UK & France get poor marks in European democracy ranking

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by rockape34, Feb 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. According to a new Swiss-German study UK democracy has many shortcomings

2. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

what a load of ballcocks.....hey guys look we've defined something and added numbers to it and look you're bad...

3. While we can by no means hold our style of government up to the light of progressiveness the whole study is out of date. The fact that Switzerland had such a dodgy banking industry, backed by the swiss government, alone makes the whole study questionable. I'm quite pleased to see that Germany is high in the table tbh. If they weren't I'd be expecting another lemming like crusade soon.

Plus the Swiss are made to like Gypos ffs!
  4. It sounds accurate to me. I don't see the connection between dodgy bankers and a study in democracy. If the is such a connection Britain has plenty of well qualifed people to do a study.
    One miserable vote every five years, to elect people who will then ignore us, is not my view of a progressive 21st century democtaric state.
  5. Sounds fair enough.

As stolen from someones sig block

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
    Winston Churchill
  6. But then the UK is not, never has been, and never claimed to be, a democracy. We live quite happily in a Monarchy.

Did the cabbage munchers, by any chance, analyse the EU. I think that would be an interesting study in how not to be a Democracy.
  7. Interesting to see that Belgium, which regularly struggles to form any Government as the 2 racial groups hate each other, got a higher rating than us !
  8. Yes the study is bollocks, and yes it is done by foreigners so double bollocks, but surely no-one is going to try and seriously maintain that a distorted voting system, a media skewed by private business interests and a declining trust in the police are things you don't recognise in the UK today?

And I agree with Rockpile - I think what we have is a pretty piss poor return considering the sacrifices that have been made for it.
  9. Of course Germany is more democratic, they have a federal system where each Land has it's own Parliament (Landestag) with a veto at the federal (Bundestag) level. Ulster, Wales and Scotland have similar structures but the vast majority, the English, don't.
  10. The connections is a bit of the old hypocrisy and how the study ignores the importance of an accountable banking sector. It's just that economics is the foundation of any government. Oh it's very noble to proclaim defence of the realm but what it really is about is defence of the economy. And who benefits?

It's a point of view, from me, about this study having a scope of reference that can be questioned. I am not defending or suggesting the UK should be higher in the league table. I wouldn't care if we were bottom, truth be told I'd like for us to be bottom then I can gloat a wee bit. It's just that statistics are open to manipulation.
  11. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

That's because the reforms brought in under the previous administration were ill concieved drivel that actually decreased the level of democratic accountability in this country and made the Lords an even bigger cesspit of patronage than it was before.

With Scotland, Wales, NI having their own Parliament/Assembly, the Commons should have been made the English Parliament and a fully elected House of Lords the Federal Parliament of the UK. It's so bleeding obvious a child could come up with it.
  12. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

2 questions - why is a declining trust in the police a sign of poor democracy? And how does a study into democratic standards in Europe completely miss the banana republic farce of a house of lords that is appointed by the incumbent political group?
  13. Thinking on. Perhaps I and the rest of the untermench should take this study more literal and join our Arab brothers and amass at the steps of Westminster.

Now, where did I put that box of blindfolds.
  14. You probably don't remember Cromwell then. I've never likened our parliamentary system to Saudi Arabia before. I'll give the matter some thought.
  15. Fish Soup - I'd have thought the relationship society has with it's police is right at the heart of a quality democracy.

If you believe you are being policed by an over-mighty, over zealous, power hungry, politically motivated, anti-citizen bunch of tossers then that presumably is not what you either voted for, or would have voted for if anyone had given you the chance.