UK Carrier Strike Group's HMS Queen Elizabeth Hosts Senior Visitors from NATO

Yokel

LE
The UK Carrier Strike Group is NATO’s first 5th generation carrier strike capability and marks a step change in military technology, interoperability and integration. It demonstrates the UK’s unwavering commitment to NATO and to the safety and security of our Euro-Atlantic home.

Not forgetting the ASW capability that will be a big part of the NATO role.

Yokel

LE
Flight International - How CSG21 deployment proved UK’s reborn carrier strike credentials

After more than a decade without fixed-wing maritime aviation on the front line, the Royal Navy (RN) and Royal Air Force (RAF) are close to completing the first operational outing for the UK’s new “fifth-generation” carrier strike capability.

Led by the 65,000t aircraft carrier and fleet flagship HMS Queen Elizabeth, the six-and-a-half month CSG21 deployment to the Indo-Pacific region has taken a multinational force halfway round the world, by way of the Atlantic, Mediterranean, Suez and the Indian Ocean....

Perhaps someone can post this article on the CVF and Carrier Strike thread for me?

@instinct
@Not a Boffin
@RCT(V)
@ThunderBox
@Dunservin

In particular:

“It marks the end of a challenging decade, at the beginning of which we retired the old Invincible-class carriers and the [BAE Systems] Harriers that served us so well. At the same time, we were doubling down on a new carrier capability, and we as the navy had to learn and understand what that meant. That forced us to look really closely at what it was we would want to develop from a sovereign UK perspective.”

REGENERATING POWERS

Rebuilding and regenerating carrier capability has demanded that the RN and RAF put old enmities to one side. It has also hinged on the assistance provided by key allies, acknowledges Connell.

“The French have been a part of that, yes, but particularly the US Navy and the US Marine Corps [USMC]. The extent to which our partners across the Atlantic have helped us on this journey has been incredible,” he says.

Nice trip out at a huge cost to NATO. For what returns ? It’s a aircraft carrier , well minus one. NATO is counting the penny's and cents these days but can spunk up a several thousand for a photo op?

Just how stupid the managers are was shown to me a few years ago.

Teaching a system , let’s call it Carrier Arrest Response. Or as a TLA - CAR.

It is in reality a network system controlled by several servers with virtual machines as well as some hardware .

Had a visit from the head sheds from NATO . Showing them the 19” rack full of hardware .

”This is the CAR” I say .

One says .

“OH , that’s why I wondered why we need a CAR at a cost of 100.000 euros , I thought it was a lot for a car!”

‘No fuccing clue but getting a nice pay packet .

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
Flight International - How CSG21 deployment proved UK’s reborn carrier strike credentials

After more than a decade without fixed-wing maritime aviation on the front line, the Royal Navy (RN) and Royal Air Force (RAF) are close to completing the first operational outing for the UK’s new “fifth-generation” carrier strike capability.

Led by the 65,000t aircraft carrier and fleet flagship HMS Queen Elizabeth, the six-and-a-half month CSG21 deployment to the Indo-Pacific region has taken a multinational force halfway round the world, by way of the Atlantic, Mediterranean, Suez and the Indian Ocean....

Perhaps someone can post this article on the CVF and Carrier Strike thread for me?

@instinct
@Not a Boffin
@RCT(V)
@ThunderBox
@Dunservin

In particular:

“It marks the end of a challenging decade, at the beginning of which we retired the old Invincible-class carriers and the [BAE Systems] Harriers that served us so well. At the same time, we were doubling down on a new carrier capability, and we as the navy had to learn and understand what that meant. That forced us to look really closely at what it was we would want to develop from a sovereign UK perspective.”

REGENERATING POWERS

Rebuilding and regenerating carrier capability has demanded that the RN and RAF put old enmities to one side. It has also hinged on the assistance provided by key allies, acknowledges Connell.

“The French have been a part of that, yes, but particularly the US Navy and the US Marine Corps [USMC]. The extent to which our partners across the Atlantic have helped us on this journey has been incredible,” he says.

Also available as PDF - see here - also the attachment,

Attachments

• F-35Bs CSG21 Flight International Dec 2021 pp4 (1).pdf
    592.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Yokel

LE
Nice trip out at a huge cost to NATO. For what returns ? It’s a aircraft carrier , well minus one. NATO is counting the penny's and cents these days but can spunk up a several thousand for a photo op?

Just how stupid the managers are was shown to me a few years ago.

Teaching a system , let’s call it Carrier Arrest Response. Or as a TLA - CAR.

It is in reality a network system controlled by several servers with virtual machines as well as some hardware .

Had a visit from the head sheds from NATO . Showing them the 19” rack full of hardware .

”This is the CAR” I say .

One says .

“OH , that’s why I wondered why we need a CAR at a cost of 100.000 euros , I thought it was a lot for a car!”

‘No fuccing clue but getting a nice pay packet .

Were you drinking when you wrote that?

In December (not sure of the exact date - @jrwlynch might know) HMS Prince of Wales will assume the role of the flagship of the maritime component of the NATO Response Force. I wonder if the visit was related that that, and not just case of getting a photo?

Were you drinking when you wrote that?

In December (not sure of the exact date - @jrwlynch might know) HMS Prince of Wales will assume the role of the flagship of the maritime component of the NATO Response Force. I wonder if the visit was related that that, and not just case of getting a photo?
Does it have any aircraft on it ?

NATO is a paper tiger.

Yokel

LE
Does it have any aircraft on it ?

NATO is a paper tiger.

HMS Prince of Wales? No, as she is in port - where carriers usually do not have aircraft onboard. She did not so long ago though - during a period of operational training.

As for HMS Queen Elizabeth and CSG21, which has included activity in the NATO theatre, starting with the Steadfast Defender 21 exercise of the coast of Portugal. you might have missed things like:

No not missed it . Nice pictures . I am sure Tzar Putin must be loosing sleep over the photo ops.

While he has a bigger army then we had in Germany , ready to walk over Ukraine.

Took him and his army about 3 weeks to get there . NATO at least 120 days , if the politicians agree.

Liked Williams post , shame all the planes I saw were American.

UK had 8 now 7 . Putin must be shitting , oh laffing himself to bed.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
NATO does have the 'four thirties' initiative - within thirty days NATO will be able to mount a force within thirty days that will include thirty major warships (not sure how that is defined), thirty squadrons of combat aircraft (presumably not including transports/tankers/etc), and thirty battalions of mechanised infantry (and supporting elements).

But the politicians need to agree to deployment.

As for Putin, he will know that NATO depends on transatlantic reinforcement and that the carrier group is the best way of countering interdiction attempts.