Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Cold War Location Map

Following on from my cold war West Germany map, I’ve been working on a UK version and trying to add everything I can that was operational in the UK at the end of 1989.
This has been slightly hampered by my spending much longer overseas than in the UK back then and not knowing much about the UK militarily, and it has been rather a revelation.
I started off by labelling up all the garrisons (I’m not doing individual barracks in there as many have been merged, demolished or even renamed) then going for the low hanging fruit such as RAF airfields. This was then followed by the Royal Navy and, WOW! Did they ever have a lot more establishments than I expected!
I started to add some ROC posts, but after finding a Google Maps where someone has already done this I though 'bugger that!'. There are a LOT!! I am going to add their sector HQ's and other centre's though.

I’ve just finished last week by adding as many of the NATO Ace High comms sites as possible. Not got them all yet as the system was dismantled right at the very end of the cold war as better and more affordable technologies came online, and some sites were demolished as some were simply reused for conventional masts.
As some of you will note, some locations and site names may be off/wrong, this is primarily down to a lack of information on these places and the urban exploration sites such as Subterranea Britannica have been of great help, especially when locating Regional Seats of Government (RSG’s) and other bunkers. Any mistakes are entirely my own, and yes, it is a little messy so far and I will get around to sorting that out in due course.

If any of you can see anywhere I have missed out such as non-garrison barracks, or know of a new category I can add please let me know.
Oh, and all of the locations I’ve added are from publicly available sources including the MoD (I’ve actually left out several locations which would not be helpful to add).
Enjoy!

*Unzip the attached .kmz file and use Google Earth Pro (free) to see the locations.

ETA: You can now download this file as it gets updated from here - Cold War UK

Attachments

• UK Cold War.zip
    45.3 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
No longer operational, but it was in 1989
Ta, getting info on the smaller/more discrete US bases is quite hard. One of the problems with the internet is that things like this only appear in a few places and if you don't know where to look, or the specific search terms, then they can be easily overlooked.

Ta, getting info on the smaller/more discrete US bases is quite hard. One of the problems with the internet is that things like this only appear in a few places and if you don't know where to look, or the specific search terms, then they can be easily overlooked.
Are you including ROF's? I think Bishopton was still in operation in '89, albeit in a limited way.

Are you including ROF's? I think Bishopton was still in operation in '89, albeit in a limited way.
I will be doing ROF's and have already added Chorley (we used to call it ROF Euxton here), Radway Green and RSAF Enfield.

You can see my old house on the map linked to Craigiehall.

I've added those two new loactions and you can now download the map file from here - Cold War UK
This is the file that will get updated.
On another note, there is a large building at the far east end of Old Sarum airfield that I'm sure used to be a HQ (Land?) at the end of the cold war. If anyone can let me know what it was it would be much appreciated.

oldsarum.JPG

Last edited:

Rooper

War Hero
UK Land was in Erskine Barracks about 6km West of the centre of your screenshot (Fugglestone St Peter).

No idea what the building is that you’re talking about but you might find some assistance here

I've added those two new loactions and you can now downlaod the map file from here - Cold War UK
On antoerh note, there is a large building at the far east end of Old Sarum airfield that I'm sure used to be a HQ (Land?) at the end of the cold war. If anyone can let me know what it was it would be much appreciated.

View attachment 519679
Throgmorton Hall?

Former officers mess from RAF Old Sarum or when the RAC parachute Squadron were there

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What about the various listening stations?
Will need to check when Brora closed.
It was an outpost of GCHQ as was Hawklaw in Fife

Reminder/tip that if you go into 'view' tab at the top of Google earth Pro, you can click on 'historical imagery', allowing you to track back through older aerial imagery, right back to WW2 in some areas

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Late 1980s I believe. I think before the fall of the Berlin Wall etc. Still ex-GCHQ houses in the village.

Walked around it many times, a most unassuming building these days.

I've added those two new loactions and you can now download the map file from here - Cold War UK
On another note, there is a large building at the far east end of Old Sarum airfield that I'm sure used to be a HQ (Land?) at the end of the cold war. If anyone can let me know what it was it would be much appreciated.

View attachment 519679
HQ UKLF was primarily located at Erskine Barracks in Wilton, to the west of Salisbury, but also maintained some office space for some staff branches at Old Sarum. These offices were located in the "three sides of a square" blockin the centre of the image just off the Portway to the NE of Salisbury. I do remember going there in the early 80s for some reason, but I can't remember why. Probably to receive some sort of bollocking. I don't think that the UKLF offices had any sort of barracks name.

There was a TA Centre about a mile down the Portway, nearer to where it joins the A345. Royal Wessex Yeomanry were there.

I think both locations have been redeveloped as flats/maisonettes, but I haven't been there for yonks now.

Reminder/tip that if you go into 'view' tab at the top of Google earth Pro, you can click on 'historical imagery', allowing you to track back through older aerial imagery, right back to WW2 in some areas
A friend of mine got torn a new one for using this function in a multi-national brief. An enraged Col thought they'd used restricted Geoviewer imagery and the 'offender' came very, very close to court martial for using open source pics. Gunners should probably be kept yanking lanyards as they're obviously easily confused with information, tech, J2, open source etc.

Latest Threads