UK Ambassador to USA resigns

One rather imagines the author failed to spot the class Synod clown wet liberal over the course of the weekend.

It doesn't gain credibility simply because it meets with your approval.

Still, the thread has turned out to be the usual Orange Man Bad love-in that we've come to expect on Arrse. With a bubbling, snitty undercurrent of Anyone But Boris.

No surprises there, then.
More man love? You spread yourself out thinly.

FWIW, I'd have the same opinion were it Obama, Vlad, Macron or whosoever.

The wig is a Oompa Loompa of incredibly bight orangeness though, he should patent it and sell it in NI, with the backing of the DUP of course. Real Orangemen.

I'm sure you're capable of googling it if you want to.

Welcome to a world where you're outnumbered by people younger than you. Keep an open mind, it doesn't have to be all bad.
Age and guile....

We still don't know what classification the leaked information was do we?
I think we have a good idea. Earlier posts on either this or the other thread indicated that Diptels are usually Official-sensitive. Of course this one may have been higher. In which case, it should be much easier to find the culprit as dissemination would be controlled to a vastly smaller number of people. Probably already know who it was, in fact. Given the absence of "a man in his 40s is being held at a Central London police station" type news, I'd say it was the lower classification, in line with posts of those who have been in, or with, the FCO and read this stuff.

Even if the leak is tied to the party leadership ballot in an attempt to influence the result, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want that job. Just as much as Sir Kim was doomed the instant this came out, the next PM, like the last one, is doomed to failure. In whatever manner Brexit is delivered, or not delivered, the result is going to piss off an awful lot of people.

One might say that this is a result of Cameron not listening, and paying lipservice to the perceived erosion of sovereignty at the time. He batted it off with an ill-conceived "in or out" referendum and got his arrse handed to him. As has PMTM, and PMBJ or PMJH will. What he should have done, is sat up, listened, and re-negotiated the terms of membership, under threat of leaving. And worded the referendum in such a way as to give him that political backing to re-negotiate, without committing himself to the abyss.

PMTM, Sir Kim Darroch, these two naive hopefuls, they're all casualties of that arrogant stupidity.
I hope I'm still around to see the historical view of this circus, amusing as it is.

I think we have a good idea. Earlier posts on either this or the other thread indicated that Diptels are usually Official-sensitive. Of course this one may have been higher. In which case, it should be much easier to find the culprit as dissemination would be controlled to a vastly smaller number of people. Probably already know who it was, in fact. Given the absence of "a man in his 40s is being held at a Central London police station" type news, I'd say it was the lower classification, in line with posts of those who have been in, or with, the FCO and read this stuff.
Well, if they did know and it was a minister for instance, do you reckon we'd have Inspector Knacker dragging anyone in? They'd let it die quietly.

More man love? You spread yourself out thinly.

FWIW, I'd have the same opinion were it Obama, Vlad, Macron or whosoever.

The wig is a Oompa Loompa of incredibly bight orangeness though, he should patent it and sell it in NI, with the backing of the DUP of course. Real Orangemen.
Hopefully, we are going to see a lot more 'wig-types' across Europe over the next couple of years. And then we can start returning Europe to Europe.

Hopefully, we are going to see a lot more 'wig-types' across Europe over the next couple of years. And then we can start returning Europe to Europe.
Cheers Indian bread guy....

Another Glorious Revolution from the House of Orange, perhaps?

Well, if they did know and it was a minister for instance, do you reckon we'd have Inspector Knacker dragging anyone in? They'd let it die quietly.
Yes I do. Because it would presently be PMTM's decision, and not only has she got form (Williamson), if I was her, I'd be in "fcuk you all" mode.

Interesting but I'm still not seeing any conversations that required an Ambassador and certainly no intelligence that wouldn't be known already by a good foreign correspondent.
I accept the potential value of the Embassy as a trade boosting benefit to the nation but I still don't see why the Ambassador was expected/allowed/encouraged to write in such a tone about his host.

It's not as though he, with his great wisdom and experience, was producing anything the UK Government couldn't get out of a few subscriptions to newspapers/magazines (AFAIK).

The man was doing his job as he saw it, fair enough, but I'm unconvinced that he adds any value in the first place. Maybe a simple trade delegation would suffice.
Their backgrounds maybe similar, their outlook is not. My experience is generally in-country, dealing with crunchy issues up to Presidential/Prime Ministerial level.
I’m not sure either of you understands the purpose of an Embassy. I’ve worked in two missions and had a long secondment to State, and worked with the FCO until
very recently. An embassy is more than just trade; there are the other separate functions such as consular, political, defence relations, Intelligence and security, multilateral issues, aviation security, justice & home affairs, police, organised crime, migration, cultural...I could go on.

And for the suggestion a good journo could do the work of the Ambo, I don’t know many reporters who have spent hours in negotiations with the HoS, hosted/been hosted for têt á têt, attended numerous and tedious receptions and drinks parties etc which is one thing Ambos do, as do their staff who help inform HOM of his views. Through this they get to know the interlocutors and the principal, and how he or she operates.

HoG/S tend to be on their best (or worst) behaviour in front of journalists and thus their views are necessarily snapshots.

Individual CS have individual views.
(In the whole, they tend to the left like many large, unionised public sector organisation).
Professionally, they are bound by the Civil Service Code
Civil Service: values and standards of behaviour
And the Official Secrets Act.
Basically, standards of integrity, impartiality, honesty and objectivity.

Leaking classified materiel to a frothing Brexiteer journo working for a rag like the Mail fails on all points.
...which is why I suspect a Party activist, probably a Special Adviser (SpAd) might be getting their collar felt one day.
SPADS would be my first port of call.

Yes I do. Because it would presently be PMTM's decision, and not only has she got form (Williamson), if I was her, I'd be in "fcuk you all" mode.
Who'd tell her?

Jeebus H Christu, is there no end to the hysterical anti-Boris moonhowling? Looking at all the barbs shot at BJ over this almost from the second it was leaked, so orchestrated that if I was a moonhowler myself, and I'm not, you could lay all this on the stop BJ crowd or Remoaners wanting to spike a UK/USA trade deal post Brexit!

I take it none of you moonhowling anti-BJ crowd bothered to read:

Boris Johnson denies throwing former UK ambassador to the US 'under a bus'

Boris Johnson says he's not to blame for ambassador's ouster

Stop gibbering.
I said that on the basis of who benefits from discrediting the Foreign Secretary by publicly destroying one of his most senior staff, when that FS is in a two horse race with Boris, then clearly the beneficiary is Boris .
No one else.

Boris can publicly deny "throwing the Ambassador under the bus" as much as he likes.
That carefully isn't the same as denying "One of my staff leaked some juicy gossip to a Faragist journo on the Mail for shits and giggles".

SPADS would be my first port of call.
In serious mode, a Brexit Party supporting Registry clerk or IT contractor.

There are at least two senior civil servants who have previously served as HOMs in protein-rich posts who have had their bottoms sniffed in the last day or two, and would be ideal nominees. HMAs have to be DVd to take up post, so that’s likely to exclude Mr Farage for about 6 months.

There are at least two senior civil servants who have previously served as HOMs in protein-rich posts who have had their bottoms sniffed in the last day or two, and would be ideal nominees. HMAs have to be DVd to take up post, so that’s likely to exclude Mr Farage for about 6 months.
I'd love to see Mr Farage getting a Darth Vader style vetting interview.

Jeebus H Christu, is there no end to the hysterical anti-Boris moonhowling? Looking at all the barbs shot at BJ over this almost from the second it was leaked, so orchestrated that if I was a moonhowler myself, and I'm not, you could lay all this on the stop BJ crowd or Remoaners wanting to spike a UK/USA trade deal post Brexit!

I take it none of you moonhowling anti-BJ crowd bothered to read:

Boris Johnson says he's not to blame for ambassador's ouster

Oh well that settles it, if a politician denies something then it can't be true.