UK Minimi in 7.62mm ?

Z

Zarathustra

I've heard nothing (but that doesn't mean much). Why have a 7.62 minimi when we have the GPMG, seems a bit pointless to me

Especially seeing as the major benefit of MINIMI at section level is its use of 5.56 and its ability to accept an A2 mag.

I can't see the GPMG going anywhere just yet.

Come come Bipolar77, don't start raising every bodies hopes like that!

would make sense, has the range ans stopping power, plus supply chain only 7.62 ammo needed so can cross load between gpmgs, slr, etc

BIPOLAR77 said:
unless they re-issue slr's
they will have to take them back off the 12-year-old Sierra Leonean soldiers that they sold them to 1st

Now you're talking far too much sence.

One has to ask (and I'm sure many will answer) if the system wasn't broken why did they fix it?

stoatman said:
BIPOLAR77 said:
they will have to take them back off the 12-year-old Sierra Leonean soldiers that they sold them to 1st
only the ones they bought.

what about the mob stocks, TA, Regular units that are no more?

stoatman said:
BIPOLAR77 said:
Including the one that 1 PARA told the Bloody Sunday Enquiry was destroyed or lost? :wink:

You've probably broken an arrse record and turned an unrelated thread into a thread about SLR's within 4 posts.

BIPOLAR77 said:
stoatman said:
BIPOLAR77 said:
only the ones they bought.

what about the mob stocks, TA, Regular units that are no more?
pretty much all sold onto the European civilian market via a dealer in Belgium.

They're going for around 550 euros over here if you want them back!

If we HAVE to have a 7.62 rifle in the Sections to make this possible then make it the HK417.

2x 7.62 LMGs
2x UGLs
6 x HK417s

And every rifleman with a chainsaw bayonet that fires lasers. If only I was in procurement.

Whiskey_60 said:
If we HAVE to have a 7.62 rifle in the Sections to make this possible then make it the HK417.

2x 7.62 LMGs
2x UGLs
6 x HK417s

And every rifleman with a chainsaw bayonet that fires lasers. If only I was in procurement.
:D Now we're talking some sense.

Closet_Jibber said:
Whiskey_60 said:

2x 7.62 LMGs
2x UGLs
6 x HK417s

[/b]And every rifleman with a chainsaw bayonet that fires lasers. If only I was in procurement.

Sound's awfully sexy... but really stupid 8O sounds like someone has been playing too much Doom.

Here's your next charge of the Light Brigade...

The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th Rifle's battalions are sandwiched in between a big wall and the Taliban and low on ammo, the decision is given by the OC to FIX CHAINSAW BAYONETs!!!

The lads pull their chainsaws out of the backpacks and fit them on and start yanking to get them started, some have to fill up the tank with petrol, BANZAIIII!!!!!! over the wall the lads go :D

wildcard.rgbw said:
Here's your next charge of the Light Brigade...

The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th Rifle's battalions are sandwiched in between a big wall and the Taliban and low on ammo, the decision is given by the OC to FIX CHAINSAW BAYONETs!!!
Surly that would be 'fix chainsaw swords'?

'Its not a bayonet, its a sword' was a common cry at Winchester by the fast marching types.

I will admit that I have not fired the 7.62 Minimi, and I am aware that it was intially developed for this round, however I do think that using a round of this size in a weapon as small as this is asking for trouble..

OK - it has a hydraulic buffer to take the edge of the recoil, but I would think the thermal characteristics would be fairly horrific. I would bet that bits would be glowing before not many rounds.

You would have to be VERY careful about the rate of fire, so ok for SF, but I don't think it would work as a general issue squad MG..

GPMGs are big and heavy for a reason...

What, you mean THIS http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg38-e.htm - designed for US Special Forces.

It's possible, but whats the point? The SF types need heavier firepower in a portable package. Regulars don't, because they have a lot more options for fire support, and don't NEED to scale down (with all the associated problems it entails)

Yes a scaled up Minimi is a gucci piece of kit, but a full sized M240 or GPMG is still going to be more effective for sustained fire roles.

Non starter IMHO