Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK military to get biggest spending boost in 30 years

chimera

LE

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Yippee, you beat me to it....

With what money? Aren't we broke from Corona?

As part of the speech, Mr Johnson will announce:

A new agency dedicated to artificial intelligence
The creation of a national cyber force to protect people from online harm
A new "space command", which will be capable of launching a first rocket in 2022

Are crab air trying to edge in on the Space Command to try and get more kudos?

I’m worried about the “drones, space and cyber” angle which seem to be a potential moneypit when core capabilities like anti-ship missiles, anti-radiation missiles are non-existent. Or when MBTs, tube and rocket artillery are obsolescent.
There needs to be a back-to-basics reset on core, heavy kit. Especially in the army.

OK - now let's read the small print:

Indeed - this is Boris Johnson, after all: a man with a pleasing promise tailor-made on the spot for every audience, all of them Teflon coated, to prevent him getting stuck with them*.

====
*Stonkernote: Carrie, luv - take notice won't you :thumleft:

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Good. I like job security.

They're already doing fairly well - Director, Space is an AVM ex-Harrier (and latterly Tornado GR4) mate, and Head of Space Capability is an Air Commodore (ex-F3, F-14 [exchange tour] and Reaper).

A new agency dedicated to artificial intelligence?
That's the Labour Party isn't it? Or is that synthetic?

Simulated intelligence.

Although I suspect John Searle et al would contend that the word 'intelligence' might be pushing it...

Smoke and mirrors IMO. Will CR2 upgrade be funded or will it all go to Dom's wacky mates?

HCL

Old-Salt
Newsnight ssid it's only worth £2bn p.a. over the 4 year cycle as the existing£2bn p. a. deficit is included, and it will still mean cuts.

Tory party: the party of defence, not since Maggie went it isn't.

It could be a way of putting money into public spending with the added bonus of the possibility of flogging some of the kit abroad. Apparently the Foreign Aid budget is being reduced from 0.07% of GDP to ,05% which is a couple of billion which is being diverted to the Defence budget. Mercedes are not happy as it will reduce their sales to African leaders.

Uk aid budget facing billions in cuts

With what money? Aren't we broke from Corona?

As part of the speech, Mr Johnson will announce:

A new agency dedicated to artificial intelligence
The creation of a national cyber force to protect people from online harm
A new "space command", which will be capable of launching a first rocket in 2022

The Magic Money Tree, don't you know anything?
Tut!!

These days she's actually starting to look like the best PM we've had in the last 20 years....anyone got any ruby slippers I can borrow?

I’m worried about the “drones, space and cyber” angle which seem to be a potential moneypit when core capabilities like anti-ship missiles, anti-radiation missiles are non-existent. Or when MBTs, tube and rocket artillery are obsolescent.
There needs to be a back-to-basics reset on core, heavy kit. Especially in the army.

No chance.

Most of the money will likely go on filling the already large black hole in our defence budget. The leftover money will go to keep our nuclear pretensions up to date and as you say, the digital will allow senior officers to play commander from far away and so long as our opponents are lightly armed insurgents then all is well.

I watched a minister this morning on the Beeb and he actually said something like: "we will lose some systems, but we needed money to be able to do that", obviously, the Beeb failed to ask a supplementary question, but replacing even more of the heavy kit with the digital, is a clear direction of travel and the money is certainly not going to increase the head count.

Latest Threads