UK Camouflage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before cbt 95 there was the mustard yellow 90 jacket trousers combo that worked..replaced by thinner trousers that did fade over time as did the material leaping your bollocks covered. Then came the non ripstop dpm, it also faded with plenty of use and washing..
MTP pcs addressed the shades of d p m its redesign also worked for balls not being exposed too.

Key points to note trousers must be robust for field conditions be it belt buckle in arid or wet environments… ubac shirts are ideal,

However the number of folk that tailor their barrack shirt with shoulder pockets shows a need for it.

@Boxy can explain in greater detail the subtle nuances of what wear works where and when better.

Dredd

LE
From the Daily Mail, Royals new kit.

Royal Marines unveil new resistant and breathable uniform

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cargo pockets for waterbottles and ammunition.

LOL.

Hey journo - are you sure it is not a tank?

Just what is the advantage of Crye over MTP? And really, just what was wrong with DPM? I know it was way too dark and blobbed out at distance, but lightening the shades to a more bleached 70s style would surely have solved that problem. I can understand jackets and trousers being redesigned to fit changing roles, but was it really necessary to totally redesign the pattern?

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Just what is the advantage of Crye over MTP? And really, just what was wrong with DPM? I know it was way too dark and bobbed out at distance, but lightening the shades to a more bleached 70s style would surely have solved that problem. I can understand jackets and trousers being redesigned to fit changing roles, but was it really necessary to totally redesign the pattern?
That was my first thought when I saw MTP. Bar the use of black in DPM, the colours/shades weren't too far different.

Remember guys MTP is just Crye Multicam we paid Crye to DPMise for our own use. They have no real difference in practice.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

The Rhodesian camo is pretty good all round too. Again, light shades. Not dissimilar to early windproofs and Dennisons.

Still, you can't beat needlessly spunking cash when it's someone else's.

Cargo pockets for waterbottles and ammunition.

LOL.

Hey journo - are you sure it is not a tank?
I thought that but the website for crye specifically mentions it as in, if I remember correctly, “Cargo pocket stabilisers for water bottle or ammunition.”

DPM got darker not just because of the individual colours, but because the pattern got smaller and more condensed - if you look at a 1970's DPM smock and compare it to a 2005 (for example) smock you'll see that the brown had gone from a medium reddish brown to a very dark brown within which the black was almost invisible.

the pattern looks as if its been increaced in density by about a third. it had been quite a 'swishy', spaced out pattern, but by 2005 it was just a dark brown mess at more than 100m - and if it got wet it went black. helpful.

i like MTP/multicam - i think its remarkabley effective in a wide swathe of geographic conditions (i think it comes out as just too light in general palette in jungle and deep, dark forest, but its acceptable given the cost and logistic savings of having one uniform).

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
DPM got darker not just because of the individual colours, but because the pattern got smaller and more condensed - if you look at a 1970's DPM smock and compare it to a 2005 (for example) smock you'll see that the brown had gone from a medium reddish brown to a very dark brown within which the black was almost invisible.

the pattern looks as if its been increaced in density by about a third. it had been quite a 'swishy', spaced out pattern, but by 2005 it was just a dark brown mess at more than 100m - and if it got wet it went black. helpful.

i like MTP/multicam - i think its remarkabley effective in a wide swathe of geographic conditions (i think it comes out as just too light in general palette in jungle and deep, dark forest, but its acceptable given the cost and logistic savings of having one uniform).
The original DPM was apparently darkened to improve performance at night. Yet MTP has gone lighter.

DPM got ridiculously dark.

Latest Threads