UK Citizen Living Overseas.

Hello Everyone,

So I applied to join as a regular in January and come March found my application had been rejected after being contacted to provide passport copies and information regarding the fact I live in the UAE.

The recruitment office/call centre didn’t really provide much information as to why it was rejected. Wondering if anyone would have any ideas of previous experience of this happening to themselves.

Thanks in advance

May well be because your living outside of the Mainland UK - did your application state that you were a Full UK Citizen and the reason for why you were living outside ?

Yeah, explained I was a Full UK citizen, my type of work and duration. I have been here 3 years and due to return to the UK beginning of December 18. As far as I was aware you should have no issues about previous residency overseas providing you are a Full UK citizen. Maybe I’m wrong?

This question is beginning to puzzle me. I have a sprog who will probably want to join up so I have been nudged by some of the '5 year residency' comments to have a look at the requirements.

If I do what I was taught to do at law school follow the flow chart and read what is written I find that:

A. I'M A BRITISH CITIZEN
As a British Citizen, British Subject under the Nationality Act 1981 or British Protected Person, you're able to apply to join the Army.

Pretty straightforward. British citizen and you can apply. No mention of background checks, though it is natural that these will be done and in most cases it is possible to obtain a police records background check certificate from the country of residence if you are outside the UK.

Then we hear about the 5 year residency and requirement for x number of days a year to be present in the UK. Which leads us to:

B. JOINING FROM THE COMMONWEALTH
For most roles, you must have lived in the UK for at least 5 years. You must not have been away from the UK for 180 days in a row during this 5 year residency.

The only place I have found anything that looks like a residency rule with residency requirements is this bit, above, under the section for Commonwealth applicants. People not born in the UK, who have spent most of their life outside the UK. It is similar to the requirements for gaining citizenship in that you can't just pop into the country for a day here or there, you need to demonstrate residency.

If anyone has any comments based on actual written requirements something other than the residency/nationality requirements listed on the official MoD website which I have quoted above I would be interested. As stated my sprog will probably want to join in a few years and from the 5 year rule that is being tossed around even if he, a British citizen, spends three years at a UK university he would not be entitled to join. I personally think people are not doing joined up reading of the requirements.

Yeah that’s what I have read but maybe there is some red tape behind it. Police clearance certificates are easy to get here so I wouldn’t imagine that to be a problem if they requested it. We shall see, I’m back for a flying visit in August so will try and head to an AFCO whilst there as I can’t be dealing with that call centre much longer before my sanity leaves me.

Yeah that’s what I have read but maybe there is some red tape behind it. Police clearance certificates are easy to get here so I wouldn’t imagine that to be a problem if they requested it. We shall see, I’m back for a flying visit in August so will try and head to an AFCO whilst there as I can’t be dealing with that call centre much longer before my sanity leaves me.
Are you applying for a role that requires high-end vetting? That could be the problem if you’re looking to join the Int Corps or one of the more esoteric trades in Royal Signals, for example.

Mate, red tape means: It is written.

Someone needs to be able to point at paragraph and section. They cannot just make it up as they go along. The fact that you are a British citizen should not preclude you from serving in the Armed Forces because work has taken you out of the country.

I would do what a friend of mine did when he was given the run around when he was trying to re-enlist. He wrote to the relevant department in the MoD and it was sorted by tea time [not quite that quick, but you get the idea].

It was an application for the Infantry.

Yeah I’m not sure the move over to using a civilian third party to control the recruitment has helped at all, black and white had quickly turned to grey.

I may be wide of the mark here, so do not take this as gospel: I believe that you have to have lived in the UK for the previous two years to qualify for security clearance.

Not sure if the EU counts as different but a lad here has just joined up (about 8 months or so ago in the RE). His parents have lived here in Spain for 9 years and have not taken out Spanish citizenship, just residency.
The lad was in school here for all his secondary school education and also applied from here. He had to go back to UK for an interview but was accepted with no dramas.
Only costs his parents had was getting his medical records and "certificate of good citizenship (no criminal records) translated into English.

For SC, If I remember correctly, you have had to have lived for 8 out of the last ten years. The exception being overseas on Crown Service, military or Diplomatic.

Although I might be mixing that up with my Police Vetting.

Are you applying for a role that requires high-end vetting? That could be the problem if you’re looking to join the Int Corps or one of the more esoteric trades in Royal Signals, for example.
Having lived in Italy from the age of 5, until we sent him to school in the UK for sixth form and university, my son was told that for Int he had to have 10 years' continuous residence in the UK.
All other options were 5 years' continuous residence. OTC was ok, though.
Crapita also told him there would be problems contacting his Italian referee.
Said referee had known my son since birth, and the family have known his family since he was MA, and a few years' later DA in London.
His last 3 postings were CDS, Chairman European Defence Committe and personal defence adviser to Presidents Ciampi then Napoletano. He was effectively running the President's outer office when my son put in his application.
Difficult to find?

So I have been in contact with the AFCO. There is no criteria for a UK citizen who has lived overseas. Wether this is a recent change I am not sure but my application is going ahead and my F2F meeting will be soon. Wish me luck, will keep the thread updated in due course.

I'm not sure how much this applies to the forces, however I know the British government count anybody having lived abroad for more than 3 years as no longer resident in the UK. This places you firmly into the same camp as commonwealth citizens. Unlike the majority of other countries, having a British passport does in no way automatically qualify you for the same rights as someone who has spent their whole lives in the UK.

Lovely note, the conservatives are in the process of making it harder for non British passport holders to live in the UK, even if they have spent the majority of their lives here, thus screwing over everyone!

On that note, there are ways around it, what you need to do is prove that your are 'ordinarily resident' in the UK, ie if you didn't have a job abroad, you would be living in the UK. For you mate that should be easy, 3 years in the UAE shouldn't affect too much. Also I believe the UAE have rules against staying in the country without employment (hence your resident permit) that will also help prove you haven't just buggered off to not pay tax, despite the fact you definitely did. Having family in the UK will help, and moving back will definitely help. My application was rejected outright when I applied from abroad.

Take everything with a pinch of salt, I don't know the ins and outs of their system, but I'm about a month away from starting having been an expat for 17 years. Apart from an extra terrorism check on my family, who also live abroad, I have had no issues, so sure you will be fine.

edit: My application is for regular soldier. I know officers and int have much stricter residency requirements. But give the 'ordinarily resident' thing a try, don't bother settling for something you don't want to do either. May as well wait a few years and apply later.