UK car plant at risk of closure LDV?

tothepubandbeyond said:
scarletto said:
dante242 said:
"A UK car plant that directly and indirectly employs more than 6,000 people may be forced to close within days, a trade union leader has warned."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7901092.stm

......anyone got any idea who and where it is ?
Hopefully all of them
That is one of the most moronic comments I have ever heard. With the times ahead of us it is the manufacturing base of our economy that has the most potential for stabilising our economy and not those idiots in the city, so why the hell would you hope that these plants disapear?
As to the origanal topic I belive that it will be the BMW plant that is set to close.
when my factory and job (and probably my house soon)went with the loss of a 1000, workers and associated workers, did you give a feck??????? No you didnt, didnt see no mass rallys, no unions, no government help, so pardon me for not crying with you.

CharlieBubbles said:
kes1 said:
Nissan in Sunderland are chopping more jobs that the BMW plant are, not sure what the difference in original size of workforce was, but I would have thought the Nissan plant was more likely than the BMW one.
WHO is in the deeper SH1TE Germany of Japan?
Nissan is owned by Renault. The Sunderland plant has been a subsidy pit all along. Just like when they conned the government into a £40million grant to produce the new Micra here instead of France, it was just one of many scams to get taxpayers money. Renault might shut it to save French jobs.

Mini, genuinely good sales, about the best placed to survive in the UK

Vauxhall at Ellesmere Port is the likely candidate, GM has already done the dirty on SAAB this week, many of the components come from Opel plants in Germany so they can close Ellesmere Port but if they close any of their German plants it affects production everywhere else.

Land Rover and Jaguar are scraping by on export sales of Land Rover so probably not them.

CharlieBubbles said:
kes1 said:
CharlieBubbles said:
kes1 said:
Nissan in Sunderland are chopping more jobs that the BMW plant are, not sure what the difference in original size of workforce was, but I would have thought the Nissan plant was more likely than the BMW one.
WHO is in the deeper SH1TE Germany of Japan?
Or rather (and being quite cynical here) who does the Goverment want to keep on side?
NOT the British Worker for British Jobs, that's for sure, or they would have shot the bankers and forgotten to install the FSA!
Steady on there, you'll be underlining next :wink:

If you look at BMW's website

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/about/corp/sustainability/0,,1364___,00.html

It would appear that the 6,000 figure correlates neatly with Woodley's claim, although if (big if) he is referring to BMW, you'd assume that not all 6,000 would go - how many Rolls workers depend upon Mini sales?

What you definitely get going by implying it's BMW, though, is the heart rate of the three Labour MPs with BMW factories in their constituencies. Andrew Smith, the MP with Cowley in his constituency has a majority of less than 1,000 and the two MPs who'd be affected by the loss of the Swindon plant might also be twiching at the thought (Michael Wills, the Swindon North MP in particular), since they have majorities of about 1,400 and 2,500 respectively.

And if (again caveated) Woodley does want us and the MPs to think that he may be talking about BMW, I wonder if the fact that Andrew Smith and Michael Wills are both good friends with the PM, who just might apply a bit of pressure in favour of a bail-out, might have crossed his mind...?

scarletto said:
tothepubandbeyond said:
scarletto said:
dante242 said:
"A UK car plant that directly and indirectly employs more than 6,000 people may be forced to close within days, a trade union leader has warned."

Hopefully all of them
That is one of the most moronic comments I have ever heard. With the times ahead of us it is the manufacturing base of our economy that has the most potential for stabilising our economy and not those idiots in the city, so why the hell would you hope that these plants disapear?
As to the origanal topic I belive that it will be the BMW plant that is set to close.
when my factory and job (and probably my house soon)went with the loss of a 1000, workers and associated workers, did you give a feck??????? No you didnt, didnt see no mass rallys, no unions, no government help, so pardon me for not crying with you.
My point is I don't want any of the UK manufacturing base to disapear, why exactly are you pissed off at the car manufacturers and their workers because the government didn't assist your industry. It's stupid to have a go at another industry for trying to protect thier jobs, something that you no doubt wish your factory had done. As for giving a 'Feck' I don't know whether I gave a feck unless I know where you worked. I do sympethise with you about your situation and hope you get back on your feet.

tothepubandbeyond said:
scarletto said:
tothepubandbeyond said:
scarletto said:
dante242 said:

Hopefully all of them
My point is I don't want any of the UK manufacturing base to disapear, why exactly are you pissed off at the car manufacturers and their workers because the government didn't assist your industry. It's stupid to have a go at another industry for trying to protect thier jobs, something that you no doubt wish your factory had done. As for giving a 'Feck' I don't know whether I gave a feck unless I know where you worked. I do sympethise with you about your situation and hope you get back on your feet.
My point is, why are they so special, the government gave lip service to woolworths staff, my own manufacturing firm and others, yet they will prop up the car manufacturers to do what??? Save the jobs is admirable, not a problem with that.

However produce more cars, to say, like sit in a field with the 1000 hondas just down the round from me, which havent moved for 6 months. No ones buying dead stock, how many cars do they keep on producing just to rust away??

These car companies certainly havent looked at say producing cheap affordable cars, and i mean cheap, nope still in some cases producing high end cars. Skilled workforce, im skilled, but out there it dont mean a thing.

Why not retrain these workers to manufacture something else, a revamp of our transport trams/buses, instead of buying from germany etc?

Sorry for the car workers, for the car firms and their government helpers nope, maybe i am bitter and twisted, but at the moment im wondering where the help was last year for us, during the time of milk and honey :x

scarletto said:
tothepubandbeyond said:
scarletto said:
tothepubandbeyond said:
scarletto said:
dante242 said:

Hopefully all of them
My point is, why are they so special, the government gave lip service to woolworths staff, my own manufacturing firm and others, yet they will prop up the car manufacturers to do what??? Save the jobs is admirable, not a problem with that.

However produce more cars, to say, like sit in a field with the 1000 hondas just down the round from me, which havent moved for 6 months. No ones buying dead stock, how many cars do they keep on producing just to rust away??

These car companies certainly havent looked at say producing cheap affordable cars, and i mean cheap, nope still in some cases producing high end cars. Skilled workforce, im skilled, but out there it dont mean a thing.

Why not retrain these workers to manufacture something else, a revamp of our transport trams/buses, instead of buying from germany etc?

Sorry for the car workers, for the car firms and their government helpers nope, maybe i am bitter and twisted, but at the moment im wondering where the help was last year for us, during the time of milk and honey :x
In comparison to the banks, none of the manufacturing base has recieved anywhere near as much help as they need. As for the car companies, there are no independent British car companies, so all of the decisions are not made with British intrests at heart, and so the foreign companies prefer to let workers go rather that re-tool our factories (which, TBH has a pretty minimal cost). At the end of the day the government has allowed the UK skills base to fade during the service industry boom and the nation is now paying the price. I agree with your points about the cheaper cars and switching products again though it is the foriegn companies making the decisions and until we manage to get an independent capability in this sector we will continue to suffer.

"until we manage to get an independent capability in this sector we will continue to suffer. "

That is the nub......

Archimedes said:
If you look at BMW's website

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/about/corp/sustainability/0,,1364___,00.html

It would appear that the 6,000 figure correlates neatly with Woodley's claim, although if (big if) he is referring to BMW, you'd assume that not all 6,000 would go - how many Rolls workers depend upon Mini sales?

What you definitely get going by implying it's BMW, though, is the heart rate of the three Labour MPs with BMW factories in their constituencies. Andrew Smith, the MP with Cowley in his constituency has a majority of less than 1,000 and the two MPs who'd be affected by the loss of the Swindon plant might also be twiching at the thought (Michael Wills, the Swindon North MP in particular), since they have majorities of about 1,400 and 2,500 respectively.

And if (again caveated) Woodley does want us and the MPs to think that he may be talking about BMW, I wonder if the fact that Andrew Smith and Michael Wills are both good friends with the PM, who just might apply a bit of pressure in favour of a bail-out, might have crossed his mind...?
850 contractors were finished at Cowley on Monday with an hours notice. 150 jobs were also moved from Swindon to Cowley

royalairfarce said:
Honda in Swindon on four months shutdown as well. Employs 4000 odd people.
Mother In Law works for Honda, at present its only the manufacturing side of the plant thats affected, the office staff are still working standard hours but they are also waiting to be told to take some gardening leave......

Around where I live in Swindon, the number of houses suddenly going up for sale is increasing but they are still trying to sell them for 2006/2007 prices....

CharlieBubbles said:
ukdaytona said:
but they are still trying to sell them for 2006/2007 prices....
I take it they have been sniffing the solvant, or should that be INsolvant??
No idea but some of the developers are still building big 4 and 5 bed houses instead of 2 and 3 bed houses that are actually needed......

What amazes me is that the dealers who are unable to shift cars put the prices up on the ones on the forecourt to compensate - nice thinking but does it put more people off? We want a new car and have seen a 2yr old Black Navara Aventura for 10000 but the missus won't commit but to the 'recession'. The thing is it doesn't affect me as my Mortgagage is down, Diesel cheaper, food cheaper and the MOB is hardly going to lay me off due to lack of business at the moment!

Jagaur/Land Rover perhaps because their new owner is in the shite:

Tata Group says needs to rationalise operations

MUMBAI (Reuters) - India's sprawling Tata Group will rationalise its operations and its 96 companies have to find a way to sustain themselves through a once-in-a-lifetime downturn, chairman Ratan Tata said in an interview shown on Friday.

Tata said he hoped to return the Jagaur and Land Rover brands to their former glory but the global downturn had made that difficult, and said the long-delayed Nano car, slated to be the world's cheapest, would be a symbol of Indian pride.

"What I have said is it is a difficult time, probably the most difficult time most of us have had in our lives, and we need to have the spirit to face up, to adapt to the hardship undoubtedly, and to rationalise our operations so that we can sustain ourselves through this difficult period,"

http://uk.reuters.com/article/motoringAutoNews/idUKIndia-38121520090220

ugly

LE
Thats GM playing politics especially after the Scousers and Luton plants took so many hits last year!