UK Ambassador to USA resigns

Breaking News on SkyTV.

Kim Darroch has thrown in the towel. I guess he figured the grief he was getting was too much to put up with until retirement time, or was he asked to fall on his sword? I hope not the latter, as it further undermines the FCO and strengthens the hand and attitude of a bully who believes he can twitter-storm any result if he keeps shouting loud enough.

I think he was screwed, the contents of the despatched, once leaked, fatally undermined his ability to be an effective ambassador. The culprit here is the person who leaked.

Let's hope his replacement isn't rushed through by PMTM and a temporary caretaker is put in place. An appointment of this importance should be left to the incoming PM at the end of the month.

Let's hope his replacement isn't rushed through by PMTM and a temporary caretaker is put in place. An appointment of this importance should be left to the incoming PM at the end of the month.
The deputy head of mission will probably take over as charge d’affaires until the new one arrives. The FCO may well have already selected the replacement, but I suspect politics will mean any announcement is delayed until there’s a new PM.

Breaking News on SkyTV.

Kim Darroch has thrown in the towel. I guess he figured the grief he was getting was too much to put up with until retirement time, or was he asked to fall on his sword? I hope not the latter, as it further undermines the FCO and strengthens the hand and attitude of a bully who believes he can twitter-storm any result if he keeps shouting loud enough.
YOU WHAT.

He was a 1st degree idiot and should have kept his thoughts private and not stuck them in emails or memo's.

DTBA

Old-Salt
How many of the people insisting for him to remain in post and Trump to respect him would want the American ambassador to the UK to come out and say how inept and dysfunctional we were, then have the PM be nice to him?

How many of the people insisting for him to remain in post and Trump to respect him would want the American ambassador to the UK to come out and say how inept and dysfunctional we were, then have the PM be nice to him?
Because we all understand that is what happens?

YOU WHAT.

He was a 1st degree idiot and should have kept his thoughts private and not stuck them in emails or memo's.
He was specifically employed to transmit his thoughts back to the FCO.

Rule 1

Never, ever commit something to paper ( or pixels ) that you do not want coming back and biting you on the Arrse.

Basics
Even if it is via government approved secure means and that he was appointed because the government thought he was the best man for the job ?

I think he was screwed, the contents of the despatched, once leaked, fatally undermined his ability to be an effective ambassador. The culprit here is the person who leaked.
Absolutely, as soon as the leak happened there was zero chance he could remain as HM Ambassador to the United States. If nothing else the USA would have rapidly dropped "hints" in the right ears that he had to go.
The leaker not only threw a grenade at US-UK relations they have also committed a criminal breach of the OSA. Serious jail time should result.

Everybody in Government circles knows that Ambassadors and their staffs may well utterly despise the host nations officials they face off to and send "candid" reports back home, but that's fine so long as a complete arrsehat doesn't leak those reports to the press. Doubly so when faced with a Trump type that has no concept of self restraint.

Rule 1

Never, ever commit something to paper ( or pixels ) that you do not want coming back and biting you on the Arrse.

Basics
then no-one would write anything down.

His DipTels (which I read) were not very controversial. And certainly less so than other DipTels from other parts of the world (can you imagine what is coming out of Russia or China?).

He wrote them on a secure system, for a defined audience, and someone leaked them.

The leaker should be put in prison.

Even if it is via government approved secure means and that he was appointed because the government thought he was the best man for the job ?
Diplomatic staff all over the world are reading this forum right now while stuffing memos into the shredder. It's just as well we're here to tell them how to do their job.

Rule 1

Basics
As was mentionned above, the Ambassador is there to relay his/her thoughts about the host nation's policies, intentions, capabilities etc back to FCO. That is one of the main reasons for his/her existence.

Last edited:
Rule 1

Basics

Let's put it this way.

If Our Man in Washington reported that all was peachy, smooth and organised in the Colony, and the PM then watched the BBC, or read the papers, she would probably be on the phone to FCO asking "Who is that numbnuts we have in DC? Is he insane?"

Darroch has done the honourable thing, unlike the cnut who leaked the cables.

I speak as a Brexiter and a Trump supporter.

I may disagree with Darroch's assessments but he was simply doing the job he was paid to do and which diplomats have always been paid to do.

What is fair game to leak next? Psychiatric reports, confidential legal reports? Are professionals working for the government now going to be afraid to give their honest analysis and opinions on pressing government matters for fear of them being leaked?