UK fracking - Forget cheap gas

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Speedy, Apr 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This really baffles me. I can't help but feel that the UK govt actually against this on the grounds that it's deny them taxes? In the US it has turned things around, but it seems the govt is throwing up various obstacles.

BBC News - UK shale gas bonanza 'not assured'

Admittedly, some of the reasons given seem reasonable enough, and typical of the BBc they allow the 'anti-anything' groups more page space for quotes than anyone else.
    It seems to me we go out of our way to find reasons not to do things rather than cracking on.
  2. Gas is only going to increase in price, coal is cheaper, logs can be free, get a multi-fuel stove fitted i'm saving a fortune. My gas bills were £1500 a year. Tonne of coal is £300, logs from my Dad nothing.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. UK = Forget cheap anything! :)
    • Like Like x 8
  4. I tried running my car on coal and wood without much success I'm afraid.

If you want a glimpse of the future do a Google search on how much shell and the other oil co's are investing in LNG (that's not LPG btw)

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  5. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Oh look its the stuff they used to flare off on the oil rigs! DOH!
  6. You'll not stall a steam traction engine and traffic jams wouldn't be a problem, just keep going.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Fracking will still go ahead regardless and the big conglomerates will reap the big bucks as usual.

Some rather nice bits of the UK and Ireland will be screwed for years after the rigs have gone.
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Yes, we're run by green mongs obsessed with saving frigging Polar Bears

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Cheap gas is only in the interests of consumers and they don't count. In addition to some practical development issues, such as mineral ownership and exploitation rights in the UK v the US, there are strong systemic reasons holding back shale development.

1. The energy producers - they have made huge investments in LNG and the last thing they want is to see the value of these investments decimated by cheap shale gas, locally produced.
    2. The energy deliverers - they have signed long term contracts with energy producers based on LNG prices. The availability of cheap, locally produced shale gas will undercut them to a degree where they can't possibly compete. It is in their interest to defer the introduction of shale gas into these markets for as long as possible in order to maximise current value, limit exposure and/or rebalance their portfolio and contract positions.
    3. The alternative energy producers - with shale gas, the need for heavily subsidised alternatives goes away for a century or so, effectively wiping them out. These companies are extremely well-connected politically.
    4. The Green lobby - the Greens are in no doubt that shale gas changes the debate entirely. 'Peak Oil' was always a flaky argument but the advent of shale gas destroys it completely, removing much of the imperative for the rapid development of alternatives and leaving them dependent on an increasingly challenged 'let's reduce CO2' argument.
    5. Politicians - global warming has been a wonderful vote winner and money-raiser. All the mainstream parties are wedded to it and there will be electoral penalties if they try to modify their position before the population has been acclimatised to the idea.

All in all, you have an unholy but very powerful and well-funded group of aligned interests who have no interest in seeing the development of cheap power based on hydrocarbon development, certainly in the short to medium term - the need to boost the economy will eventually force shale development in the UK but a lot of people want to put that 'evil day' off for as long as possible and are heavily incentivised to do so.
    • Like Like x 7
  10. Nice? I hear blackpool was on the list. Who would honestly notice?
  11. You must have the wrong type of car. Ze Germans managed it.

12. With any luck south Armagh will be on the list,who would notice or care?
  13. I would, South Armagh is a lovely place this time of year.

Sent via Tapatalk HD
  14. Only if they're run by idiots with no concept of sunk cost. If a company can make more money selling shale gas than any other sort then it will - whether they've spent £1 on developing the other method or £1,000,000,000.
    • Like Like x 1