UK Irrelevant in World Affairs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AndyPipkin, Nov 13, 2017 at 1:03 PM.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Says Jonathan Powell:

Britain once punched above its weight. Now we are irrelevant | Jonathan Powell

Of course this is a long term trend, and the UK has been living off the dying embers of imperial grandeur for many years, but Brexit certainly seems to have accelerated it.

“There are two kinds of European nations,” Jensen told the audience gathered for the Road to Brexit event in the Danish parliament. “There are small nations and there are countries that have not yet realised they are small nations.”

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. Maybe it is about time we focussed on our own country rather than others.

• Like Like x 16
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Oh goody, another thread linked to Brexit. Just what we needed! :threaten:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Should merge them with the SLR threads

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. JCC

JCC Swinger

I wonder what the reaction in Europe would be if the UK said it could no longer afford to stay in NATO and was going to reconfigure for purely homeland defence?

• Like Like x 4
  6. A massive increase in Imodium sales?

Edited for krap spollung

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  7. JCC

JCC Swinger

Maybe a card worth playing...

8. I see what you did there.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. I think that plan is already 50% complete.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hmm.. its from that bastion of truth, well the sort the lefties & snowflakes believe, the Guardian and written by a guy Jonathan Powell, who just happened to be Tony Blair’s chief of staff from 1995 to 2007 .
    So hardly surprising that he is trashing Britain, after all his former boss did it in spades in his terms as PM.
    Frankly a load of lefty clap trap. Of course we aren't as powerful or influential as we were pre 1914, mainly due to the fact that we bankrupted ourselves TWICE fighting for much of Europes freedom, bleeding not only our financial strength but much of the strong adventurous bloodlines who perished in those conflicts, allowing the USA to take over.
    We still have a lot more say & influence than any one of the EU states and when shove comes to push probably the whole corrupt edifice of the EU.

• Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Are you sure that's terribly wise, Sir?
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
  12. Who? I think someone's been writing that kind of doom-laden article every six months since 1947

I think Brexit is the biggest con-job since 'This will not effect the pound in your pocket' or 'Options for Change' but even I don't see it in quite the apocalyptic terms some are playing it as

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 2:26 PM
    • Like Like x 2
  13. You are Jeremy Corbyn and I claim my 5 North Korean Won.

• Funny Funny x 3

14. Who?

Is his opinion worth anything?

15. Have we still "never had it so good".