UK aviation and BREXIT

EASA has 32 members. The EU currently has 28, soon to be 27.
Why therefore can Norway and Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland, all of whom are not in the EU, be members and UK can't post leaving the EU.
Seems to me to be more scare stories like the one about Macron shutting Calais.
They are rule takers and subject to the ECJ. We can have the same arrangements

They are rule takers and subject to the ECJ. We can have the same arrangements
Where aviation is concerned having standard rules is a good thing

My objection to EASA has never been the rules but how they are implemented and the body itself

Each nation could have signed up to a standardised set of rules etc and own authourities enforced - im not sure EASA as an EU function was anything other than a power grab much like the Euro - processes put in place to force an EU state.

You cannot have a currency union without a political union - look at how now the EU is imposing its will over Italy and before that Spain - because of the threat to the Euro.
The EU is being built arse about face because the idealogues are trying to create a situation where union is inevitable despite opposition.

This is wher most opposition comes from its not anti EU its anti this EU - Mrs L is all in favour of an EU but one built from the ground up to be that and working towards it honestly.

Im not opposed but I see one or 2 issues related to full union - that concern me.

Where aviation is concerned having standard rules is a good thing

My objection to EASA has never been the rules but how they are implemented and the body itself

Each nation could have signed up to a standardised set of rules etc and own authourities enforced - im not sure EASA as an EU function was anything other than a power grab much like the Euro - processes put in place to force an EU state.

You cannot have a currency union without a political union - look at how now the EU is imposing its will over Italy and before that Spain - because of the threat to the Euro.
The EU is being built arse about face because the idealogues are trying to create a situation where union is inevitable despite opposition.

This is wher most opposition comes from its not anti EU its anti this EU - Mrs L is all in favour of an EU but one built from the ground up to be that and working towards it honestly.

Im not opposed but I see one or 2 issues related to full union - that concern me.
An interesting and informative post, as I would normally expect from you.

Perhaps, having a common court of arbitration seems like a sensible move for a buttload of countries on each others doorsteps though?

Perhaps, having a common court of arbitration seems like a sensible move for a buttload of countries on each others doorsteps though?
I dont know

It just seems to me that courts dealing with countries is just wrong - It shouldnt be necassery

but mostly i dont see it as enforcible.
We can shout all we like about China nocking apple - but what exactly can we do about it - if they turn round and say no not acepting that judgement.

Now weve a UN scenario
Where anything of substance is ignored or derailled by the big boys
the little fish shoal together to produce populist, biased and generally ridiculous calls against people they disagree with or pointless resolutions on issues not concerning them.

I see an international court as a way to grandstand and produce hot air but incapable of achieving anything of substance.

To resolve issues between neighbours well yes a body for that to arbitrate I can see as being useful and a good thing

Im not sure where the line is between an organisation to help resolve issues and a legal body falls though

Bit disjointed SWMBO has me doing a dozen odd jobs

And this court of arbitration has been used exactly....

Never.

And no one expects it ever to get involved.

Can you explain why the FAA has managed to reduce accident rates by twice as much as the almighty EASA has managed?

You May show your working out.
Perhaps Europe was starting from a better position
After all if youve a 1 in a million rate its hard to improve significantly if its a 1 in 3 a 100% improvements not difficult
Then theres how you quantify figures , whats included in figures especially private aviation.

Not withstanding that some European aviation isnt under EASAs remit its still held at state level

Can you explain why the FAA has managed to reduce accident rates by twice as much as the almighty EASA has managed?

You May show your working out.
They were twice as bad? The point being that the person making the claim shows their working out, with suitable links.

A concept you're not aware of it appears.

Perhaps Europe was starting from a better position
After all if youve a 1 in a million rate its hard to improve significantly if its a 1 in 3 a 100% improvements not difficult
Then theres how you quantify figures , whats included in figures especially private aviation.

Not withstanding that some European aviation isnt under EASAs remit its still held at state level

FAA works up to a standard, EASA dumbs down to a common one size fits all standard.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
FAA works up to a standard, EASA dumbs down to a common one size fits all standard.
Utter horse crap.

Your experience with EASA is what exactly?
I wonder how long plucky Britain can hold the USA and the EU (we are sandwiched between) to ransom?

Will the Americans come to our side? Or help whip us into line with the EU?

I wonder how long plucky Britain can hold the USA and the EU (we are sandwiched between) to ransom?
Will the Americans come to our side? Or help whip us into line with the EU?
Just out of intrest how will the UK enforce a no fly over the UK? Doesn't the USA have more aircraft based in the UK (or can do in 24 hours) than the RAF does?

Just out of intrest how will the UK enforce a no fly over the UK? Doesn't the USA have more aircraft based in the UK (or can do in 24 hours) than the RAF does?
I think in the context of Brexit its not about the UK enforcing a no fly zone ( wibble about closing air space to punish EU aside)

Its EU ATC no longer being certified to control it (as per the maint flying production orgs) at which point its not so much closed as nobody will allow their operators to venture into it cue diverts around it

- you can hardly state UK orgs cant do it then rely on said UK orgs to support your flights through.

Look at the Chaos when the French and Spanish ATC decide whose turn it is to go on strike this year -

Bearing in mind 40% of the EASA experts are British and most of the EASA framework came from the (now-ex) CAA people. If you are correct that does not bode well for the UK doing it's own Civil Aviation Regulator post Brexit does it ? :)

Never mind on the 1st of April 2019 all the worlds major economies and regulatory bodies are going to suddely give the UK the easiset ride possible and change everything in a few weeks to sort the UK.

Last edited:
I think in the context of Brexit its not about the UK enforcing a no fly zone ( wibble about closing air space to punish EU aside)

Its EU ATC no longer being certified to control it (as per the maint flying production orgs) at which point its not so much closed as nobody will allow their operators to venture into it cue diverts around it

- you can hardly state UK orgs cant do it then rely on said UK orgs to support your flights through.

Look at the Chaos when the French and Spanish ATC decide whose turn it is to go on strike this year -
Good points BUT the ATC is there for taking ac from the airlanes and landing them. Sending them back up etc to join air lanes.

Over places like Ukraine, Iraq, Syria etc (the bits where the war is) the Atlantic, Pacific etc the air lanes go "above" or outside the locally controlled airspace. It is a bit like local roads and motorways.

You can use the motorways but some junctions will be closed. So you can go up and down the M5, M6 and M42 but not into or out of Birmingham..... Actually that would be a bloody good idea anyway:)

And if they have to pick up the slack of traffic control for all those aircrafts crossing the Atlantic they will be very unhappy and may both also walk out.

And if they have to pick up the slack of traffic control for all those aircrafts crossing the Atlantic they will be very unhappy and may both also walk out.
The number of flights will be much lower as there will be none in or out of the UK. It is only picking up the connecting or transit passengers and those who were going to or form other parts of Europe. So you need to deduct all the passengers and flights going to from the UK as a start/end point.

Yes it will be mess for a while but it is the UK that will get the blame for that. At which point the EU is not going to be helping the UK but looking after itself first. Just as the USA will.