UK car plant at risk of closure LDV?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dante242, Feb 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "A UK car plant that directly and indirectly employs more than 6,000 people may be forced to close within days, a trade union leader has warned."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7901092.stm

......anyone got any idea who and where it is ?

2. Hopefully all of them

3. Well we own none of them.....and they are krap (and expensive) :D

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

My money is on Mini at Cowley, a BMW plant that they didnt really want!

5. Why keep producing cars, when their are 1000s sitting in fields waiting for delivery, to car showrooms, which aint selling many at all. Stop production of cars (not spares) for a year or two. Retrain car workers to produce something else for that time. So say they are muliti-skilled, then in a year or whatever restart car manafacturing.

6. Hello,

Vauxhall Ellesmere Port,probably.

tangosix.

7. Could be any of them, it could be none, the union are playing a game to try and get the government to promise money to the motor industry, but i think they're a bit late to the party and not even this type of blackmail will get the government to put money into this industry.

8. Why give money to the car industry, what are they going to do with it; surely not keep building cars that they cant sell. Perhaps they need the money to buy more fields to keep the extra cars they build in?

9. Why confine their flushing money away to the aviation industry - they keep bailing out Westlands after all... :roll:

10. Or is that a bit of Insider Wishful thinking?

11. Nah, i think Charlies right, they were in the news earlier in the week regarding the troubles.

12. Nissan in Sunderland are chopping more jobs that the BMW plant are, not sure what the difference in original size of workforce was, but I would have thought the Nissan plant was more likely than the BMW one.

13. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Woodley is an old time rabble rouser ala Scargill or Red Robbo
    Its only a few weeks ago that he was screaming British jobs for British workers now he's off on one because BMW (German) GM (USA) & Ford (USA) are laying off foreign workers I.E. UK to protect their own workforce
    It's another blow for Labour because not only do they lose bilions in tax they are funded by Woodley in his gang to about 80p in every pound donated to Labour

He'll manufacture something before long to get all the unions out for a winter of discontent and still pin the blame on Thatcher

14. And I bet you are one of those clowns who will mourn Thatcher when she croaks. Quick clue - Cost of re-tooling/design.

15. WHO is in the deeper SH1TE Germany of Japan?