UK Forces incident N of Basra

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Packard, Jun 24, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC newsflash says "several UK Forces injured in incident north of Basra".  :(
    Nothing further.

British troops wounded in Iraq

Eight British soldiers have been injured - two critically - in an incident near Basra.

The soldiers, understood to be from the 1st Battalion of the Parachute Regiment, came under Iraqi enemy fire just south of al-Amarah.

Captain Dennis Abbott, a military spokesman in Basra, said: "There was a hostile shooting incident in the UK area of operations. We can confirm there are eight casualties. Two are critically ill.

"Next of kin are currently being informed and therefore no further details can be given.

"This was an isolated incident and in no way reflects the general security situation across the UK area of operations."

British forces seized the southern city of Basra shortly after the outbreak of war in Iraq.

In recent weeks soldiers have been patrolling the streets in caps, rather than helmets, and have suffered no major attacks.

Army sources add the unit involved was the 1st Battalion of the Parachute Regiment which is in Iraq as part of 16 Air Assault Brigade.

Defence officials have been unable to confirm initial reports a British helicopter was ambushed.

Story filed: 14:22 Tuesday 24th June 2003
  3. 30 miles west of the Iranian border  , about 110 miles NNE of Basra , and right in the area of Iraqi hit and runs against US forces.....
  4. HLS

HLS Old-Salt

5. Terrible news.
  6. Oh God no.......

Heartfelt condolences to the families and colleagues of the dead.

Bosses, can we get something up on the front page please?

Eagle can you help?
  7. It would appear that the dead soldiers are not from 1 Para as first thought.

Condolences go out to all family and friends.
  8. Shocking news. My thoughts go out to all these guys families and friends.
  9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Guttet. Very very sad.  :'( :'( :'( :'(
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I suggest every one of you write to your MP and ask what they are doing about this? What questions are being asked? Get your family members to write too. This is disgusting. They effectively lied to us to go to war. The fact that SH should go is irrelevant. Six more brave men have died today to satisfy these lying Cnuts egos. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. They need to explain themselves. Writing to your MP may start something rolling. What other choice do we have?;action=display;num=1056098039

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I have just sent this email to my MP.

Dear Mr Ruane,

It is with deep concern that I write to you about the recent casualties in Iraq. I served in the British army for 13 years (who took part in Gulf War 1) and I would like to know what questions you are asking in parliament about the reasons for going to war in Iraq in light of the recent revelations about the lack of Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD). I ask this as it appears the government, which you are a part of, LIED to me.

The reason put forward for the attack was that Iraq had WMD that could be fired within 45 minutes and were a clear and present danger to the UK. This appears now not to be the case. The Foreign Secretary has today said the dossier was rubbish! So why did we go?

Today six men have lost their lives because of this subterfuge. Why? You Sir are my elected member of parliament and I request, no, DEMAND that you answer this question as to why British soldier’s lives have been sacrificed for a lie.

Yours in frustration
  11. :'(
    Deepest condolences to the families and friends of those who lost their lives, and a speedy recovery for the injured.  My thoughts are with you all.
  12. Bad, bad news.  Time to write to your MP.