Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

UK journo kidnapped in Basra

The BBC is reporting that a freelance journalist writing for the Daily Telegraph has been kidnapped by insurgents in Basra.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3560892.stm

Whilst one must question the wisdom of staying in a hotel in the middle of a sh*thole like Basra, it is worrying that the insurgents have the confidence to do this sort of thing. Still, no doubt the politicians who insisted on the'softly-softly' approach know best....

http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=11132

British journalist kidnapped and threatened with execution

Reporters Without Borders today denounced what it called the "despicable" threat to kill British Sunday Telegraph journalist James Brandon (photo) by kidnappers who seized him from a hotel in the southern Iraqi city of Basra on 12 August and demanded that US troops withdraw from the holy city of Najaf within 24 hours in exchange for his life.

"We call on the kidnappers to free him immediately and unconditionally," it said. "Journalists are civilians and not part of the fighting. Their job is to inform the public and in no circumstances can they be used as objects in bargaining."

The worldwide press freedom organisation noted that, with 33 journalists and assistants killed so far in the Iraqi conflict, the media had already paid "a very heavy price" and "continue to do their job there in extremely hazardous conditions." It said the kidnapping and threat to kill Brandon was "a threat to all media working in Iraq."

Brandon, 23, was seized from his hotel room by several dozen unidentified gunmen who had reportedly demanded to see the hotel check-in book and accused the hotel owner of harbouring foreigners. The Associated Press news agency said they shot Brandon twice in the leg.

The kidnappers released a video in which they said they would only free him if US forces besieging Najaf left the city within the next 24 hours. They described themselves simply as "sons of the Iraqi people." In the video, Brandon stated his name and newspaper and said he was just a journalist whose job was to report the news.

Sunday Telegraph deputy editor Matthew d'Ancona said Brandon was in Basra filing material for this Sunday's paper. "We are pursuing his situation with the greatest concern," he said.

Pleased to hear he's now safe

He's got quite a scoop and might even get a book out of it, fair play after a day of sphincter-twitching!

Wonder if he'll go the way of Yvonne Ridley, after her Taliban experience, who is now somewhere to the left of George Galloway!

not meaning to sound cruel but somet here doesnt smell right

kidnapped and released in less the 24 hours :eek:

bad guys made to look good by releasing him
and he gets a good story

i might be wrong and if i am, i appolgise

FBW said:
not meaning to sound cruel but somet here doesnt smell right

kidnapped and released in less the 24 hours :eek:

bad guys made to look good by releasing him
and he gets a good story

i might be wrong and if i am, i appolgise

Maybe the opposition is merely implementing their information warfare plan ...

My guess is he was just glad he wasn't queened. :D

But seriously, glad to hear he was released. Since Al Jazeera was booted out of Iraq, the insurgents have to kiss up to someone in PR. :wink: