UK Border Checks......whats the problem?

Scratching my head as to why this is such a big problem.......then this

While Clarkson's comments lacked "diplomacy" Jeremy Clarkson claims delays at Heathrow could be solved with a bit of racism | Mail Online

Palmer here Our border staff must be allowed to discriminate over which travellers they check - Telegraph states the same thing but without the angst of those that will always be offended........

The common sense approach seems to me that checks should be "Intelligence led" and not using the current blanket approach.....what is the answer any ideas ?

Whats the problem? In the last month I travelled through Heathrow 4 times, each time there were only ethnic minorities on the desks(some could just about hold a conversation in English). Twice I went through and they were scrutinising white peoples passports, but letting "ethnics" through with just a glance.

Thats the problem.

The problem? Random checks rather than profiling.

My mum is 72 years old and 5' 2" and rather frail. She hardly fit the profile if a hardened jihaddi, yet she routinely gets the full checks and searches bollocks at thiefrow while swarthy men with beards, dishdash's and a bad attitude are waved through.

"Intelligence led"

There's your problem.
I new that was coming LoL........I use Amsterdam as my main hub.....although the constant searching does pee me off

Whats the problem? In the last month I travelled through Heathrow 4 times, each time there were only ethnic minorities on the desks(some could just about hold a conversation in English). Twice I went through and they were scrutinising white peoples passports, but letting "ethnics" through with just a glance.

Thats the problem.
So true.

there were only ethnic minorities on the desks
Quite - just putting right years of institutional soundism by employing all those people living directly under the Heathrow flight paths. A secondary (but entirely unrelated) benefit is on-hand subject matter expertise on fast-track access to benefits and welfare.

Your mum gets the full checks and searches her bollocks? :eek:

Personally I don't see what the problem is with a bit of waiting, it's not as if they are delaying people on purpose. People complain far too much, "too many immigrants in the country" so they increase border checks, "too long waiting in the que, they should be checking the darkies not me". What a bunch of mindless bigoted whining morons, using any excuse to have a good old moan about the government, that is the problem.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Instead of making soldiers redundant, make a number of OCE posts at Security & Border Control.

Soldiers don't get kicked out (saving redundancy money)
Border Control is tighter (especially if they are armed)

Win win!

Instead of making soldiers redundant, make a number of OCE posts at Security & Border Control.

Soldiers don't get kicked out (saving redundancy money)
Border Control is tighter (especially if they are armed)

Win win!
Might up set the unions..............

The Iris recognition system, which increased the cost of passports and would speed things up, hasn't worked on the last 3 occasions I've come into UK (once at East Mids and twice at Gatwick). On flights to Spain, all passport details have to be logged in before flying and passengers from UK very occasionally get their passports checked when entering the country despite not being a part of the Schengen agreement. Is this too difficult for UK airports?

I don't think that the government wants the border force to be very efficient. It wants it to look efficient. If they detain lots oof people then they have to be accommodated and all the rest.
What needs to be more efficient is the way visas are granted at embassies. Employing a local to issue student and tourist visas seems to be an invitation to corroupt practice.

ugly

LE
**** em, if they want to come here they can queue up like we have to when we go to the USA. There should be a sign up saying "We are full if you dont like queueing **** off!"

if they want to come here they can queue up
Fair point, but let's have two queues. One for those that will bring wealth, innovation, vitality and vision into the country, and one for the rest. ID'ing who is who will be simple - one group will have minimal luggage and generally be unaccompanied; whilst the other will have a mass of extra-large suitacases and bales of something-or-other, and be accompanied by a significant number of aged relatives, females, and children.

Might up set the unions..............
The unions are pretty incandescent already. The ISU, which has never called a strike since it's formation in 1971, will be calling it's second one day stoppage on the 10th of this month. PCS are out too.

The common sense approach seems to me that checks should be "Intelligence led" and not using the current blanket approach.....what is the answer any ideas ?
So long as it's specific intelligence and not just "well, they're a bit dark, innit?" Apart from alienating people who might otherwise have no problems with the screening it just encourages the use of more Anglo-Saxon-looking operatives, secure in the knowledge that Border Control will assume them to be low-risk.

I don't think I've mentioned that Clarkson's a **** for a while. Well, he's a ****.

I think its all part of a general incompetence thats been evident in the foreign office, home office and government for years. There has been no common sense planning at all for the vast growth in international travel - particularly to the UK from Russia, China, India and the BRIC nations. In Russia, for example, in order to rewards the new Russian Democracy (hahahahahaha....) UK built an expensive new embassy (mostly glass and full of contemporary UK art... famous architect, etc... looks shite just a few years later - like an NHS incinerator plant..), but only included a tiny visa section and waiting area. The fcuking obvious happened, and thousands of newly free-to-travel visa applicants ended up queuing up the street in sub-zero temperatures - often to be turned away after several hours as the visa section closed. The visa clearance process sometimes took weeks, with non-Moscow applicants having to spend hundreds of dollars travelling to Moscow at short notice when their appointments came up. Completely overwhelmed, the embassy was forced to take the usual HMG route of outsourcing it all to an agency, turning it into an even more expensive and frustrating process.

Don't get me started on the situation with people passing through UK naturalisation via Lunar House in Croydon.... grrrrrrr

Lets face it - the bloated state management of UK has descended to level of mediocrity that can no longer cope with problems that would appear to be routine operational issues to a private organisation...