. *sigh* just relaxing here in St. Louis after stoning the fcuk out of a female coworker--her burka showed a bit of ankle, we had to kill her. Gotta love being a bully.

I've got a long weekend coming up, think I'll pop over to Mom's and honor-kill her for divorcing Dad.

7. Cynical look on........
    Oh really............What timing!
    Not any coincidences at all,shurely (apologies to Private Eye)
    A good day to bury ........................Falconer!
    Cynical look off..........

8. Cynical look on........
    Oh really............What timing!
    Not any coincidences at all,shurely (apologies to Private Eye)
    A good day to bury ........................Falconer!
    Cynical look off..........

9. God, I just love hyperbole, and apparently so do you, seeing as you are almost constantly using it.

10. Yes I quite enjoy it, I see so much of it here in ARRSE where my country gets accused of being a "bully" for penning up a bunch of savages who in fact do get their jollies by stoning women, extracting their fingernails for wearing polish, blowing up ancient world heritage sites, and in general behaving like the monstrous fcuks that they are. Give me a fcuking break, already. They're lucky they weren't hung on the spot for being illegal combatants and general wastes of human semen.

11. Well, ignoring for the moment, the fact that its prooven there are quite a few people in gitmo who arnt terrorists.

The way the US is acting is a dictonary definition of a Bully. Its doing whatever it wants, imposing its will on (weaker) others quite often by force (of one sort or another), and ignoring the international community at large. If its doing it for the right or wrong reasons doesnt change the fact its still acting like a bully.

Now, one of the things I always find so interesting is often people will cite and condemn barbaric acts that the Arabians partake of, and then in the same breath attempt justify western acts of barbarism (and trust me, at times I can be one of those people, but then I actually stop and consider the issue rationally). Its a two way street old chap, you cant preach from the moral high ground if your doing the same stuff. The whole point of this is to 'save' civilisation, well in that case shouldnt we be estoling our morals and values and not eroding them by commiting horrific acts of our own.

Gitmo is not only against international law, but also US law. And as so many great men have paraphrased themselves before, if you have to break the laws in order to protect them, then your doing something wrong.

12. You save civilization by killing barbarians, and exacting a terrible price for barbaric acts. You think the Romans spread Hellenistic civilization throughout Europe and the Mediterranean by letting miscreants walk???

13. The main difference being that the Romans didnt appareciate the farce that they were 'spreading' civilisation by commiting barbaric acts. And in any case we are all well aware that as civilised as Rome was they were still lacking in certain areas, much the same that we today are. But the difference is we are aware of that and do strive to rectify it where possible, this is perhaps a sign of civilisation.

And if were really going to get into the Romans, actually they were quite smart about spreading civilisation and where ever possible avoided using scortched earth tactics because it costed far more. They would induct the local nobility into Rome and attempt to take local customs and habits and adapt them to roman ones. It is very much part of there success, they avoided forcing the issue whereever possible. In spreading there civilisation, whereever possible they did attempt to adhere to its core values, however when push came to shove they were more than prepared to dismiss them in the 'short term' to 'protect' them in the 'long term'. This eventually became a problem for them, as slowly Rome started to look more and more like the very thing they were attempting to eradicate, in trying to do so and in comprimising there own values, they had ended up becoming what they hated most.

Personally, I find some concepts and practices of our 'modern' civilisation questionable and in some cases repugnant. However I am also aware that civilisation is unable to sustain itself as soon as it begins to ignore or dismiss its own important concepts in the name of protecting/preserving them. It is the historical sign of the death of a civilisation. Rome only fell to the barbarians once it began to ignore its own core values, and rotted from the inside out.

If we are truly superior, then we should not need to sacrifice the very propertys that make us superior in order to defeat them. By lowering ourselves to their level, we only erode ourselves.

14. Time to play, "Name That Quote"!

Name the commander who issued these orders. Did the civilization which carried out these orders lose track of its guiding principles? Become barbaric itself by carrying out acts of ruthless efficacy? Discuss. :)

15. No idea. Taking a guess, I'd say possible the British Army in the Boer War dealing with the South African Boer 'issue'. Which regrettably turned very very nasty. And yes, Britain in that conflict lost sight of its guiding principles. Because you know its funny, and many Americans fail to realize this but it was Britain long before the US of A, that was estoling the virtues of liberty and the such, we were afteral the ones to abolish slavery and to ensure others did so, among many other noble tasks.

But there were horrible atrocities committed in the name of the Empire, the Boer concentration camps to name one. And it was a detriment to the Empire and the world as a whole. And I think you will find that at the time there was some very vocal opposition to it happening, who saw the wrong and injustice, this is a sign of civilization not only to have morals, values, principles, and not only that it attempts to protect them, but also when its citizens understand that sometimes protecting and spreading these virtues isn't worth the cost of sacrificing them.

You seem to be assuming I think the US is the only nation in the world to ever betray its principles and you would be mistaken (as it happens I think you have a victim complex about the US from your posting habits). But as they say, those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Civilization will always falter nothing is perfect, but if it always falters at the same issues then it is something that must be addressed, failure to do so is unacceptable. And no one should ever be critiqued for attempting so.

The idea that we should protect our 'glorious, and righteous civilization' by betraying its very principles is a laudable logical fallacy. If truly we are superior, then it is by using these values that we will be able to defeat these 'barbarians', not by dismissing the very things that make us what we are, and not by sinking to the barbarians level.

Revenge as they say is the uncivilised mans substitute for Justice.