UK approach to combatting percieved terrorist threat

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by scotscop, Mar 29, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After reading varying articles in a number of UK newspapers I would like to know what the members of arrse think of how well the government is coordinating and handling the prevention of terrorism.
  2. Personally I think we are totally unprepared for anything that a terrorist will through at us, especially under this government and its lefty ideas! :evil:
  3. Come on lets turn it into a Tony Liar hate thread
  4. I could rant for hours on that topic! 8)
  5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

However much the Dear Leader (may his reign be blessed etc.) spouts (in his 'voice-of-concern') about T W A T, his record speaks for itself - appeasement of NI terrorists, and a total failure to control immigration and asylum.
  6. Especially after todays news item on the total failure of the Immigration service to listen to one of their own! :evil:

We are wide open waiting for a strike and the idiots don't know what to do!
  7. I think the proof of the effectiveness of the gov's response to the terrorist threat is in the lack of (successful) attacks we have sustained. ...- touch wood.

I'm not a screaming Blair loving lefty but I think he has some good people of an non-political nature working for him.

We are a very attractive target and quite vulnerable (despite our island nature) due to our geographical position in Europe and high domestic ethnic diversity. We have been long overdue a spectacular to follow 9/11 and the events in+around Heathrow a few months ago (it was on the news - can't remember exact details but included threat of SAMs) may be one example of many foiled attacks.

From our unfortunate experiences with PIRA we have a slightly more aware public and experienced police force in terrorism than the average Western country. So you could argue this "success" cannot be apportioned to the Gov but I think the grinning t1t deserves a little credit.
  8. Most of what you say, I agree with. However I think it is a case of the terrorists waiting for the right moment or perhaps wanting to lull us into a false sense of security.

TB (God bless his name forevermore!) was accused of using the incidents at Heathrow to take the heat of him and his cronies when they are getting battered in the press. That would not really surprise me with him at all.

We are different, as you say, in that we have been targets for the past 30 years courtesy of PIRA but we are getting lax, especially Joe Public. I think it has been luck so far with a little good intelligence work.

Long may it continue! :?
  9. We are quite frankly sitting ducks. A country full of 'non english' (if ones allowed to say that) anyone of which could be readying themselves for some sort of attack. We appear to have border controls that are now virtually non existant so if they want to get in there's no problem there.

I say that not to stir up racial hatred but it's a simple statement of fact. Where better to hid a terrorist than amongst his (or her) own. What we don't know is how sucessful the security services are in gathering intelligence and hence thwarting potental attacks. We hear of the few sucesses on the news but this is probably the minority. I suspect they're working flat out on this particular subject.

The other issue to consider is whether they consider us just too pathetic a target to bother with!!
  10. When a major terrorist act is averted , in many cases it is more luck than judgment and usually down to some failure in the terrorist structure as to why that particular attempt failed.
    Of course there are always politicians and security agencies all to willing to jump on the band wagon and claim the praise for protecting the realm.

I feel we are as ready as we can be(it will never be enough) and I believe our security services are doing all they can, but the bottom line is the terrorist always will hold the upper hand, lets just hope our luck holds.
  11. When the IRA were bombing the mainland, the 'Irish' (from both the Republic and the British bit) living on the mainland would condemed the acts. The Irish were among the victims.

Other than pikeys, the Irish assimilate. You'd meet Shamus down the pub and he'd be ranting about the latest atrocity with everyone else. His father fought in the British Army during WW2.

The IRA didn't do suicide bombs. There was the odd involuntary one though. :lol:

Irish in the UK police and in the community had no conflct of loyalties, not to the point that they were silent or "understood" the terrorists motives.

Terrorist organisations could be infiltrated. We all look the same!

Gerry would be on TV complaining (in subtitles) about harassment in Ulster (not that he called it that) but that was about it.

The Irish didn't want to change anything in their new country. Neither do/did Italians, Jews, Poles, Chinese. Nor did the first wave of Africans (Afro Caribbean- still Africans).

Subsequent waves of Africans and descendants of the earlier waves of Africans do. Some convert to Islam. Immigrants from the Indian sub continent go into both camps. Some are Muslims, those who are not are associated with them anyway, by the ignorance of others. A few are completely assimilated ( o'er a bit Borgesque) into British life. They may be 'native' at home but that's (usually) okay. They know who they are and so do the rational British of European race. Welcome.

When there is a major terrorist attack in this country ( Madrid scale?) or maybe one suicide bomber, and the culprit(s) is "Islamic", Muslims are going to be on the receiving end of some major unofficial grief. Except in areas where they are in the majority.

Asif will not be down the local pub; "fcuking 'ell mate, that was nasty, may the guilty rot in hell". He'll be: not in the pub, silent or 'understanding'. Then he'll complain that he, family, neighbour or some tw@t he doesn't even know has been searched by the police in connection with the incident.

Fighting 'Islamic' terrorism is different.

We're aw' doomed! :wink:
  12. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

It appears Scotland yard has had a result catching some potential bombers in the Home Counties and they had bomb making materials- looks like a result to me.
  13. Danny Morrison PIRA (Ret.) was once whinging about the conditions in which he was interned at Long Kesh. His father was listening and agreed saying that the huts were awful when he'd been in them too.

Morrison Jnr:"But Da you were never interned."

Morrison Snr:"I know. I stayed in them while I was in the RAF."
  14. Receiving a lecture on the dangers of turning Kremlin's evidence, the lecturer ( a Master at Arms in civvies from DNSy who thought he was James Bond) closed with a line to the effect

"So, if you don't want to end up spending your days in a 9 x 6 grey room, keep our secrets secret".

An old and bold Chief Petty Officer responds "Nine by six? Fcuking luxury!"

Much merriment.