UK immigrant spouses English test

#1
The Telegraph claims that there will be an announcement today regarding English language tests for wives/partners coming here from abroad.

story here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ust-learn-English-before-they-come-to-UK.html

That should change some chat-up lines a bit, eg

before
Man: Do you speak English?
Woman: little (giggle giggle)
Man: (giggle giggle)

after
Man: Do you speak English?
Woman: little (giggle giggle)
Man: You scheming little bitch, you're just after my money, passport &c &c
 
#3
We need to teach English language to the natives before worrying about anyone else.

My bank in Hastings yesterday.I was greeted with;"Awright mate.Wot d'yuh wan' toodai" This from the spotty diamond earing wearing male yoof behind the glass.
 
#4
Good. Long overdue
Can we insist that they are only allowed to import one wife while we are at it? An explain that you aren't allowed repeated trips to bring back the wifes sisters on the same passport?
 
#6
On a similar subject has anyone had a look at the "Britishness Test" that foreigners are or were required to take?! without any prior studying of the subjects covered in the test I seriously doubt that anyone who was actually Born & Bred in the U.K. with a family tree going back to Pre-Roman times would be able to pass it 8O

My wife is from Sarajevo speaks fluent English but would probably fail an English test if it was compiled of similar utter tripe like the "Britishness Test" ...
 
#7
jagman said:
Good. Long overdue
Can we insist that they are only allowed to import one wife while we are at it? An explain that you aren't allowed repeated trips to bring back the wifes sisters on the same passport?
...if you add that the schools for learning English would also be in their home countries, I'll back that!
 
#8
Seems a bit of a sop. Speaking of Thai wives, the Thais themselves insist on a an established monthly minimum income of £847.50 if you want to import a spouse as a guarantee that that it will be you and not the taxpayer who will be keeping her (or him) in the style to which they have become accustomed. Other countries I think require evidence of at least 10k already in the bank. (Canada?) Something like that would be a decent start.

EDIT: Obviously the monthly minimum income would have to be far higher in the UK given the much greater cost of living.
 
#10
tom_dkg said:
jagman said:
Good. Long overdue
Can we insist that they are only allowed to import one wife while we are at it? An explain that you aren't allowed repeated trips to bring back the wifes sisters on the same passport?
...if you add that the schools for learning English would also be in their home countries, I'll back that!
Given that they need to pass the test before a visa is granted they will be taking the test in the country of origin anyway.
 

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
#11
jagman said:
tom_dkg said:
jagman said:
Good. Long overdue
Can we insist that they are only allowed to import one wife while we are at it? An explain that you aren't allowed repeated trips to bring back the wifes sisters on the same passport?
...if you add that the schools for learning English would also be in their home countries, I'll back that!
Given that they need to pass the test before a visa is granted they will be taking the test in the country of origin anyway.
In that case it won't be a case of whether they understand, speak, write English but how the test is presented (or in simple terms, money).
 
#13
ancienturion said:
jagman said:
tom_dkg said:
jagman said:
Good. Long overdue
Can we insist that they are only allowed to import one wife while we are at it? An explain that you aren't allowed repeated trips to bring back the wifes sisters on the same passport?
...if you add that the schools for learning English would also be in their home countries, I'll back that!
Given that they need to pass the test before a visa is granted they will be taking the test in the country of origin anyway.
In that case it won't be a case of whether they understand, speak, write English but how the test is presented (or in simple terms, money).
That's true. My Señora couldn't pass an english test if her life depended on it, but then again coming from a small village and having left school at 14 she couldn't pass a spanish test either and she is , shall we say, more than a tad fluent in that language. She always says that for her to learn to speak the language fluently she would have to live in the country and use it every day, which is how she learned catalan.
Seems to be a not completely thought through measure with the aim of seen to be doing something.
If I decided to retire to the Northumbrian hills that rule could cause problems, and the test probably wouldn't be aplicable to Northumberland anyway, bonny lads.
 
#14
Surely they could get around this the same way the British get around their lack of lingustic skills when abroad? Just keep shouting louder and louder and slower and slower until Johnny Foreigner understands "Dos beeros".
 
#15
Gundulph said:
On a similar subject has anyone had a look at the "Britishness Test" that foreigners are or were required to take?! without any prior studying of the subjects covered in the test I seriously doubt that anyone who was actually Born & Bred in the U.K. with a family tree going back to Pre-Roman times would be able to pass it 8O

My wife is from Sarajevo speaks fluent English but would probably fail an English test if it was compiled of similar utter tripe like the "Britishness Test" ...
Fluent English? You must have given her an injection of vowels then :lol:
 
#16
How topical, my boss' wife, an American, has to do hers again today. I've had a look at the test and, like Gundulph, I would defy most on here to pass it. (The "Britishness" test)
 
#17
Gundulph said:
On a similar subject has anyone had a look at the "Britishness Test" that foreigners are or were required to take?! without any prior studying of the subjects covered in the test I seriously doubt that anyone who was actually Born & Bred in the U.K. with a family tree going back to Pre-Roman times would be able to pass it 8O

My wife is from Sarajevo speaks fluent English but would probably fail an English test if it was compiled of similar utter tripe like the "Britishness Test" ...
English language testing is one thing, but this "Britishness" test seems quite similar to the one they have adopted in Oz. It's a load of PC twaddle! I mean who cares who Don Bradman was anyway! :roll:
 
#19
Where the bloke will be supporting his family off his own back, I don't think it matters a monkeys whether his wife can speak English before getting here or not. I also can't see how this'll cut down on sham marriages in any way. It just means they're better able to lie in English.
 
#20
bullet_catcher said:
The Telegraph claims that there will be an announcement today regarding English language tests for wives/partners coming here from abroad.

story here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ust-learn-English-before-they-come-to-UK.html

That should change some chat-up lines a bit, eg

before
Man: Do you speak English?
Woman: little (giggle giggle)
Man: (giggle giggle)

after
Man: Do you speak English?
Woman: little (giggle giggle)
Man: You scheming little bitch, you're just after my money, passport &c &c
I really don't see the logic in this, nor the fairness. Nor am I aware of another country where , eg, UK nationals need to prove they speak the language before they can live there with their spouses.