UK immigrant spouses English test

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bullet_catcher, Jun 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Telegraph claims that there will be an announcement today regarding English language tests for wives/partners coming here from abroad.

story here

That should change some chat-up lines a bit, eg

Man: Do you speak English?
    Woman: little (giggle giggle)
    Man: (giggle giggle)

Man: Do you speak English?
    Woman: little (giggle giggle)
    Man: You scheming little bitch, you're just after my money, passport &c &c
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The price of asian wives will go up I guess - more inflationary pressure on the UK economy....
  3. We need to teach English language to the natives before worrying about anyone else.

My bank in Hastings yesterday.I was greeted with;"Awright mate.Wot d'yuh wan' toodai" This from the spotty diamond earing wearing male yoof behind the glass.
  4. Good. Long overdue
    Can we insist that they are only allowed to import one wife while we are at it? An explain that you aren't allowed repeated trips to bring back the wifes sisters on the same passport?
  5. More work and wealth for the professional exam takers.

Me? Cynical? :)
  6. On a similar subject has anyone had a look at the "Britishness Test" that foreigners are or were required to take?! without any prior studying of the subjects covered in the test I seriously doubt that anyone who was actually Born & Bred in the U.K. with a family tree going back to Pre-Roman times would be able to pass it 8O

My wife is from Sarajevo speaks fluent English but would probably fail an English test if it was compiled of similar utter tripe like the "Britishness Test" ...
  7. ...if you add that the schools for learning English would also be in their home countries, I'll back that!
  8. Seems a bit of a sop. Speaking of Thai wives, the Thais themselves insist on a an established monthly minimum income of £847.50 if you want to import a spouse as a guarantee that that it will be you and not the taxpayer who will be keeping her (or him) in the style to which they have become accustomed. Other countries I think require evidence of at least 10k already in the bank. (Canada?) Something like that would be a decent start.

EDIT: Obviously the monthly minimum income would have to be far higher in the UK given the much greater cost of living.
  9. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

It's not a case of speaking English.... can someone please get The Scarey One to shut the feck up please!
  10. Given that they need to pass the test before a visa is granted they will be taking the test in the country of origin anyway.
  11. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

In that case it won't be a case of whether they understand, speak, write English but how the test is presented (or in simple terms, money).
  12. Is this above watford services or below?
  13. That's true. My Señora couldn't pass an english test if her life depended on it, but then again coming from a small village and having left school at 14 she couldn't pass a spanish test either and she is , shall we say, more than a tad fluent in that language. She always says that for her to learn to speak the language fluently she would have to live in the country and use it every day, which is how she learned catalan.
    Seems to be a not completely thought through measure with the aim of seen to be doing something.
    If I decided to retire to the Northumbrian hills that rule could cause problems, and the test probably wouldn't be aplicable to Northumberland anyway, bonny lads.
  14. Surely they could get around this the same way the British get around their lack of lingustic skills when abroad? Just keep shouting louder and louder and slower and slower until Johnny Foreigner understands "Dos beeros".
  15. Fluent English? You must have given her an injection of vowels then :lol: