UK Lt. Gets MC for Heroism Including a Bayonet Charge!

#1
Lieutenant Jim Adamson made a bayonet charge against enemy forces protecting the lives of soldiers in his platoon while on tour in Afghanistan.


14 September 2009
By REBECCA RICHARDSON


AN Army officer from the Isle of Man is to be awarded the Military Cross for supreme courage and calm leadership in combat.


Lt Adamson, 24, then a platoon commander with The Royal Regiment of Scotland and who was once a former Isle of Man army cadet, said of his bravery: 'I was acting on auto-pilot more than anything. The nature of the terrain and conflict there means it is more natural that platoon commanders see action now rather than stand back and command.'

The Military Cross is one of the highest awards army personnel can receive for courage under fire, and Lt Adamson was one of just nine soldiers in the British Army to get the award in the latest Operation Honours List announced on Friday.

On October 7, 2008, Lt Adamson's platoon came into repeated contact with enemy forces.

His platoon continued to advance, but the sections became separated as they secured the compounds taken.

'My sections were static, but too far apart for my liking,' said Lt Adamson.

He was with mortar fire controller Corporal Hamilton and an interpreter and they were moving up a shallow stream to link up with one of the sections, when two Taliban fighters emerged five metres in front of them firing a machine gun.

Corporal Hamilton wounded one of the enemy and Lt Adamson fatally wounded the other.

But as they were re-loading, the wounded Taliban 're-engaged us from very close quarters and I was forced to use my bayonet to kill him, which is a very rare situation for a platoon commander to find himself in', Lt Adamson told the Examiner.

The Military Cross citation reads: 'Adamson's leadership throughout the day was exceptional. His actions neutralised an enemy flanking attack that could have resulted in his platoon taking casualties. Adamson's supreme physical courage, combined with the calm leadership he continued to display after such a traumatic and bloody experience was of the very highest order.

'They set the greatest possible example to the company and had an inspirational effect on his men for the final hard remaining weeks of the tour. Adamson's actions on this day are deserving of the highest official recognition.'

Earlier this year in recognition of his bravery in Afghanistan he received a Mention in Dispatches (MiD), the oldest form of recognition for gallantry within the UK Armed Forces.

Lt Adamson attended Ramsey Grammar School, and was commissioned into the Army as an officer in August 2007. He is currently a Company Second in Command with his battalion, which is based in Canterbury, although he is to be posted to the Falklands Islands for two months this month.
He was in the Isle of Man Army Cadet Force between the ages of 13-17 years.

His parents Andrew and Trisha still live in the Isle of Man.
 
#2
I read this a little while ago, I think it was in The Telegraph. Sparkling drills and fückin' nails, the fella!

MsG
 
#3
Bugsy said:
I read this a little while ago, I think it was in The Telegraph. Sparkling drills and fückin' nails, the fella!

MsG
His picture is quite deceiving in terms of stereotypes. What an officer though-the MC and MID for the same action!
 
#5
Bazzinho1977 said:
Brilliant. Heroic. Unbelievable.

But sadly, still GWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR.
You gonne tell him? Thought not-a bayonet up the jacksie might smart. :D :D

Good drills that man!
 
#6
devexwarrior said:
Bazzinho1977 said:
Brilliant. Heroic. Unbelievable.

But sadly, still GWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR.
You gonne tell him? Thought not-a bayonet up the jacksie might smart. :D :D

Good drills that man!
No, probably not.

And what makes his actions even more unbelievable is the fact that he managed all of them in a hot sunny country. He must have some mighty powerful sunblock. :D
 
#8
Bazzinho1977 said:
Brilliant. Heroic. Unbelievable.

But sadly, still GWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR.
Wrong! Known him since he was 13 - saw him at a celebration Saturday evening - pale but not the G-word.
 
#9
Manninagh said:
Bazzinho1977 said:
Brilliant. Heroic. Unbelievable.

But sadly, still GWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR.
Wrong! Known him since he was 13 - saw him at a celebration Saturday evening - pale but not the G-word.
When you ext see him, tell him well done from a septic.
 
#10
Nails.... a Proud day for the Royal Regiment of Scotland and the British Army...

Maybe some of those Americans with a Bag On over the Lockerbie incident and since have refused to buy anything 'Scottish' will have a change of heart when they read the likes of this...
 
#12
Just got back from a holiday in the Isle of Man, had a good piece on him in the main paper over there.
 
#13
Gunner4388 said:
Hope he shouted "In -Out - on guard" during the bayonetting bit
Well done sir!!
LOL, from someone who is about to teach 19th century bayonet drill to some re-enactors, I would like to say top work fella! May be he could come and give them some pointers!!! :D
 
#14
Gundulph said:
Nails.... a Proud day for the Royal Regiment of Scotland and the British Army...

Maybe some of those Americans with a Bag On over the Lockerbie incident and since have refused to buy anything 'Scottish' will have a change of heart when they read the likes of this...
Er, hang about, Gundulph. I believe the article said he's a Manxman.

MsG
 
#15
Bugsy said:
Gundulph said:
Nails.... a Proud day for the Royal Regiment of Scotland and the British Army...

Maybe some of those Americans with a Bag On over the Lockerbie incident and since have refused to buy anything 'Scottish' will have a change of heart when they read the likes of this...
Er, hang about, Gundulph. I believe the article said he's a Manxman.

MsG
That is ok Bugsy--I doubt whether many Americans even know what Lockerbie incident was much less difference between Scotland and Ilse of Man.
 
#16
Fair play to the bloke for being able to hit the target. Have you seen how close together his eyes are, his depth perception must be shit.



I think he must be related to my avatar.
 
#17
spaz said:
Fair play to the bloke for being able to hit the target. Have you seen how close together his eyes are, his depth perception must be shit.



I think he must be related to my avatar.
Feel free to test him--I will pass.
 
#20
Shorncliffe_Rifles said:
jumpinjarhead said:
spaz said:
Fair play to the bloke for being able to hit the target. Have you seen how close together his eyes are, his depth perception must be shit.



I think he must be related to my avatar.
Feel free to test him--I will pass.
So thats the look of a stone, cold, killer! Nice hair.
Actually, he looks like a geezer you wouldn't wanna fück with if you could avoid it. He looks as if he well deserved his MM and MiD, and well done to him again too!

MsG
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top