UK Energy Policy: well on course to go properly tits up

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, Jun 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. But surely installing two wind turbines after having the locals object to them for ten years more than makes up for closing down power stations.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using ARRSE mobile app

2. probably be cheaper to hire a kosovan and buy some wire, batteries and a treadmill soon

3. Gathering solar panels and batteries as we speak ...

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Why are the Government in thrall to the idiots who peddle grossly inefficient, and ineffective, 'green energy'?

I presume that, as with Mr Tim Yeo, the answer is - as usual - follow the money.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Best of all, thanks to t'Interweb, you can watch it all happen in real time

U.K. National Grid status

(Good job all the win.... sorry subsidy farms are spinning away. Just look at them go!)

6. The public's insistence that centrally-generated electricity is the only kind isn't helping much, quite apart from the massive waste involved at the user end.

Nothing serious was done at any level to manage growth in demand: one side shouted "No nukes" and the other "More nukes" while neither showed any real interest in actual energy need rather than convenience or want.

I'm at the stage where I almost believe the only way to make people care about what they waste is to bin energy sector price regulation until people re-establish the habits of thrift, both in their personal and professional lives.

• Like Like x 2
  7. nuclear%u00252Bpower%u00252Byes%u00252Bplease.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Large scale generation of the capacity level we need just can't be done locally. Total electricity consumed in 2008 was 9.85 exajoules, based on demands of around 40Gw, peaking to 60Gw.

We're facing a majaor drama because New labour kept putting the decisions off for 13 years as all the choices were going to be unpopular with someone loud to whinge in public and the ConLimp abortation has f**ked around with policies that look pretty and right on but screw over the public and feather the nests of business types clever enough to con Student level morons who are supposedly in charge.

• Like Like x 1
  9. We had a smart meter back in the early 70's. Two of them actually;

My Dad shouting "turn that bloody light off/heating down/immersion heater off", every hour,
    The meter running out and finding we had no shillings for it.

Seemed to work quite well

10. Never said it could be. The fact remains that small-scale local and household systems reduce demand on CG supplies and consequently the total wastage in transmission; while also providing some resilience when central supplies fail.

The political failure, I'll grant with the caveat that political parties courting popularity don't push through measures that make them unpopular unless they've no choice or there's a big win in it elsewhere for them. When voters would rather leave their entertainment electronics on standby overnight or cut about their gaffes in shorts during winter than have a sensible energy policy then that's what governments will deliver right up to the point the wheels come off.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Thank Goodness Maggie had the foresight to reduce demand by killing off manufacturing industry.

12. I'll give her credit for trying, but we've caught up on some of the shortfall by doing pointless office jobs that involve 50 mile commutes twice daily. Schools are also doing their bit leaving the lights permanently on because the curtains are drawn to stop the armies of paedos peeking in while they watch old Blackadder 'n Roots episodes on lcd projectors to lern their herstory.

13. A couple of PFI schools cannot turn off lights because there are no light switches. JOHN WARE on the billion-pound 'racket' behind our schools and hospitals | Mail Online

(Apologies for the old Daily Wail link)

Shiny

14. WTF? No light switches?