UK car plant at risk of closure LDV?

#1
"A UK car plant that directly and indirectly employs more than 6,000 people may be forced to close within days, a trade union leader has warned."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7901092.stm

......anyone got any idea who and where it is ?
 
#3
Well we own none of them.....and they are krap (and expensive) :D
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#4
My money is on Mini at Cowley, a BMW plant that they didnt really want!
 
#5
Why keep producing cars, when their are 1000s sitting in fields waiting for delivery, to car showrooms, which aint selling many at all. Stop production of cars (not spares) for a year or two. Retrain car workers to produce something else for that time. So say they are muliti-skilled, then in a year or whatever restart car manafacturing.
 
#7
Could be any of them, it could be none, the union are playing a game to try and get the government to promise money to the motor industry, but i think they're a bit late to the party and not even this type of blackmail will get the government to put money into this industry.
 
#8
Why give money to the car industry, what are they going to do with it; surely not keep building cars that they cant sell. Perhaps they need the money to buy more fields to keep the extra cars they build in?
 
#9
Argee2007 said:
Could be any of them, it could be none, the union are playing a game to try and get the government to promise money to the motor industry, but i think they're a bit late to the party and not even this type of blackmail will get the government to put money into this industry.
Why confine their flushing money away to the aviation industry - they keep bailing out Westlands after all... :roll:
 
#12
Argee2007 said:
CharlieBubbles said:
ugly said:
My money is on Mini at Cowley, a BMW plant that they didnt really want!
Or is that a bit of Insider Wishful thinking?

Nah, i think Charlies right, they were in the news earlier in the week regarding the troubles.
Nissan in Sunderland are chopping more jobs that the BMW plant are, not sure what the difference in original size of workforce was, but I would have thought the Nissan plant was more likely than the BMW one.
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#13
Woodley is an old time rabble rouser ala Scargill or Red Robbo
Its only a few weeks ago that he was screaming British jobs for British workers now he's off on one because BMW (German) GM (USA) & Ford (USA) are laying off foreign workers I.E. UK to protect their own workforce
It's another blow for Labour because not only do they lose bilions in tax they are funded by Woodley in his gang to about 80p in every pound donated to Labour

He'll manufacture something before long to get all the unions out for a winter of discontent and still pin the blame on Thatcher
 
#14
scarletto said:
Why keep producing cars, when their are 1000s sitting in fields waiting for delivery, to car showrooms, which aint selling many at all. Stop production of cars (not spares) for a year or two. Retrain car workers to produce something else for that time. So say they are muliti-skilled, then in a year or whatever restart car manafacturing.
And I bet you are one of those clowns who will mourn Thatcher when she croaks. Quick clue - Cost of re-tooling/design.
 
#15
kes1 said:
Nissan in Sunderland are chopping more jobs that the BMW plant are, not sure what the difference in original size of workforce was, but I would have thought the Nissan plant was more likely than the BMW one.
WHO is in the deeper SH1TE Germany of Japan?
 
#16
scarletto said:
dante242 said:
"A UK car plant that directly and indirectly employs more than 6,000 people may be forced to close within days, a trade union leader has warned."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7901092.stm

......anyone got any idea who and where it is ?
Hopefully all of them
That is one of the most moronic comments I have ever heard. With the times ahead of us it is the manufacturing base of our economy that has the most potential for stabilising our economy and not those idiots in the city, so why the hell would you hope that these plants disapear?
As to the origanal topic I belive that it will be the BMW plant that is set to close.
 
#17
tangosix said:
Hello,

Vauxhall Ellesmere Port,probably.


tangosix.
My brother in law works there and he reckons they're ok. They produce the Astra which is a top seller still and they just voluntarily reduced their hours to avoid redundancies.
Still he could be wrong though.
 
#18
Big debate/discussion a couple of days ago about GM's desperation on World Service. Looking to shed over 20,000 jobs in Europe and Germans are kicking off as are the Belgians. Look out Ellesmere!

3 day week in the UK! Shut down for 4 months! When are the binmen and the grave diggers coming out?

Aston Martin: Extended Christmas shutdown and 600 redundancies. Three-day week

Bentley: Three-day week in October and longer Christmas break. Closing Crewe plant for seven weeks from March. February announced 220 job losses and 10% pay cut.

GM (Vauxhall): Extended Christmas closure and 40-day shutdown

Honda: Four-month shutdown between February and May

Jaguar Land Rover: Series of one-day shutdowns and production cuts late 2008 plus 1,000 redundancies planned

Mini: Christmas shutdown extended by 10 days. 300 agency staff let go and one week shutdown planned for February. From March, plant will run five days per week, from seven, and a further 850 jobs to go.

Nissan: Two-week shutdown late last year and 1,200 redundancies. One shift on each line stopped until April 2009.

Toyota: One of the night shifts suspended. Four non production weeks planned

Ford: 850 jobs to go by May
 
#19
CharlieBubbles said:
kes1 said:
Nissan in Sunderland are chopping more jobs that the BMW plant are, not sure what the difference in original size of workforce was, but I would have thought the Nissan plant was more likely than the BMW one.
WHO is in the deeper SH1TE Germany of Japan?
Or rather (and being quite cynical here) who does the Goverment want to keep on side?
 
#20
kes1 said:
CharlieBubbles said:
kes1 said:
Nissan in Sunderland are chopping more jobs that the BMW plant are, not sure what the difference in original size of workforce was, but I would have thought the Nissan plant was more likely than the BMW one.
WHO is in the deeper SH1TE Germany of Japan?
Or rather (and being quite cynical here) who does the Goverment want to keep on side?
NOT the British Worker for British Jobs, that's for sure, or they would have shot the bankers and forgotten to install the FSA!
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top