UK calls for Guantanamo closure

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by whitecity, May 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And, apparently:

Ahhhh! Now it's the Supreme Court's fault for G-Bay. And I thought the only reason for G-Bay was because the US legal system couldn't be trusted to find the detainees guilty!
  2. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Dubya passing the buck again...Wonder what Tony will say?
    Seriously tho,If in all the time these prisoners have been detained,surely the U'S would've been able to prove something by now.I'm not advocating terrorism here but keeping people detained indefinatly makes a mockery of what we went to war for.It makes,in a way,us no better than what was going on in Iraq before Saddam was removed.
  3. I'd not go that far, for instance I can't recall the last time we tortured our national football teams for losing. But yes, there is a little irony in what the U.S went to do and is now doing.
  4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

You're right there. But with the allegations of torture against the G-Bay,who know's what goes on there.Is the 'interrogation' done by the Slime a breach of the basic needs & right's of a human being?Do they stick by the 'book'?Who knows but we (I hope!) are far more civilised & respectfull of our fellow man than Sadamm will ever be.
  5. So we're demonstrating our 'independence' by calling for the closure of Gitmo just when opinion in DC is swinging that way anyway? Well how brave of HMG.

Or rather, how pathetic.
  6. Or a deliberate, combined PR offensive... :wink:
  7. Is this from the same Goldsmith responsible for ensuring rapists and murderers etc are free to stalk our streets? The samer Goldsmith responsible for politically driven prosecution of troops whose feet he is not fit to lick?

When Goldsmith and his ilk sort out the failures of justice in this country, then they can criticise The States.

A pity we cant deport HIM to Guantanamo.
  8. Well said, W_P.
  9. What a great idea! Would focus their minds for Germany wonderfully!

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

...and in true " Special Relationship ? my ARRSE ! " fashion, Amerika responds:

...better late than never? This just in......testicle development surges at court of King Tony, shock horror, probe...pic.P3.....

Le Chevre
  11. Maybe we could transfer the prisoners to the Black Hole of Calcutta instead. Or maybe the Maze ? It's available I think ?
  12. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Sorry, it's fully booked with NI Slimming Team commemorations.
  13. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

T6 - if you are going to attempt to shame us red-handed Imperialists with our dark deeds from 200 years ago at least TRY and get the facts straight....the Black Hole of Calcutta was perpetrated by disgruntled pukka native types against the white running dog sahibs of the East India Company ( a sort of 18th C Halliburton....)

According to a survivor's account, disputed by Twentieth century revisionists, 143 British and Native troops were packed into a room within a captured fort which measured 20 feet square. By morning 23 were left alive.

So, that's alright then.....

And NOBODY in The Maze ( all of whom were sentenced via a court of law) ever received treatment remotely similar to that routinely given to detainees in Gitmo and other US administered detention centres.

Let me guess - you're from Bawston right ?

Le Chevre
  14. Of course, Americans are not unfamiliar with a prison where a distivctive garb was used , loud music played at all hours, sleep deprivation and tort... ooops 'enchanced interrogation techniques' and scant regard for the Geneva convention.

Hoa Lo Prison , Hanoi.

Whilst I detest Goldsmith with a vengeance and his selective amnesia when it comes to interpretation of International Law , he does make a point.

This is not America

They are now Mr. McCormack. Wouldn't you be , if you were innocent, banged up and exposed to hostile interrogation?