UK India Mutiny ceremony blocked

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7009742.stm

UK India Mutiny ceremony blocked

The BJP said at no cost would it allow the British group into Lucknow
Indian officials have refused to allow a British group to hold a remembrance ceremony in Lucknow to mark the 150th anniversary of an Indian revolt.

Hundreds died as rebels laid siege to the British compound in the city during the 1857 mutiny against colonial rule.

The group of retired British soldiers and civilians is following a trail of sites associated with the revolt.

India's main opposition Hindu nationalist party has called for demonstrations against the visit.

Soldiers across different garrisons in northern India revolted against their British officers in 1857 but the rebellion was crushed by the British.

The Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party said it would not let the visitors into Lucknow, the capital of Uttar Pradesh.

"At no cost will our party allow the group into the city. They are not tourists but family members of the killers of our freedom fighters," said Lalji Tandon, a local BJP leader.

Paying homage

A senior Uttar Pradesh official ruled out a ban on the British group but said any prayers or celebrations planned for the fallen Britons would not be permitted.

"There is no problem if someone wants to pay homage to his forefathers in a peaceful manner but we shall not allow any celebration," local media quoted the state's principal secretary as saying.

Officials of the Archaeological Survey of India told the BBC no prayer or ceremony could be allowed at the site, which is now a protected historical monument.

The UK group was due to arrive in Lucknow on Monday, a day ahead of the anniversary.

Sir Mark Havelock, a descendant of Gen Henry Havelock, who led the recapture of Lucknow from the Indian sepoys, is among the visitors.

It is reported that the group intended to present two portraits of Gen Havelock and a plan of the route soldiers took to recapture the city to a local museum.

The group has already travelled across Delhi, Agra and Meerut, which saw much violence during the uprising.
Any thoughts...

Got to say I can see where the opposition to this is coming from.

We mostly have the sanitized victors version of events and I would be very surprised if it was even close to the verison the opposition take as gospel truth.

Now I know that we let Germans wander around London looking for where their Granddad bombed the chippy but that is because we won in the end.

Different mind set you see.

It sounds like polititians trying to score points. And while I can understand local sensitivities lets not forget this was 150 years ago and anyway didn't the Indians do a bit of their own slaughtering of men women and children?

Non story if you ask me.

India/Pakistan had a good old gloat a couple of months ago at the 60th anniversary of the slaughter that followed their independance.

(Repeat after me) 'But thats different' :(

benjaminw1 said:
Their country they can do what they like....
Exactly. I can undersatnd the Indians' attitude and the fact that it's 150 years ago doesn't make a bit of difference. I'm well aware that there were atrocities commited by both sides but we tend to remember their atrocities and no doubt tyey remember ours.

craftsmanx said:
benjaminw1 said:
Their country they can do what they like....
Exactly. I can undersatnd the Indians' attitude and the fact that it's 150 years ago doesn't make a bit of difference. I'm well aware that there were atrocities commited by both sides but we tend to remember their atrocities and no doubt tyey remember ours.
..and they refer to mutineers (only a very small part of the population and Bengal Army revolted) as freedom fighters, neglecting the fact that a great many Indians helped put the mutiny down.

Agreed that it's their country and they can do what they like. Still, it does seem a missed opportunity for a bit of reconciliation. As I understand it, a British military contingent is likely to be invited to the 100th anniversary of the Easter Rising in Dublin and maybe something similar could have been organised in India? Then again, maybe there are official bi-national events going on?

Would be interesting to hear what rayc has got to say on this...

They should lay siege to the place

I'm sure I read that just prior to Gulf War 2,the local Muslim cleric at Lucknow had warned against British/American tourists visiting the site? (a protest at impending military action)

Happy to be corrected though!

Where's RayC when you need him!

Bet if the descendants of the natives who died who live in our fair land would be allowed to hold some kind celebration. Irony of sorts.

Steven said:
Got to say I can see where the opposition to this is coming from.

We mostly have the sanitized victors version of events and I would be very surprised if it was even close to the verison the opposition take as gospel truth.

Now I know that we let Germans wander around London looking for where their Granddad bombed the chippy but that is because we won in the end.

Different mind set you see.
What a brilliant way to put it.

Taz_786 said:
The 'Mutiny' is known by Indians as the First War of Independence.
Interesting, as we weren't the first invaders.

How many other wars of independence were there?

Its their Country and they can play the game as THEY SEE IT.

After all, they are not British, who like to be walked over for the sake of upsetting the little devils.

Saying that, if they were in the UK and wanted a similar service I am sure that this 'refusal' would be seen as racist and we our goverment would let them do it.

I'm Indian and I'm quite embarrassed. The BJP are a bunch of right-wing, ultra nationalist nutjobs who will politicize anything. Most Indians have no hard feelings about Britain. I recall that in 1947 the then newly independent India's leadership asked Mountbatten to stay on as the head of state of India to demonstrate this lack of hard feelings. Mountbatten served India in this capacity, graciously, for about a year.

BTW, the BJP party includes the movement that planned the killing of Gandhi. Total rotters.