UK Ambassador to USA resigns

Trump really is a completely self-centred, mental child, who has no idea of irony.

Speaking to reporters in Washington on Friday, Mr Trump said he had since learned that Sir Kim had also said "some very good things" about him.

"I wish the British ambassador well. Some people just told me – too bad – they said he actually said some very good things about me," he said.

"I guess I quoted (Republican Senator) Lindsey Graham today. He said some things that were pretty nice from the British ambassador.

Trump wishes UK ambassador Sir Kim Darroch well following clash over leaked cables

Boris admits his craveness was a factor in Darroch's resignation

( Rare admission of guilt from Johnson there))
Sounds more like deflection than admission - it was someone else who misrepresented what I said.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sounds more like deflection than admission - it was someone else who misrepresented what I said.

Considering Darroch watched the debate in question and did not recieve second hand information, he made his decision based on what he saw Johnson say. I think saying "someone else misrepresented" is a crock of shite, but that's Johnson for you, dissembling and untruthful

Maybe it doesn't exist in the Philippines, but it does in the US. There are 8 consulates around the country. I have experience of the one in Atlanta, and became good friends with the guys there. The Consul-General I would say had a shot at being the future Ambo, but not yet, far too young in his early 40s. Thinking about it, it's essential to have these types of consulates, so that the guys can get their feet wet before becoming HMA.
FCO Consuls don't tend to become Heads of Mission. The latter start as 3rd Secretaries and work their way up, doing stints in smaller missions, becoming DHM or Minister before getting an Ambassadorial posting. Consular work is very different to the political and trade aspects. Some Ambassadors don't even have an FCO background, although this is the exception. Consuls are often LE (locally engaged).

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I agree with what is patently obvious, because I am not delusional.
I don't agree with bizarre fantasies that it is the authors fault if someone steals his correspondence and publishes it illegally.
That depth of idiot is annoying.

If he channelled me, it would have been a lot less diplomatic but then, I am not a diplomat. I don't indulge in such precise, accurate and nuanced text.

I really find it bizarre that your justification for a first world nation, leader of the free world and home to most of the lawyers on earth being in a state where you can now compare it to the third world crime centre Nigeria is basically "it's a foreign country. They do things differently".
(Hint-That's why we have ambassadors- to explain local conditions to our policy makers)

I will say it again for the hard of thinking. Darroch was NOT inflammatory, except in your delusions. He was accurate, measured, and responsibly reporting. He wasn't writing with an eye to stroking the ego of Trump, but to inform his masters.
Lazy, no. Concise, and true.

It was only "inflammatory" when some Criminal idiot deliberately exposed them to the most inflammable halfwit on earth, on purpose, to manufacture a diplomatic incident.
Now you're arguing against yourself.

Presumably Darroch felt he had no choice but to resign because what he'd written was so harmless and inert.

Can I ask those who claim that Uk USA relationships are worse than in living memory are they so young they don't remember Suez?
Or that in 1982 the USA was against the UK retaking the FI's and were giving Argentina sig int until Thatcher shut them up?
Or earlier than that when Wilson refused to go into Vietnam?
A minor kerfuffle which will soon be forgotten and probably would already be forgotten if the bbc hadn't played it for all it was worth and a lot more.
Trump appears to have already put it behind him.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Greener pastures? I have served both as a military and civilian diplomat; a year ago I was struck down with stage four cancer and now can no longer serve abroad. I work part time as a consultant as my treatment allows, whilst getting my affairs in order so that my wife and kids will have something to survive me.
awww sh1t Crash.....steady as she goes. Don't pay the Ferryman.

Can I ask those who claim that Uk USA relationships are worse than in living memory are they so young they don't remember Suez?
Um....no, actually. Surprisingly, before I was born ...whereas I grew up with nightly news broadcasts from Vietnam, including a young Martin Bell broadcasting from outside the US Embassy during the Tet offensive. And was impelled into the RNR in 1982.

Again?
It really would be a lot quicker if youd just reply.
No biggie if you cant.
<sigh>

the comment relates to the use of Newspeak as practiced by Smith in Orwell's novel..

Quote is also used in Eurythmics soundtrack from the film of '1984' starring John Hurt as the diarist Winston Smith , with Richard Burton as O'Brien his interrogator.

Track is called 'Doubleplusgood'.

Happy now?

Last edited:
Or that in 1982 the USA was against the UK retaking the FI's and were giving Argentina sig int until Thatcher shut them up?
Or earlier than that when Wilson refused to go into Vietnam?
A minor kerfuffle which will soon be forgotten and probably would already be forgotten if the bbc hadn't played it for all it was worth and a lot more.
Trump appears to have already put it behind him.
BBC (and media generally) like to consider themselves kingmakers, or in this case, kingbreakers. Too much of what they spout is their own agenda led. Too many biased views, not enough pure news.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
100 per cent correct.

If you want news,rather than opinion, take wire service content from Reuters,AFP, Press Assoc etc

Maybe it doesn't exist in the Philippines, but it does in the US. There are 8 consulates around the country. I have experience of the one in Atlanta, and became good friends with the guys there. The Consul-General I would say had a shot at being the future Ambo, but not yet, far too young in his early 40s. Thinking about it, it's essential to have these types of consulates, so that the guys can get their feet wet before becoming HMA.
And gals iirc...anyhoo

Last edited:
Now you're arguing against yourself.

Presumably Darroch felt he had no choice but to resign because what he'd written was so harmless and inert.
No, that is totally perverse.
He resigned because the current lame duck PM can't back him, and the heir apparent publicly shafted him.

At no point was the accuracy or otherwise of his comments called into question.

When your future boss publicly disowns you, you walk.
Then sue the bugger for constructive dismissal.

If Sir Kim Darroch had phrased his report differently, he would not have found himself backed into a corner. He need not have censored his opinions, just expressed them in a less provocative manner. He can still say that the administration was diplomatically inept, or that it was faction-riven, without using those exact phrases.

It's easy to say that had the report not leaked, he would not have had to resign, which is true, but had he phrased himself in a less-insulting manner, the leak would have been less dramatic. Maybe crossed off the Christmas Card list from the WH, but not provoking a diplomatic incident.

Undoubtably, he's been let down by the system, not classifying it sufficiently highly to begin with, and then allowing it to leak, but he did not help himself in the first place by the intemperate language used. It was the specific language used that was insulting and led to his resignation, rather than the idea of governmental ineptitude on the part of a then-new administration.

Your last sentence is in fact a perfect example of what led to his downfall. He probably thought much the same, was stupid enough to write it down like that, and got done over.

In the Police, do you write "This scrote is a cnut and needs a 10-stretch in the Scrubs to wake the twât up" or do you write "this is a persistent offender who has yet to receive sufficiently robust sentencing to deter him from criminal activity"
Once again, you place the blame in the diplomat. He did NOT "allow it to leak". The leak was in the UK, not the US.

This is akin to blaming the battered wife for injuring her boyfriend fist with her teeth.
You blame him for"intemperate" language. Cobblers.

He did not say anything that any other diplomat, or intelligent observer would not say. The Trump regime IS uniquely disfunctional. It reflects the personality cult at the top. It was disfunctional to start with, and has continued to be do.

The ambassador wrote what he needed to write, in the form that was required. QED.
He had no reasonable expectation that someone would commit a serious criminal offence to advance a Brexiteer policy position and discredit Hunt's Foreign Office.

He resigned because the current lame duck PM can't back him, and the heir apparent publicly shafted him.

There are a few aurally and visually impaired folks posting...could you translate this into braille?

1562955441830.png

1562955471632.png

Once again, you place the blame in the diplomat. He did NOT "allow it to leak". The leak was in the UK, not the US.

This is akin to blaming the battered wife for injuring her boyfriend fist with her teeth.
You blame him for"intemperate" language. Cobblers.

He did not say anything that any other diplomat, or intelligent observer would not say. The Trump regime IS uniquely disfunctional. It reflects the personality cult at the top. It was disfunctional to start with, and has continued to be do.

The ambassador wrote what he needed to write, in the form that was required. QED.
He had no reasonable expectation that someone would commit a serious criminal offence to advance a Brexiteer policy position and discredit Hunt's Foreign Office.
You are reading into my post what you want to read, rather than what I said. I said the system had failed him because it allowed the content to be leaked. This is because it was classified as OS, which as the modern equivalent of RESTRICTED is about the lowest it could possibly be. For Christ's sake, Army pt 1 orders were RESTRICTED and posted on notice boards all over camp, as an example.

Knowing that his report was to be barely-classified, Sir Kim then used language that he did not need to use. Or to put it another way, had he used different language he would not have had to resign.

The majority of the blame lies with the FCO for not classifying Diptels as high as they seem to warrant, if this is the content. I am sure had it been SECRET, the leak would either not have happened, or if it had, the leaker would be in the cells already. Residual blame lies with the author for using language that would offend if leaked, which given an OS classification, and the rather explosive content (UK Ambassador to US harshly criticizing POTUS) was hardly unimagineable.

QED indeed.

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

If you're right, I look forward to the court case.

The current PM's a walking corpse and had nothing to lose but still failed to back him (she was at liberty to do so had she so chosen). The heir apparent is, well, the heir apparent, he has no say in the matter and he doesn't owe Darroch a thing.

Having had a quick look at the UK government's security classifications, I would agree with your earlier post. His memo was worthy of being classified 'Secret'.

What he wrote could be viewed as;
Where the effect of accidental or deliberate compromise would be likely to result in any of the following:

Cause serious damage to relations with friendly governments or damage international relations resulting in formal protest or sanction

You are reading into my post what you want to read, rather than what I said. I said the system had failed him because it allowed the content to be leaked. This is because it was classified as OS, which as the modern equivalent of RESTRICTED is about the lowest it could possibly be. For Christ's sake, Army pt 1 orders were RESTRICTED and posted on notice boards all over camp, as an example.

Knowing that his report was to be barely-classified, Sir Kim then used language that he did not need to use. Or to put it another way, had he used different language he would not have had to resign.

The majority of the blame lies with the FCO for not classifying Diptels as high as they seem to warrant, if this is the content. I am sure had it been SECRET, the leak would either not have happened, or if it had, the leaker would be in the cells already. Residual blame lies with the author for using language that would offend if leaked, which given an OS classification, and the rather explosive content (UK Ambassador to US harshly criticizing POTUS) was hardly unimagineable.

QED indeed.
More bollocks.

The system did not fail him because it did not "allow " something to leak. This wasn't something left in the photocopier. It failed because it did not account for someone deliberately handing it to the press. This is an act of treason on the Bradley Manning scale.

The classification is a matter for FCO, as is its distribution, but we have the OSA to prevent people selling stuff to Russians, but not to prevent deliberate mischief making in this scale. "Leaks"are one thing, but this is a deliberately fabricated diplomatic incident that has directly harmed UK policy. Think on that.

Whoever did this did so in the certain knowledge it would harm the UK, because the thin skinned man child Trump could be guaranteed to over-react.

Sir Kim used ONLY the language appropriate. As I have said before, any ambassador who is writing his reports in the presumption that the host nation will read them will be utterly unable to do their job, which is to inform his masters in the UK.

The ambassador has a duty to report honestly. Apart from a few delusional Trump fanbois, there isn't a responsible diplomat in the world who would say the US has an efficient functional administration. Anyone who did say so would be recalled for psychiatric checks.

Let's not blame the diplomat for speaking truth to power. That is his job. Blame the treacherous rat who would trash the UKs political and business interests to score a few points in the Brexit debate.