UK Camouflage

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
RM have previously blended kit when they felt the terrain warranted it. In Norway they often wore DPM top and white bottom, and when they deployed to Afghanistan for the first time after 9/11, 45 Cdo wore DPM smocks top and desert DPM bottom
Still do, well MTP top anyways, white top would stand out against vegetation.

I'm not sure but think we've held on to stocks of dessies just in case there's a confab in very very sandy places though, as it's still the best for the environment. But others would know better than me.

IMHO, the Army should concentrate on getting the basics right first, like being able to issue everybody with a bergen, webbing and a dossbag, you know the essentials. And there are still too many people cutting about with obsolete Mk 6 and Mk 7 combat helmets.
I never even got a Mk 7.

Still do, well MTP top anyways, white top would stand out against vegetation.

I'm not sure but think we've held on to stocks of dessies just in case there's a confab in very very sandy places though, as it's still the best for the environment. But others would know better than me.
To be honest everything turns to dust once dirty. Hence the nickname khakis by the boers 120 years ago.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
To be honest everything turns to dust once dirty. Hence the nickname khakis by the boers 120 years ago.
Predates the Boer War by some 50 years, Khaki was first used by British Troops in India in the late 1840s, khaki comes from Urdu not Afrikaans.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Most camouflage patterns are too small when viewed at detection range. The purpose is to break up the outline of the human body so the eye is not drawn to it. The Denison smock had a more suitable size pattern, but even that effect starts to be lost over 30m.

And currently being sported by some US SF types...
Well when every tom, dick and royal is cutting about in your fancy Multicam you gotta look unique!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

The best camouflage pattern is that afforded by appending local foliage. It follows that colouring the fabric is only strictly necessary in environments that lack foliage.

Rather than concentrate on camouflage patterns, perhaps the research should be on 3-dimensional* artificial foliage (or rockery) and a means to attach it to clothing and equipment.

*not necessarily bulky full-depth foliage, just something that provides physical texture and results in shading that varies according to the time of day. It should be offset and sufficiently flexible that it moves in a breeze and doesn't snag on stuff.

Predates the Boer War by some 50 years, Khaki was first used by British Troops in India in the late 1840s, khaki comes from Urdu not Afrikaans.
If you study the African colonisation wars you’ll find tunics were tanned earlier in the 1830s
I mentioned the nickname was khakis not it’s origin

If you really wanted to you could compare confederate butternut though

Most camouflage patterns are too small when viewed at detection range. The purpose is to break up the outline of the human body so the eye is not drawn to it. The Denison smock had a more suitable size pattern, but even that effect starts to be lost over 30m.
Most camouflage patterns, however effective they may be, are always improved by the addition of big fcuk off badges and (non) tactical recognition (?) flashes.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The best camouflage pattern is that afforded by appending local foliage. It follows that colouring the fabric is only strictly necessary in environments that lack foliage.

Rather than concentrate on camouflage patterns, perhaps the research should be on 3-dimensional* artificial foliage (or rockery) and a means to attach it to clothing and equipment.

*not necessarily bulky full-depth foliage, just something that provides physical texture and results in shading that varies according to the time of day. It should be offset and sufficiently flexible that it moves in a breeze and doesn't snag on stuff.
With all the attendant restrictions on movement - sorry, but stuff will snag. Texture is a book point, witness Barracuda netting on AFVs, but I'd suggest that texture, beyond the helmet, is provided by the plethora of pouches, etc, and folds in clothing.

A decent base colour or pattern is always going to be useful. Try attaching all of that artificial foliage to a bright orange jacket.

Also, given that you're supposed to change your foliage as you pass through terrain, you'd be carrying a spare Bergen just to port your camouflage everywhere.

Image borrowed from Wikipedia (which also illustrates why brown boots and Coyote Brown weapons are a good idea) to illustrate the point.
Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 10.39.04.png

With all the attendant restrictions on movement - sorry, but stuff will snag. Texture is a book point, witness Barracuda netting on AFVs, but I'd suggest that texture, beyond the helmet, is provided by the plethora of pouches, etc, and folds in clothing.

A decent base colour or pattern is always going to be useful. Try attaching all of that artificial foliage to a bright orange jacket.

Also, given that you're supposed to change your foliage as you pass through terrain, you'd be carrying a spare Bergen just to port your camouflage everywhere.

Image borrowed from Wikipedia (which also illustrates why brown boots and Coyote Brown weapons are a good idea) to illustrate the point.
View attachment 485490
That black bag on his back doesn't do too much to improve cam and concealment either.

That black bag on his back doesn't do too much to improve cam and concealment either.
If you look a bit closer the ‘black’ bag appears to be an earlier issued DPM Bergen/carrier of some sort.

Which is interesting considering this discussion!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dubb_al_Ibn

War Hero
Sorry to go a bit "off piste" but William Gibson wrote a novel, Zero History (the third in the Blue Ant series), that examines the "intersection between street wear, work wear and military clothing."

The premise is that originally it was cool to wear on the street what the armed forces were wearing but now, to improve recruiting, the military powers that be want to find out what the kids are wearing on the street and incorporate that into military clothing.

It also touches on the "patenting" of various camouflage patterns and the commercial intrigue that attends that concept. Who cares if the pattern works as long as it looks cool? Hence "Tacticool."
I cant help thinking that some of that idea underlies this latest RM move to Crye.

Has anyone mentioned Kryptek, yet?

£350!!

£380 before discount.

For a pair of fcuking army strides?

Someone is having a giraffe.

Charlie in Vietnam was wearing black pyjamas, Terry in Afg was wearing honking dish dash and it was chasing ghosts, as no body could see them.

And we're coughing up a king's ransom for some modern art splash paintwork and still sticking out like a bulldogs boll0cks.

£380 before discount.

For a pair of fcuking army strides?

Someone is having a giraffe.

Charlie in Vietnam was wearing black pyjamas, Terry in Afg was wearing honking dish dash and it was chasing ghosts, as no body could see them.

And we're coughing up a king's ransom for some modern art splash paintwork and still sticking out like a bulldogs boll0cks.
380 notes?! Holy shit!!

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sorry to go a bit "off piste" but William Gibson wrote a novel, Zero History (the third in the Blue Ant series), that examines the "intersection between street wear, work wear and military clothing."

The premise is that originally it was cool to wear on the street what the armed forces were wearing but now, to improve recruiting, the military powers that be want to find out what the kids are wearing on the street and incorporate that into military clothing.

It also touches on the "patenting" of various camouflage patterns and the commercial intrigue that attends that concept. Who cares if the pattern works as long as it looks cool? Hence "Tacticool."
I cant help thinking that some of that idea underlies this latest RM move to Crye.

Has anyone mentioned Kryptek, yet?
Tacticool is more accessories than clothing, bags, optics, webbing etc. Never really associated it with clothing.

Wonder what matelots and you green jobs attached to 3CDOX will be wearing in the field. I mean I doubt pusser will keep paying for PCSCU if they buy the marines this new stuff (MPGS at RM units aren’t entitled to the MTP barracks shirts as they’re an Army UIN issued item only). And then there’s all the associated flashes (we matelots wear mudguards in combat rig, regardless if we’re commando trained or not).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Threads