• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

UK military interrogation manuals discovered

From the Guardian

The British military has been training interrogators in techniques that include threats, sensory deprivation and enforced nakedness in an apparent breach of the Geneva conventions, the Guardian has discovered.

Training materials drawn up secretly in recent years tell interrogators they should aim to provoke humiliation, insecurity, disorientation, exhaustion, anxiety and fear in the prisoners they are questioning, and suggest ways in which this can be achieved.

One PowerPoint training aid created in September 2005 tells trainee military interrogators that prisoners should be stripped before they are questioned. "Get them naked," it says. "Keep them naked if they do not follow commands." Another manual prepared around the same time advises the use of blindfolds to put prisoners under pressure.
Full story - Humiliate, strip, threaten: UK military interrogation manuals discovered | UK news | The Guardian

It's all getting very messy

C_C

i'm not shocked. and i'm sure most readers won't be shocked. if they do this to ANYBODY they take off the streets it's wrong. but to definitive enemy combatants.... not bothered. unless they electrocute their balls. if it's just mindgames and humiliation... pfft who cares.

it's a tough old world out there.

While I do not approve of such techniques by either US or UK military personnel, I await the apologies from those posters on other threads who got so worked up over similar US disclosures.
the trick is not to physically torture them and take pictures pointing at their bits and laughing.

sorry, after reading the entire article i must say. not good...

but JJH, nobody said we were better than the yanks. but at least we can admit when we f***ed up ;)
Au contraire mon ami. Several threads are rife with such assertions--and I hasten to again say I am not in any way defending any US practice along these lines either but rather gently pointing to the hypocrisy of some posters--no doubt borne either of an abiding dislike of all things American and/or appalling ignorance of which they were so quick to opine. As to your admission argument, I suppose it depends on which situation one examines and how you define "admit." For example, in this story, while(st) I no doubt missed it, I did not see any indication that anyone in MoD "admitted" anything of the sort.

Au contraire mon ami. Several threads are rife with such assertions--and I hasten to again say I am not in any way defending any US practice along these lines either but rather gently pointing to the hypocrisy of some posters
sorry to hear that. i hope you told them they are kn0bz.

no doubt borne either of an abiding dislike of all things American
i must admit, guilty as charged! *blush*
(well not all things, but most things... "Drive THRU... WTF man...)

As to your admission argument, I suppose it depends on which situation one examines and how you define "admit." For example, in this story, while(st) I no doubt missed it, I did not see any indication that anyone in MoD "admitted" anything of the sort.
not so much talking about the MOD. they'd be playing the politics game. "wut? didn't know that, naughty boys! them!"
i just feel that the british are slightly more aware of their faults, than the americans, because they've done a few hundred years more of bad stuff that everybody accuses them/us of. ;)

sorry to hear that. i hope you told them they are kn0bz.

i must admit, guilty as charged! *blush*
(well not all things, but most things... "Drive THRU... WTF man...)

not so much talking about the MOD. they'd be playing the politics game. "wut? didn't know that, naughty boys! them!"
i just feel that the british are slightly more aware of their faults, than the americans, because they've done a few hundred years more of bad stuff that everybody accuses them/us of. ;)
Very good indeed. As to the last point I suppose it still depends on the specifics but I accept your view and note that our current Master is doing all He can to right the imbalance with his serial "apology tours" around the world.

All those quotes in the Grauniad are from old US interrogation manuals.
They were written with the aim of reigning in overzealous graduates from client states, who would traditionally go straight for the pliers and blowtorch.
Just because some throbber has gone off brief and drafted them up, complete with powerpoint presentations, doesn't mean that they're current approved practice.
In any case, if the chattering classes believe that a little sleep deprivation and enforced nudity is beyond the pale, would they prefer their toenails trimmed with a pair of boltcutters or a little adhoc amatuer dentistry perhaps?

I, and no doubt many members of IJLB went through this, and worse, in basic training.

And we do it to our enemies??????........no shit!!!!

i'm not shocked. and i'm sure most readers won't be shocked. if they do this to ANYBODY they take off the streets it's wrong. but to definitive enemy combatants.... not bothered. unless they electrocute their balls. if it's just mindgames and humiliation... pfft who cares.

it's a tough old world out there.

the trick is not to physically torture them and take pictures pointing at their bits and laughing.
What about Video "Oh yes! Oh yes! You're gonna get it. Yes, naughty little boys!" ? I seem to remember that didnt go over well

Latest Threads