UK: Civilian ships must be armed against pirates

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blogg, Oct 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why are they taking the pirates prisoner??? Hang them or shoot them surely!?!
  2. Is it not the job of the Royal Navy to protect the interests of British shipping on the high seas?

Or is there not enough cash..

Sad days
  3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Merchant ships always used to have a small armoury on board. One that I was on had 4 rifles and 6 pistols. Ok, not much, but there wasn't such a problem with pirates then as there is now.
    No real reason they can't have firearms, once outside three/six mile limit, then local firearms laws don't apply.

I stand ready to be advised otherwise though.
  4. Indeedy! I believe that the RNR have been tasked with this kind of work in recent years.
  5. Lets all club together, buy a boat and create our own company to provide protection for merchant ships! We can call it Loadsa Money Ltd.
  6. Are there any UK ships left to arm? When I fisrt went to sea in the early '70's there were over 2,000 probably not more than a couple of hundred now and a lot of those small coasters, offshore vessels and ferries
  8. Whilst UK laws might no apply what about other country's territorial water that the ship passes through or ports they call into? Wouldn't local laws come into affect and stop you carrying stuff like that? I ask as I have absolutely no clue about the legalities of stuff like this.
  9. Good. Frankly if you're going to go into Pirate infested seas with nothing but a few condoms for the next port-of-call then you deserve to get whatever you have coming to you.
  10. old_fat_and_hairy

I think the same laws as are used in bonded cargo apply. The arms were sealed in a cabinet until needed, or ship had left territorial waters, but it was 1961 and I've been asleep since then
  11. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Re:- RN and lack of anti piracy, I think it was Ancient Mariner that wrote an extremely good post in the thread about the Somali's that had "aquired" a few Ukraine surpluss T-72s. Basically it was down the the risk of pirates claiming asylum on us...
  12. old_fat_and_hairy

Wouldn't have been a bad idea. Could have raised another armoured regiment. 'The 4th Regiment of Skinnies'
  13. As far as I recall, British registered merchant shipping is entitled to carry a small armoury.
    Unless we have done away with that along with all other forms of common sense of late?

Perhaps its time for a few commercially operated Q-Ships. Would soon sort the problem out.