UK anti-terror force 'planned'

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Gas Gas Gas, Jun 10, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the BBC web site:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_politics/newsid_2035000/2035903.stm

A 6,000-strong anti-terror reaction force is to be created to aid police in case of 11 September-style attacks on Britain, according to reports.

It is thought the "home guard" would be drawn from the existing 50,000 or so Armed Forces reservists.

Newspapers say the proposals were drawn up by senior military planners and the force could deal with all kinds of terrorist strikes including chemical, biological or nuclear attacks, which "cannot be ruled out".

A defence source told BBC News Online: "Certainly, post 11 September, we're looking with a bit more urgency at the way reserve forces will be deployed."

He said that a discussion document looking at the role of reservists was due later this week.

'Rebalancing'

Under the proposals volunteers for the force would remain with their normal units and be earmarked for availability in the event of a terrorist strike.

Receiving five or six days' extra training a year, they would be available within a few hours of an attack.

They could carry out operational tasks such as searching for survivors, securing water supplies and communications, dealing with mass casualties and organising transport.

Earlier this year the MoD said Territorial Army volunteers should play an expanded role to reduce the pressure on the regular forces.

It said that as increasing numbers of British soldiers were being deployed abroad on the "war on terror", new ideas were needed for homeland defence.

Such a force would throw into doubt suggestions under the 1998 strategic defence review that the TA could be cut in size by almost a third.

As an NBC bod, it will be interesting how seriously they take it all.  Or will it be "defence on the cheap" again?

2. Now what do you think Gas3? lol

Still be nice to get a bit of public profile at the airports and ports etc. Might also be used to stop half those bloody extremist "sleepers"  coming through the bloody eurotunnel

3. I HOPE THAT WHAT IT MEANS IS THAT THE RESERVES WOULD BE USED AFTER ANYTHING HAPPENED IM NOT TOO COMFY WITH THE TA/RESERVES BEING USED TO POLICE OUR OWN PEOPLE.

THE TA SHOULD BE USED AS A RESERVE AND NOT FIRST LINE. AFTER ALL WHO DO YOU CALL ON WHEN ALL THE TA HAVE BEEN COMMITTED AND SOMETHING ELSE HOVES INTO VIEW?

THE TA PLAYED A BIG PART IN COMBATING FOOT & MOUTH BUT USING THEM INSTEAD OF REGULAR FORCES IN THE UK IS NOT WHAT THE TA WAS MENT FOR. (NOT THAT I THINK WE ARE NOT CAPABLE OF DOING THE JOB)

HOWS IT GOING TO WORK ANYWAY?ARE WE GOING TO BE LIKE PART TIME FIREMEN AND CARRY A BLEEPER WHICH GOES OFF WHEN THE NASTIES STIKE OR ARE WE GOING TO BE ON SOME SORT OF STAG LIST ONE WEEK ON THREE OFF?

THE WAY ITS GOING PRESIDENT BLAIR WILL SOON HAVE THE ACF ON THE STREETS.

4. Doesn't sound much like saving the truck full of money which the fat chancellor wants us to, to me.

Sounds like an unworkable bluff to me but then maybe I'm just cynical.  Still, would make the RAAT taskings a bit spicy on the mainland.

As for saving cash, how about cancelling the validation exercises for the heavy end of the army prior to them going on various LATFs.  What a good idea!!

But then again, surely nobody could be that short-sighted.....

5. In reply to someones quote:THE WAY ITS GOING PRESIDENT BLAIR WILL SOON HAVE THE ACF ON THE STREETS.  

Having worked with stabs in the past, the ACF coulld probably do as professional jobs.  The TA cant be fussy before they try to poach our senior cadets and allowing them to skip recruit cadres
    :(

6. Let the Terriers look after their own street,saves mapreading errors

7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Well this is an interesting proposal, but don't expect any extra money (Not that anyone did).  The idea behind this is, I beleive, to provide a few bodies with local knowledge (So yes, it will be on our own streets) to be a "formed body of Men" (Or women, of course).  Quite what they will do, who knows?  There isn't likely to be much old-style KP guarding, or roadblocks, etc., for a simple reason - the Cops would have a fit if they thought that armed Soldiery were out on the streets.  In the UK, only Coppers and crims are allowed guns (God knows, they don't like farmers having shotguns!).  So, a good headline, but not much substance, I fear.

Also, they are talking of "around 500" per Brigade.  In my area, we have the following TA to choose from - an (understrength) Inf Bn. with 3 Coys, a REME Bn (3 small Coys) and a Field Amb (or whatever they're called nowadays).  If we can find 500 regular attenders from that lot, I will be happily surprised!  

8. Did this happen?

9. In short, not really, no.

10. Thanks, just wondered

11. JSP 101 Defence Writing Guide — Defence Academy of the United Kingdom

12. I suspect this refers to CCRF - Civil Contingencies Reaction Force, part of the Military's response to Civil Contingencies Act 2004.

Basically use TA as regional GD wallahs in a UK Op.

Concept disproven during Op Outlook/2007 Gloucester floods, when, as opposed to diverting the already available TA infantry unit from its camp/SPTA exercise to hump sandbags/build hesco, it was decided at Government that getting the TA to help out in such a high profile way would not be good PR.
    So regular units on OPTAG were diverted instead...

13. This is all ******* empire building, just like the futile "War on Drugs" which is also costing us billions and providing highly paid jobs for spooks........

Send the lot back, problem solved, they can bicker among themselves who's fault it was that they all got kicked out back over there, and carry on the atrocities elsewhere.

Call me a racist if you like..... I would argue that I'm a Cuntist.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Holy ******* eleven-year-old post Batman! That's got to be a record?