Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Cold War Location Map

Is that NI? I'd been reluctant to add any NI locations as, whilst there were several cold war locations there (including US bases) most had been removed by the early 70's due to the troubles.
An NI map may be a good project, but as I never did a tour there I have very limited knowlege of the locations etc.

It does have the look about it doesn't it?

As an aside, do you know anything about this crowd?

ETA Home Page | Fortress Study Group

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I am fairly sure that several GLCM were planned to be deployed to Longmoor near Bordon in 1985 if the the balloon had ever gone up, having got a lift back from Greenham Common one Sunday night from a ginormous black Yank Sergeant in his gas guzzling, left hand drive car.

Three of us were walking from Greenham Common back to Bordon after the car died in the M4 Services (a wheel actually fell off), and Plod took us to the nearest military base. Naively, we rang up the Bordon guardroom asking for the duty wagon to come and pick us up, to be told after the laughter stopped that they weren't providing a taxi service. So it was shanks' pony to Basingstoke hope we were in time for the milk train to Liss; about ten miles' walk, and then the huge Merkin-mobile hove into view and a southern drawl inquired "You boys need a lift?" We piled in, and after each being given a frosty cold Budweiser from the huge beer cooler on the back seat told him our tale of woe. We'd originally asked for a lift to Basingstoke but as soon as he heard we were based at Bordon, he offered to drive us all the way there, he knew the area from "Doin' recon on launch sites". So there you go.

I've always been treated well by the Cousins.

They certainly used it as a training site on occasion:

Hansard from 1984:
0EBF95FC-2FA5-4AE5-83A3-D928E9973985.jpeg

Yokel

LE
What program do you need to view a .kmz file? Windows cannot find a suitable application on my machine.

Last edited:
Google Earth also has the advantage of you being able to talke the sattelite images back in time, which helps greatly as many locations have been demolished or built over since 2000, but you can see them if you move the slider back on any pinned locations.

Latest Threads