UK Air defences????

OK - maybe it isn't you army guys I should be asking, but I've lately got to wondering:

I looked at how air power seems to have swung the balance in the Libyan civil war.

And I watched this: [LINK]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14568093[/LINK]

and I asked myself - just how do Britain's air defences stand?

Without the Americans to help us, how would Typhoons stack up against the T-50 - given that the Russians plan on exporting up to a thousand?

AWACS and Typhoon apart, just what air defences does the UK mainland have left? That's a genuine request for information, not a jibe. Did I read that Rapier has been retired?

OK - maybe it isn't you army guys I should be asking, but I've lately got to wondering:

I looked at how air power seems to have swung the balance in the Libyan civil war.

And I watched this: [LINK]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14568093[/LINK]

and I asked myself - just how do Britain's air defences stand?

Without the Americans to help us, how would Typhoons stack up against the T-50 - given that the Russians plan on exporting up to a thousand?

AWACS and Typhoon apart, just what air defences does the UK mainland have left? That's a genuine request for information, not a jibe. Did I read that Rapier has been retired?
your a poor hack if you cannot even find the pprune website.

Current UK air defences are comprised solely of a 74 year old man with a tabby cat who shouts "Get down from there you silly ****!" at said tabby when it climbs onto the bookshelf. It is believed this tactic will also work against any enemy aircraft, as long as they are piloted by cats.

Current UK air defences are comprised solely of a 74 year old man with a tabby cat who shouts "Get down from there you silly ****!" at said tabby when it climbs onto the bookshelf. It is believed this tactic will also work against any enemy aircraft, as long as they are piloted by cats.
I think you could be on to something there!!!

Don't forget the Womens' Auxiliary Balloon Corps

If I was a hack, I certainly wouldn't bother asking you ignorant shitheads. I don't bother with Pprune because planes aren't my primary interest, but I'm a regular on here. I asked a genuine question because I would be worried if my family end up serving in conflicts where we don't have air superiority, and enemy CAS is the dominant force. OK, right now the T-50 and Chinese J20 are potential rather than actual threats - but it seems likely they will be in service before we get the F35 (if we ever do).

And yes I know some people can never resist an opportunity to slag off the crabs - but there are enough people I've met who when they are being honest, admit they would have been in deep shit at times without air support.

If I was a hack, I certainly wouldn't bother asking you ignorant shitheads. I don't bother with Pprune because planes aren't my primary interest, but I'm a regular on here. I asked a genuine question because I would be worried if my family end up serving in conflicts where we don't have air superiority, and enemy CAS is the dominant force. OK, right now the T-50 and Chinese J20 are potential rather than actual threats - but it seems likely they will be in service before we get the F35 (if we ever do).

And yes I know some people can never resist an opportunity to slag off the crabs - but there are enough people I've met who when they are being honest, admit they would have been in deep shit at times without air support.
Oooh get her!

Don't be so sensitive Princess! I think we are slagging off the state of the country and the lack of funds rather than the quality of the RAF!

C

cloudbuster

The RAF Regiment will stand about all day, slack-jawed, pointing at the sky.

No great change there, then. 'Guins.

Please do accept my apologies,my advancing years lead me only to see the 1 of images and not your post counts,however you should know the RAF only works office hours according to most on here.

Who the **** are you to call the RAF crabs ? I want to bite your face off.

Air Defence!, Air Defence!, Hmmm, now I know we had one around here somewhere or other, Just wonder what we could have done with it, chap did mention that we had one at one time around 1940 or so, but I,m sure we had one since then, now where.......................................................................

Cadets with catapults, bows and arrows and air rifles. Quite effective against low flying aircraft. Apparently.

Oh, hold on... it seems that there are H&S issues with under 18s using any of the above weapons. They can be issued them in emergencies though, so I guess it will be 'on the job training' when the time comes.