UK Foreign Legion

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by oldbaldy, Feb 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2033508.0.UK_overseas_armed_forces_match_French_Foreign_Legion.php

Perhaps we should start a Regiment especially for foreign nationals

2. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I thought that the RLC was that already?

3. if they're willing volunteers then whats the problem?

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I don't have a problem but it does show the problem of recruiting UK Nationals. Take away the foreigners & we would be up sh!t creek.

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

you assume we are not already..... :cry:

6. Because some of their views on the British army invading/peace keeping in Kenya/Zimbabwe/Fiji etc etc are rather disturbing.

7. So more than 9 out of 10 are UK nationals. I agree that we need these troops but I fail to see how more than 9 out of 10 is an insignificant number compared to less than 1 out of 10.

It would also be interesting to see how many other nations have foreign nationals in their ranks and what the ratios are.

8. Spain has loads. The foreign legion's long gone, but now the forces actively recruit in South and Central America with citizenship as the prize. Don't know the figures but 15-20% wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

9. forgive my ignorance but will these chaps who have served have any citizenship rights?

11. Bear in mind that if we didn't recruit from Fiji, then the Army are likely to be beaten by the Navy in May at Twickenham :)

12. This is not a uniquely UK issue. The US Army employs huge numbers of foreigners, most of whom aspire to citizenship but do not yet have it. many of them (mostly hispanic of one nationality or another) hardly speak English. Without them (actually, even with them) the US Army has serious manning issues.

13. No more than any other run-of-the-mill immigrant.

EDITED TO ADD: Can apply for citizenship after 5 years residence in the UK.

14. Aussie army recruits a few foreigners too. Poms, Kiwis, Tahitians, Fijian and many others too.

Even Yanks are coming over (there was an ex-USMC Capt in 1 Bde)

Members of the ADF are required to attain citizenship within 3 months of being eligible to do so (3 months service). Maybe the UK could get more overseas recruits if they adopted this policy....

15. I'm amazed that citizenship isn't a given for anyone who's done say 4 years without too many fcuk ups.