UK cant do counterinsurgency says Gates

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Rumpelstiltskin, Jan 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-usafghan16jan16,0,1957179.story?coll=la-home-center

Has this topic been done? I couldn't find it.

I know US COIN doctrine's been coming on in leaps and bounds, but I still thought we were quite good at it.

Is this the problem?

2. msr

msr LE

It's certainly the pot calling the kettle black...

Perhaps he could be pointed at that rather good Guardian article, which rather refutes those claims.

msr

3. Which country created coin ops again?

Exceptional well trained troops can win any thing they set their mind to.

4. msr

msr LE

We invented football, cricket and rugby.

Doesn't mean we are world champions.

msr

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

They've got a good point about the troop numbers however. He forgets to mention that we, with our very limited troop numbers are operating in one of THE most hostile areas of Afghan.

I'd like to see what the septics do and say when they send the Marine Corps down south.

I'm sure it'll be something along the lines of "Good gawd almighty, these fellahs sure do fight!" and "Where the hell is the air support when you need it!" and "After the move south of 7,000 US Marines, there is a fear of mission creep in the Senate after the Generals asked for another 15,000 to back up the men already there, stating that the fighting in Helmand province is viscious, close-quarters, unrelenting and damaging."

6. We also created football and cricket.....

7. Perhaps the difficulty he's having in seeing the Brits is due to their being so feckin few in such a massive area? Maybe he just needs to look for something other than a massive log-base and swarms of helos.

8. Load of old cobblers.

Still this bit made me laugh:

Maybe they should try hiding or moving a bit more tactically then they too could reduce casualty numbers?

9. As said somewhere before the septics have an inferiority complex with us brits, maybe i didnt read that article too well but isnt it the spetics who are first to call in an air strike? "yehhahh! shit their is equal numbers? airstrike!"

10. Aren't US forces already in Helmand? In fact, didn't elements of 82nd ABN participate in the retaking of Musa Qula?

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

After reading that one wonders if this guy has ever been out of an office. What he's writing bears little resemblance to reality from my understanding.

12. Fine. I say that if he thinks he can do the job better, he's welcome to take over and our guys can be back in time for tea and medals. No drama.

Edit: Once again, it's the Spams re-inventing the wheel and claiming credit for it. Go and read your own COIN Doctrine or Learning to Eat Soup With a Knife, by Nagl, and see where most of the current American thinking about how to do COIN came from.

13. Ignorance to the nenth degree. By a US politician. What a surprise

14. I notice that this comes from the same nation that carried out the Mai Lai massacre and a world renound hearts & minds campaign in Vietnam, where the "worlds greatest military might" got their asses kicked by a bunch of pyjama wearing terrorists!

15. He does have half a point I'd say. Haven't we been moaning about the lack of troops and severe shortages in helicopters hampering operations for ages now? A more balanced view might be that with what resources they've got NATO troops are doing an very good job doing what they can in a limited area, but with increased support like the Americans receive they'd be able to do a hell of a lot more.