UK armed forces in cash crisis

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Oct 28, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. I like the line:

A Whitehall official was more straightforward: "The MoD thought it had more money than it did."

How many times have bank managers heard that one?

3. Quote: "However, defence sources say Mr Hoon will delay biting the bullet." Is that so that he can leave that biting to his successor!!

4. Pilots have a cliche about starting out with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill your bag of experience before your luck runs out. British defence policy works in a similar fashion.

A Defence Secretary comes into office with a balloon of capabilities and a balloon of commitments, balancing a vase of credibility on his nose. A man from the Treasury immediately begins squeezing the capabilities balloon progressively harder whilst the Foreign Secretary blows more and more hot air into the commitments balloon. Every so often, the Prime Minister looks in. If nothing has happened, he tops up the credibility pot. The art of being a good Defence Secretary is to escape from Horse Guards Avenue with the credibility intact before either of the balloons burst. The longer you can stick it, the more credibility you can come out with and the worse the situation becomes for your successor.

5. An excellent analagy !

This divergence has been brewing for some months and we are fast approaching crunch time.

If this nation wants the best Armed Forces in the world - then they have to pay for it. It is simple as that.

What we do not want are cost cutting measures that jepordises soldiers lives because they are equiped with old and outdated equipment. This includes R and D budgets which are a common saving - we cut this at our peril.

6. Bet you a pound to penny that they do inflict cost cutting measures and that it does cost soldiers lives.... :evil:

7. I consider sending the TA out to Iraq cost cutting that costs lives.

8. tip trident submarine pointed at swiss bank Hello its the MOD here we need a loan :twisted:

9. What the hell, we've all got a bit of a cash problem.... and haven't we all somtimes found out we haven't quite got as much as we thought. Why should the MOD be any different!

10. I hope I'm amongst fellow conspirators here - but the country really has got to face up to a few stark facts. In very simple terms it's v. large pieces of equipment (aircraft carrier anyone?) versus a more flexible capability i.e. a well trained and well equipped army. We could be really radical, concentrate on our strengths and leave all the really high tech stuff to the yanks.

11. msr

msr LE

MPS,

Or be even more radical and accept the fact that we are just a small island with a lot of people on it, in no imminent danger of invasion so we can disband our armed forces and concentrate on solving the social problems which exist here.....

msr

12. EfPP

That analogy scares me 8O

Are you Robin Cook?

13. I'll just go and check for ginger pubes..

14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

So we have to stop using the phrase "Well it's a big firm!", then.

15. its still a big firm QMan, just a skint one.