UK Ambassador to USA resigns

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Isn't there summat like everyone's only 8 steps removed from the next bloke ?
It was proved to me I was linked to TB, which makes me treat such with great suspicion.
Between 6 and 8, it depends on the type of network structure the population you are looking at has (e.g. personal links on the internet look different to personal links of people you have met).

It's just about power curves. If you open up the calculator on your computer, and do 25 to the power of 7 (25*25*25*25*25*25*25) or 25^7, you'll get about 6 billion (the Kevin Bacon thing is a couple of decades old). That just means if you know 25 people, and all of them know 25 people, and all of those people know 25 people (and so on), you only need to do that 7 times to get the total number of people on the planet. Therefore within 7 links, you will be able to get to Kevin Bacon.

It doesn't exactly work like that in practice because networks don't look like that and tend to have 'gateways' (think of people in North Korea, they'll mostly know each other, with perhaps 1% of people who know anyone outside the country - you have to get to that 1% first, which takes more links). But it's close enough to demonstrate the idea.

The bad news is that not only are you linked to TB, but you are probably really closely linked to TB.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Stop gibbering.
I said that on the basis of who benefits from discrediting the Foreign Secretary by publicly destroying one of his most senior staff, when that FS is in a two horse race with Boris, then clearly the beneficiary is Boris .
No one else.

Boris can publicly deny "throwing the Ambassador under the bus" as much as he likes.
That carefully isn't the same as denying "One of my staff leaked some juicy gossip to a Faragist journo on the Mail for shits and giggles".
And you don't think Team *unt could have been attempting to smear BJ by planting the leak and pointing the finger at BJ? Like he's been doing since the beginning? And the consatant sniping is just friendly banter?

It wouldn't surprise me if Gove was working behind the scenes to sway the Party Faithful towards Anyone but Boris.

Boris has been consistent throughout this contest, refusing to bow to the media circus, refusing to allow his private life to be used as a weapon against him and what has really galled the media and ABB crowd is he refused to comment on a diplomatic spat that was the remit of his opponent in the Leadership race.

By the way, I'm not a Boris fan, just more in favour of him than anyone else that entered the competition.

And you don't think Team *unt could have been attempting to smear BJ by planting the leak and pointing the finger at BJ? Like he's been doing since the beginning? And the consatant sniping is just friendly banter?

It wouldn't surprise me if Gove was working behind the scenes to sway the Party Faithful towards Anyone but Boris.

Boris has been consistent throughout this contest, refusing to bow to the media circus, refusing to allow his private life to be used as a weapon against him and what has really galled the media and ABB crowd is he refused to comment on a diplomatic spat that was the remit of his opponent in the Leadership race.

By the way, I'm not a Boris fan, just more in favour of him than anyone else that entered the competition.
Sir, your tinfoil hat needs adjusting. About the only person you haven't so far accused in an attempt to exclude Boris is Professor Moriarty, and his accomplice Dr Fu Manchu.

You are clearly a Boris fanboi to the max, and you have swallowed his schtick in its entirety.

And when they do, it'll be a politico behind it, which means no further action against that culprit. It'll be: nothing to see here, move along for the politician.

However, some poor scribe will get their collar felt for showing it to the politico and failing to keep the politico's copy "secure", i.e. letting the bar steward take it out of the loop/room/file, print a copy off/take a sneaky screenshot, etc.

One rule for us, no rules for politicians.
'Twas always so, and will remain so.

From The Times.

This is the stupidest link diagram I've ever seen, and I've trained a lot of intelligence analysts.

View attachment 403376

So from this I gather that...Isabel Oakeshott caused Brexit?
Looks as if that was drawn up by somebody who has read the first two chapters of the I2 manual and decided they are now ‘an Analyst’. IMHO there are far too many of them around: they can do pretty pictures and that’s about it.
If we’d produced something like that on the Anacapa course - pre-I2, and all done with pencil and ruler - we’d have failed with contumely.

Looks as if that was drawn up by somebody who has read the first two chapters of the I2 manual and decided they are now ‘an Analyst’. IMHO there are far too many of them around: they can do pretty pictures and that’s about it.
If we’d produced something like that on the Anacapa course - pre-I2, and all done with pencil and ruler - we’d have failed with contumely.
Now if Sir Kim had used words like "contumely", he'd have been in the clear, because no-one would have known what he was on about. I like it.

I imagine there will be quite a bit of contumely at Dulles in the next week or so when Sir Kim leaves the country :)

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I’m not sure either of you understands the purpose of an Embassy. I’ve worked in two missions and had a long secondment to State, and worked with the FCO until
very recently. An embassy is more than just trade; there are the other separate functions such as consular, political, defence relations, Intelligence and security, multilateral issues, aviation security, justice & home affairs, police, organised crime, migration, cultural...I could go on.
(snip)
Is it? Thanks Talleyrand, that would explain roles like Defence Attache. Phew, mystery solved.

Who's in charge of stating the obvious and penning non sequiturs at the FCO now you've moved on to greener pastures?

Is it? Thanks Talleyrand, that would explain roles like Defence Attache. Phew, mystery solved.

Who's in charge of stating the obvious and penning non sequiturs at the FCO now you've moved on to greener pastures?
Greener pastures? I have served both as a military and civilian diplomat; a year ago I was struck down with stage four cancer and now can no longer serve abroad. I work part time as a consultant as my treatment allows, whilst getting my affairs in order so that my wife and kids will have something to survive me.

I would give my eye-teeth to be back in the Diplomatic Service; a great bunch of educated and committed people who work incredibly hard to project HMG’s intent abroad.

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

Beyond the fact that both candidates were asked about it, I don't see how this could be a plot to do with the Tory leadership election.

Johnson is way out in front to the extent that probably one of the only ways he could actually lose, short of upskirting HMQ, would be to be caught plotting the downfall of a British Ambassador. Further, what would he achieve thereby?

As for Hunt, his department comes out of this looking like amateur night at the Palladium and generally out of control, not a good look if you're angling for the top job. Also, what's his guarantee that a dastardly plot to chuck one of his senior subordinates under the bus will result in some unknowable cataclysmic consequence for his rival or, worse still, backfire horribly?

My guess is that this is the work of someone closer to Darroch who decided to stitch him up for political or personal reasons, probably the latter.

Beyond the fact that both candidates were asked about it, I don't see how this could be a plot to do with the Tory leadership election.

Johnson is way out in front to the extent that probably one of the only ways he could actually lose, short of upskirting HMQ, would be to be caught plotting the downfall of a British Ambassador. Further, what would he achieve thereby?

As for Hunt, his department comes out of this looking like amateur night at the Palladium and generally out of control, not a good look if you're angling for the top job. Also, what's his guarantee that a dastardly plot to chuck one of his senior subordinates under the bus will result in some unknowable cataclysmic consequence for his rival or, worse still, backfire horribly?

My guess is that this is the work of someone closer to Darroch who decided to stitch him up for political or personal reasons, probably the latter.
More stuff you’ve made up as a contractor/lobbyist? Did you fail the FCO fast stream exams?

Remind us how you didn’t stop rampant corruption in the EU or when you persuaded Gordon Brown not to turn the oil and gas industry into a utility. When working as a lobbyist.

Jeebus H Christu, is there no end to the hysterical anti-Boris moonhowling? Looking at all the barbs shot at BJ over this almost from the second it was leaked, so orchestrated that if I was a moonhowler myself, and I'm not, you could lay all this on the stop BJ crowd or Remoaners wanting to spike a UK/USA trade deal post Brexit!

I take it none of you moonhowling anti-BJ crowd bothered to read:

Boris Johnson denies throwing former UK ambassador to the US 'under a bus'

Boris Johnson says he's not to blame for ambassador's ouster

Boris Johnson denies throwing former UK ambassador to the US 'under a bus'
The fact you’ve repeated the term ‘moon-howling’ almost as often as others have ‘Beyond pseudonymity: The sociotechnical structure of online military forums’ makes me inclined not to take this seriously.