UK may send troops to Congo

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by brettarider, Nov 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So just were does Cyclops think he can find the troops and funds to do so looks like some poor lads wont be home for christmas.....again this shower of sh1te of a goverment need to realize we are fighting on 2 fronts let the other NATO members who do jack sh1t take the reins for once

Britain may need to send troops to the war-torn Democratic Republic of Congo if diplomatic efforts to find a solution to the crisis fail, a Foreign Office minister has warned. Skip related content
    Related photos / videos
    UK 'may send troops to Congo'

Lord Malloch-Brown said that the UK and other European powers could not stand back if the fighting between government and rebel forces erupted again.

His comments came as Foreign Secretary David Miliband and his French counterpart Bernard Kouchner were embarking on a joint mission to the region to try to bring the warring parties together.

Lord Malloch-Brown said that while the priority was to find a diplomatic solution, contingency plans were being drawn up for the deployment of an EU force to bolster United Nations peacekeepers.

"We have certainly got to have it as an option which is developed and on the table if we need it," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"The first line of call on this should be the deployment of the UN's own troops from elsewhere in the country.

"But we have got to have plans. If everything else fails we cannot stand back and watch violence erupt.

"Britain is currently the so-called standby country which would indeed need to contribute."

Lord Malloch-Brown stressed that the deployment of EU troops was a last option if all else failed.

Nevertheless his comments are likely to alarm British commanders at time when the Army is stretched fighting on two fronts in Afghanistan and Iraq.
  2. I concur
  3. If EU troops are deployed there it's fair to assume they'll be French-speaking.
  4. Do they do Osprey in Tropical DPM? No? Cos' they don't do CS95 in the fooking stuff...
  5. :evil: African problem = african solution

Fooking stay away from this kind of crap and let the african nations do their thing its NOT our problem!
  6. The title should say "UK Plans to hold next years ACF annual camp in the Congo!"
  7. now theres a reality tv show if ever i saw one:

celeb peace keepers

i nominate jade goody and peirs morgan to be on it.
  8. Absolutely concur. The problems with this would seem to be:

- where the heck are they going to get the troops from to deploy?
    - this is a tribal conflict; the equivalent of a "domestic"
    - as identified above, it's an African problem; therefore, let them find an African solution

The only reason I can think of for any non-African country getting involved in this would be to salve their consciences for not getting involved in the genocide of Rwanda, standing buy whilst mass murder took place.
  9. Don't forget Zimbabwe Let's not do anything at all there.
    That'll keep the region nicely unstable. Perhaps we could sell someone some weapons...
  10. Could be a job for the FFL or the Belgian paras, currently under-employed.
  11. Ridiculous. Assuming for a minute we had any reason to get involved the Congo is the size of Western Europe. You could deploy the entire British army and not cover a quarter of the ground. We could find maybe a RIC or two at best and when our politicians realise they've made another futile gesture to salve their consciences then.....E & E to Kenya? They just don't seem to learn.
  12. We'd end up fighting a fruitless and unpopular war against some insurgent faction whose diamond mines we were threatening. It would become our Vietnam.

Now the French don't look too busy at all... :twisted:
  13. As much as I don't like the idea of innocent people being killed anywhere

Africans have been killing eachother since long before I was born... Africans will still be killing eachother long after I am dead. The best solution to African problems are African solutions as has been mentioned. Thus proved by foreign military history in the region.

Lets stick to the other countries we've tampered with first.

Edit to add: the numbers involved as stated would have to be massive to make any decent dent. Painting three snatches and a Bedford Green and sending them over with a Platoon of TA Chefs won't cut it.
  14. Yay - another medal and loan service pay for lots of senior officers. What's not to like? :D
  15. Personally I'd say this is a bit of posturing by the gobment.

Make it look like they are about to do something impressive so as to look good to our global neighbours. Make a statement to that effect so that all the members of the public with more than a single brain cell who know that our Armed Forces wouldn't be able to sustain any more operational strain leave the Outrage Bus in REME where it's being worked on for over use and deploy the entire 49 Outrage Transport Sqn.
    Gobment then gets to sit back and say that their people have spoken and it's a democracy after all, then send a token few troops to act as liason into a potentially dangerous situation with so many restrictions on their orders for opening fire that they have to get written permission from the Congolese Army before they can fart.

Still, I'll get my old beret out and wait for a lovely little letter from RTMC, with the amount of troops already dedicated to far flung hot places they should almost be desperate enough for a fat knacker ex loggie like me.

Does anyone other than Capt. Edmund Blackadder know how to say 'Do you do it doggy doggy?' in Swahili?