UK built robots being used in Japan

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vampireuk, Apr 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Japan nuclear crisis 'over in nine months'

Nice to know we are still able to build something now and then!

2. We're actually still very good at cutting-edge engineering, just not on a large enough scale for mass-employment as in days of yore.

Where we're going to stand in the future is anyone's guess. Lots of countries are ramping up their R&D expenditure as a spur for future economic growth to drive recovery while ours seems to be stalling. Government and private sector R&D both aren't keeping pace with inflation let alone providing the means for the sorts of investment needed to keep up.

One thing I'd love to see is the shifting of capital taxation off of fixed assets like laboratories and workshops. What a spur that would be, not just to innovation from within but to investment from and collaboration with leading international research organisations. We're a small country in the grand scale, yet still larger than many high-tech heavy-hitters like Taiwan. Why can't we play to our strengths instead of trying to bolster a losing position?

3. Possibly these robots are from BNFL. Throughout the crisis, I have been amazed at the lack of robot use - after all Japan is often considered the world leaders in robotics. I know ionizing radiation kills semiconductors, but semiconductors can be radiation hardened bu using different substrates. Blah blah...

Here's a wikipedia page if you're interested: Radiation hardening - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shakes head: There was no wikipedia when I was a student. Ho hum.

Because our politicians are idiots? Do you mean to sat companies and other organisations get taxed yearly on laboraty and workshop facilities? FFS!

More of my thoughts here: The collapse of UK manufacturing - Page 7 - PPRuNe Forums